Author Topic: + size women want their own clothing range designed  (Read 51189 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: + size women want their own clothing range designed
« Reply #175 on: 15 August, 2010, 12:42:01 pm »
I was struck by how slim Parisian waistlines were when I went to France last year. Corset wearing was not in evidence.
The waistline thing is one of my interests and does have medical implications.
We aren't all taller than the previous generation either. (I am shorter than both my mother and my late paternal grandmother but 4 inches taller than Julian.)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #176 on: 15 August, 2010, 12:45:17 pm »
nutkin was pointing out that actual clothing waist sizes have increased from the 1980s, not the 1910s.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #177 on: 15 August, 2010, 12:46:12 pm »
nutkin makes some excellent points.

She does indeed. But let's face it, she'd look good even in a bin bag!!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #178 on: 15 August, 2010, 12:59:12 pm »
I was struck by how slim Parisian waistlines were when I went to France last year.

The French eat less than Brits or Yanks.  They take their food more seriously, but they east less of it.  And although some things are changing for the worse there, it's still the case in France that eating healthily cuts across class boundaries, very much unlike here.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #179 on: 15 August, 2010, 02:48:02 pm »
nutkin makes some excellent points.

She does indeed. But let's face it, she'd look good even in a bin bag!!

Or in nothing at all, eh, bobb?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #180 on: 15 August, 2010, 02:54:11 pm »
Why does it matter to you what other people do with their bodies?

Now that is an interesting and thought provoking question.  I have been pondering this while gardening with Mrs G.

The short answer is I am not sure why.

The long answer uses examples to try and show why I don't know.
I have often talked about a heroin user I met in Salisbury many years ago.  Sadly I am not sure if he is still alive but in my heart of hearts I hope so.  He was more than a user, he was a dealer too.  But he was different because he was actually a really nice chap.  He was caught in a trap though.  His IQ was far greater than mine but his own self image was very low.  Whenever I stop searched him I probably did him no favours by not being all that thorough as he was not one of our trouble makers and aside from his 'homeless' look, you would not have known that he was different to anyone else.  I felt sorry for him and often wondered what had conspired in life to cause him to be where he was.  But I did think that if only certain aspects were different then he would be able to make a difference for himself and change his life and to get off and stop dealing the drugs.

I think I look at fat people in the same way.  They have a choice.  They can make a difference to themselves but I often wonder why they are the way they are and what has caused them to be in that place / state.  I often wonder if it is due to some traumatic experience in their younger years, poor parenting, bad dietary habits / choices, ignorance etc.  I feel sorry for them.  I pity them.  

When you look at the children and they are mirroring the parents then I really start to wonder where we are going as a society by enabling, permitting, causing this to continue.

Starving a child falls under neglect and amounts to cruelty.  Permitting a child to get so obese that they cannot function properly and with recent studies showing that mortality is greatly increased along with problems later in life a certainty, yet that does not fall into neglect, as yet.  Perhaps it should.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #181 on: 15 August, 2010, 03:59:46 pm »
I was struck by how slim Parisian waistlines were when I went to France last year.

The French eat less than Brits or Yanks.  They take their food more seriously, but they east less of it.  And although some things are changing for the worse there, it's still the case in France that eating healthily cuts across class boundaries, very much unlike here.

You have never shared a table with me!

We eat lots but we have different courses so it is more difficult to get our diet wrong.

A decade ago some American scientists came over to Brittany to try to understand why on earth we don't die aged 30 with all the butter we eat. They came to the conclusion that may be all the apples we eat counteract the effect of the butter. Why not?

Nevertheless we consider processed food uncool and it is harder to find out of season stuff effectively forcing us to vary our diet, I suspect this has more to do with our waistlines.
Chief cat entertainer.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #182 on: 15 August, 2010, 04:12:07 pm »
I think Panoramixes point reinforces the previous one that the French (and various other nations) take food more seriously than the British or the Americans. They may eat as much, or they may eat less, but they tend to do so more thoughtfully, on the whole. I'm sure this has an impact on the incidence of obesity, but I doubt very much if it's the whole story.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #183 on: 15 August, 2010, 04:12:59 pm »
Bobb... At risk of sounding offensive, but without wanting to be, I will say this. You do drink a large amount of alcohol a large amount of the time. Though I don't know you I do know, just through living in a Polish village where it's the norm for most of the adult male population, a lot of people who are habitual drunkards (and many, even most, of them ride bikes!) and every single one of them is skinny. Skinny is not the norm for Polish villagers who do not drink all day every day (and double on Sundays). You may not be in the same condtion as them, but I don't think you'd want to head that way either.

To go back off topic....

Cudz, I'm not offended, but I would like to point out that I don't drink all day every day!

