Author Topic: Carrying a dog on a bike  (Read 16332 times)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Carrying a dog on a bike
« on: 15 July, 2010, 03:28:01 pm »
We're thinking of getting a dog. Would it be cruel or irresponsible to carry a dog on the rack of my Surly (inside something obviously) assuming the dog didn't mind? Would a trailer be better?

It'll be border terrier sized hopefully if that makes any difference.
a great mind thinks alike

Re: Carrying a dog on a bike
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2010, 03:46:32 pm »
Clicky. And scroll down.  :thumbsup:

Doesn't exactly answer your question though.
Don't ask.

« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2010, 03:51:57 pm »
It doesn't sound unreasonable to me.  At a guess you're talking 10 to 15 pounds in weight, about twice what Talisker (admittedly he's a cat) is, so a moderate weight to carry, especially since it can move about.

I think I'd be tempted to use a trailer, although it's possible that a one wheeled trailer like a Bob Yak or Ibex would be OK, rather than having to use something larger.

I don't see that it would be cruel, I'd imagine Dogs like being on bikes the same as they often like hanging their heads out of car windows.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2010, 06:42:35 pm »
You need a wicker basket you do.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2010, 08:55:15 pm »
Plenty of people do that.

My dog was nuts about it, when we took out the handle bar basket out of the cupboard, it was right in there. And was well disappointed when we told her that we weren't going cycling. She just loved laying there looking over the edge while my mum cycled.

Plenty of people also use trailers even touring.

We are also thinking about getting a dog and I will be putting the dog in the trailer.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2010, 09:00:46 pm »
If you did carry a dog on your rack you would have to ensure it was secured inside the said object.  The dog needs to be kept safe and other road users need to be safe from a dog getting loose and causing mayhem.  I have a dog trailer and a BOBYAK but the BOB is not suitable for carrying a dog. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2010, 09:10:06 pm »
One word: Bikejoring

« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2010, 09:22:14 pm »
A Yak could possibly be used to carry a small dog, but it's not optimal.  You'd have to fit a basket or box, and as Annie says some sort of leash attachment point.

As a trailer it doesn't like mass too high up, so I'd say it would only be worth experimenting if you already had one.  It could be expensive if it didn't work.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #8 on: 15 July, 2010, 09:39:31 pm »
One word: Bikejoring

A border terrier pulling a 90kg man on a heavy steel tourer... hmm, I don't think so.  ::-)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2010, 09:47:23 pm »
If you did carry a dog on your rack you would have to ensure it was secured inside the said object.  The dog needs to be kept safe and other road users need to be safe from a dog getting loose and causing mayhem. 

Absolutely. I am nothing if not quite responsible.

I have a dog trailer and a BOBYAK but the BOB is not suitable for carrying a dog.

A dog trailer? Seems OTT for a wee terrier but if that's what was required I'd have to I suppose.

« Reply #10 on: 15 July, 2010, 10:13:00 pm »
You need a wicker basket you do.

Oh yes  :thumbsup:

David Hembrow, basketmaker - Bicycles fitted with my baskets

Daisy our jack russell in her custom basket  ;)

« Reply #11 on: 15 July, 2010, 11:49:35 pm »
I used to carry my (large) Westie in a plastic crate strapped to the rear carrier.
He seemed very happy in there except when it was wet/muddy and he got crap flung onto him from the wheels (didn't have proper mud-guards).
I used his car harness threaded through a bungy to dissuade him from trying to get out 'though it wasn't really necessary since he just sat there enjoying the view.
Because I'm soft, I also put a piece of foam under his blanket to smooth the bumps out a little.
I don't have a digital photo of him on the bike but I'll try to find and scan a film (is that the right word ?) photo.
Here's a picture of him in the crate:-

When this picture was taken, we were going away for the weekend and stuff was being piled up in the hallway before it was loaded into the car. He got in the box to make sure that he wasn't forgotten.
Stupid, but smart at the same time  ;D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2010, 02:08:21 pm »
A Yak could possibly be used to carry a small dog, but it's not optimal.  You'd have to fit a basket or box, and as Annie says some sort of leash attachment point.
But how do you fit the yak to the bike? *boggles*
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #13 on: 18 July, 2010, 03:08:26 pm »
What a great idea JT.
Mrs G has a Hungarian Vizsla nowadays and he would be too big for a bar or rack basket but he would fit into a trailer.  However, I hanker for a Staffordshire Bull Terrier again.  If I trained him to sit in the basket I would be able to take him up to the nearby hills to let him run while I ride my MTB.