Also, my sister who is 40 and has had 2 children is still super skinny. And she hardly drinks at all and never has. It's in our genes. Or should that be (difficult to get decent fitting) jeans?  :P

OK, as you were...
I'm glad both that you're not offended and about the rest of it!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #184 on: 15 August, 2010, 04:15:11 pm »
I reckon, but this is only a reckon, that men don't vary in shape so much as women..

I reckon you are wrong.  Why would there be a difference? 

Men mostly wear what women's fashion call 'separates'. There is no assumption that if you have, for example a 40 inch chest, you will have a 34" waist or 32" inner leg. You can buy a jumper to fit your chest and trousers to fit waist and legs. This is not usually a size n. Stock sizing and shaping is part of the problem.

The other part of the problem is 'curviness'. Some women have big breasts, some don't, all on the same sized thorax. And then there's the huge variation in hip size for a given waist size...

I thought amost everyone knew this...
Pretty much what I was thinking of. Except I hadn't actually given much thought to the "separates" thing - I wonder if priests find it difficult to get robes to fit?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #185 on: 15 August, 2010, 04:22:42 pm »
Priests' robes only need to fit at the shoulders and can otherwise be tent-like.
I suppose different lengths would be useful.

They don't have to fit at the chest and waist and hip and end of torso.

Boiler suits would be a greater challenge.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #186 on: 15 August, 2010, 05:08:47 pm »
I think I look at fat people in the same way.  They have a choice.  They can make a difference to themselves but I often wonder why they are the way they are and what has caused them to be in that place / state.  I often wonder if it is due to some traumatic experience in their younger years, poor parenting, bad dietary habits / choices, ignorance etc.  I feel sorry for them.  I pity them. 

I'm a sturdy girl.  I used to be thin, but more often then not in my life, I've been fat.  Right now, despite being 5'10 and 12st7lbs, I'm still overweight and if truth be told, I'd rather be lighter because I've got wobbly bits I don't like.

There's no root cause or trauma in my life that makes me a bit fatter than I should be.  I just am.  I like food, but my metabolic rate isn't so fast that I don't have to watch what I eat most of the time.  Me and 95% of the rest of the women I know.  That's how it is.

So you can take your pity and you can roll it up into a meaty little privilege-and-prejudice burrito and shove it where the sun doesn't shine because how my body looks and how it functions is none of your damned business.  You might take this into consideration before passing comment on how a woman looks in future.

>:(
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #187 on: 15 August, 2010, 05:10:25 pm »
I apologise for being fat, for being a burden on all you slim people and for spoiling the image of all you fit cyclists. I must immediately change the indulgent lifestyle I so obviously enjoy. Just tell me what I need to do to be like you.

I'm an agriculturalist by training. Different breeds/strains tend towards different fat contents. It is a highly heritable factor - I think at least one person here knows about pigs - the fat cover of pigs has been decreased rapidly by selective breeding, not diet. Pigs are the closest animal to us in many ways.

Of course, there were no overweight people in Belsen. Extreme diets can alter body fat content. If, say, Mrs Grub ( no offence, but she has been mentioned as someone who is naturally low in fat) ate 3 meals of chips/day and drank 8 pints a night she MIGHT put on weight. However, most overweight people I talk to don't have extreme diets, they spent their lives trying to eat in moderation.

If it was easy to lose weight wouldn't us unacceptably fat people do it? - after all, this thread has proved what pariahs we have become. Believe me, it would be great to be slim and "fit".

« Reply #188 on: 15 August, 2010, 05:34:30 pm »
I think I look at fat people in the same way.  They have a choice.  They can make a difference to themselves but I often wonder why they are the way they are and what has caused them to be in that place / state.  I often wonder if it is due to some traumatic experience in their younger years, poor parenting, bad dietary habits / choices, ignorance etc.  I feel sorry for them.  I pity them.  

So you can take your pity and you can roll it up into a meaty little privilege-and-prejudice burrito and shove it where the sun doesn't shine because how my body looks and how it functions is none of your damned business.  You might take this into consideration before passing comment on how a woman looks in future.

I was not commenting upon anyone in particular.  In actual fact, I think I the only person I referred directly to was either myself or Mrs G.  I was asked a question and I answered it honestly.  It was not meant to cause offence.

I pity myself too as I am also overweight.  Aside from a very small window of my life when I was trying to meet the stringent qualifying criteria to join the police in Australia have I ever been truly fit and low in body fat.  I was also probably at the peak time in my life for a male so maybe that helped.  Since then I have been on a very gradual and sometimes not so gradual decline.  Although I had not thought about it, something that Hellymedic stated upthread rang a bell with me - concerning trouser tightness.  I use that as an indicator of whether I am winning my battle or losing it.  My work trousers have not changed sizes over the years.  I have purposefully kept them the same so I can watch my waist and feel it either grow or decline.  My heriditable fat is from my father's side.  At present I expect my appearance would be more troublesome to my mother as my face has less weight on it than ever before for the last 20 or so years.  I don't look dissimilar to how my father did just before that last bit of cancer ate him up.  I have cheek bones now.
But I still have excess fat around my waist.  I am not happy about that.