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #14 on: 18 July, 2010, 07:48:24 pm »
I take all three of mine MTB'ing but not during the summer months as it is far too hot. I usually ride for between 5 and 10 miles but took a while to work up to that distance.  One of the dogs can no longer keep up so she is left at home or pulled in the trailer.  It's a great workout in the winter.  Ellie runs on the right, Murphy on the left and Nina behind.  They know not to go in front of the bike, they only try that once and the consequences mean hurty bits for them.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #15 on: 20 July, 2010, 09:08:42 am »
Update:

Having planned to give a rescue dog a home, we've ended up getting a Border Terrier puppy (Ted). As Borders can run for long periods I'll probable get a Walkydog (must be an Italian company judging by the gratuitous sexy pics) - once Ted's trained and big enough.

« Reply #16 on: 20 July, 2010, 09:56:28 am »
Scott Wayland tours with his dog sometimes in a trailer
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/directory/?o=RrzKj&user=ScottandJodi&v=6u

and Terri runs her husky alongside her Trice
Terii’s Cycling Babble     .. not sure that would work here though.

The centre pic of the Walky dog advert must be the one for the non Italian market? :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #17 on: 20 July, 2010, 11:26:55 am »
With a big dog like Loke, I don't think you'd want to put him in a trailer and tow him yourself, it would be a lot of work!

On the other hand, with Django it's not so bad, since there's two adults to pull him along, and he obviously runs alongside the trike some of the time.

As I recall, most dogs are not going to be able to run with a bike or trike for much more than 20 miles, and probably only at a moderate pace then, so if you're going to tour with a dog, you've really got to have some way to carry him or her, unless you're planning on a really low mileage tour.

I'm a little suspicious of hitches to attach dogs to bikes.  Generally I think the argument against having a dog on a normal lead when cycling is that you are not in full control of your vehicle, should the dog decided to go a different route to you.  Arguably your dog is trained well enough not to do this, in which case it doesn't actually need to be a on a lead. :)

I know that some of these hitches claim that they are designed to allow the dog to go a bit off course, but I've still got my doubts that if a big dog, like either of those two, wants to go a different direction to you, that any give in the hitch is going to be sufficient to stop things go very askew very fast.

With dogs like Loke and Django attached to recumbent trikes, I think that argument is not such an issue, since it would take a lot of effort for them to pull the trike across, and probably impossible to tip it over, unlike a traditional upright safety bicycle.

So, you need a trailer and a recumbent to pull it. ;D

I loved this shot of Loke:

(If that doesn't appear it should be visible here).

« Reply #18 on: 20 July, 2010, 11:56:18 am »
I know that Django has boots and wears them to run alongside on the uphills or when the desert roads are very hot.  Loki has done a few longish runs but huskies are running dogs and it doesn't look like those Swedish roads are overcrowded.  :)

It's set me wondering about sitting in a trailer myself; I'll happily run alongside on the uphills.  ;D
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #19 on: 20 July, 2010, 05:57:58 pm »
Well I've got both a trailer (Pedaldog's Burley Tail Wagon) and a basket for the rear rack with a metal frame over it for our new doggie we're getting in a fortnight. I'll let you know how it goes...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #20 on: 20 July, 2010, 06:50:26 pm »
Make sure you get a dog-helmet.

Most dogs prefer WWII Wermacht style lids.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #21 on: 20 July, 2010, 06:53:04 pm »
Like this ?

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #22 on: 20 July, 2010, 06:55:26 pm »
I don't like the idea or the look of the Walky Dog.  Of the 4 dogs I have owned none would have enjoyed that device.  The idea of a basket attracts me more.  Put the dog in it and then go to a quiet place and let the dog run free so he can sniff etc to his heart's content.

« Reply #23 on: 20 July, 2010, 07:40:43 pm »
I have something similar to that walky dog thing Wildlife Supplies for Sale
I have adapted it to have 2 dogs running on my left using a spiral jogging lead attached to the end of the pole. The border collie I rescued in december is still learning about running with a pack leader on a bike and did manage to knock me off (when not on the lead thingy) once. The only problem I have is that she still pulls on her lead, so I tend to find I am getting little exercise as there is no need to pedal with her attached  ;D

There is one inherent flaw in the design of these things if you have a dog that pulls, however tight you make the bracket on the seat post it will tend to twist around. I have to use my left thigh to push it back again when this happens.

The first time I took my doggies on a long bike ride (20 miles ish) they both wore out their pads and had to lie on their backs for a couple of days while they healed :|

« Reply #24 on: 20 July, 2010, 08:29:16 pm »