I shall shove my pity for you up my arse as long as you reassure me it is not weight gaining.

« Reply #189 on: 15 August, 2010, 06:27:54 pm »
Right now, despite being 5'10 and 12st7lbs, I'm still overweight and if truth be told, I'd rather be lighter because I've got wobbly bits I don't like

Likewise, substituting 6'1" and 90 kg. I don't think anyone on the forum is likely to fall into the ranges I am thinking of in my posts above; I am thinking of people who at a relatively young age are finding a 15 minute walk on the flat a bit of a struggle in the absence of any underlying health issues.

There is something wrong when there is so much avoidable ill health that is very often related to lifestyle and diet. It's a legitimate subject for debate. To do so is not to say that people over such and such a weight or size are pariahs, and it is possible to have such a debate without involving "pity" or comments on how people "look".

« Reply #190 on: 15 August, 2010, 06:32:20 pm »
I apologise for being fat, for being a burden on all you slim people and for spoiling the image of all you fit cyclists. I must immediately change the indulgent lifestyle I so obviously enjoy. Just tell me what I need to do to be like you.

I'm an agriculturalist by training. Different breeds/strains tend towards different fat contents. It is a highly heritable factor - I think at least one person here knows about pigs - the fat cover of pigs has been decreased rapidly by selective breeding, not diet. Pigs are the closest animal to us in many ways.

Of course, there were no overweight people in Belsen. Extreme diets can alter body fat content. If, say, Mrs Grub ( no offence, but she has been mentioned as someone who is naturally low in fat) ate 3 meals of chips/day and drank 8 pints a night she MIGHT put on weight. However, most overweight people I talk to don't have extreme diets, they spent their lives trying to eat in moderation.

If it was easy to lose weight wouldn't us unacceptably fat people do it? - after all, this thread has proved what pariahs we have become. Believe me, it would be great to be slim and "fit".

None of what you have said, Paul, stands up  once you consider the massive rise in obesity over the last decade or two.

Peoples genes haven't changed drastically over this time period, but their eating habits and lifestyles have.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #191 on: 15 August, 2010, 07:42:25 pm »
I think I look at fat people in the same way.  They have a choice.  They can make a difference to themselves but I often wonder why they are the way they are and what has caused them to be in that place / state.  I often wonder if it is due to some traumatic experience in their younger years, poor parenting, bad dietary habits / choices, ignorance etc.  I feel sorry for them.  I pity them. 

So you can take your pity and you can roll it up into a meaty little privilege-and-prejudice burrito and shove it where the sun doesn't shine because how my body looks and how it functions is none of your damned business.  You might take this into consideration before passing comment on how a woman looks in future.

I was not commenting upon anyone in particular.  In actual fact, I think I the only person I referred directly to was either myself or Mrs G.  I was asked a question and I answered it honestly.  It was not meant to cause offence.

I've been reading this thread since last night, and have bitten my tongue trying to avoid saying more or less what Charlotte has just said.  She's a lot more polite than I am, and my post was heading towards being just two words.  You can probably guess what they would be. The judgemental (and rather patronising) nature of your assessment of others is part of what makes it offensive, whether you intend it that way or not.

I pity myself too as I am also overweight.  Aside from a very small window of my life when I was trying to meet the stringent qualifying criteria to join the police in Australia have I ever been truly fit and low in body fat.  I was also probably at the peak time in my life for a male so maybe that helped.  Since then I have been on a very gradual and sometimes not so gradual decline.  Although I had not thought about it, something that Hellymedic stated upthread rang a bell with me - concerning trouser tightness.  I use that as an indicator of whether I am winning my battle or losing it.  My work trousers have not changed sizes over the years.  I have purposefully kept them the same so I can watch my waist and feel it either grow or decline.  My heriditable fat is from my father's side.  At present I expect my appearance would be more troublesome to my mother as my face has less weight on it than ever before for the last 20 or so years.  I don't look dissimilar to how my father did just before that last bit of cancer ate him up.  I have cheek bones now.
But I still have excess fat around my waist.  I am not happy about that.

Did it ever occur to you that this thread, along with the one about obsessing over how you look on your bike, says a hell of a lot more about you than about the people you're observing?

You seem to have a problem with your assessment of your weight - yet you project it as pity onto others.  You claim you're comfortable on your bike, yet you start a thread which reads to me as though your psyche is far from comfortable.  Actually, I'd be more concerned about your unhappiness about your midriff fat than about anything else.  The above reads like someone who is desperately unhappy about himself, and tries to judge everyone else from within his own unhappiness, without realising that the judging is part of the problem.

"Fit" and "low in body fat" are not necessarily the same thing.  High protein + low energy (fat/carb) diets can cause calcium loss, not something we should induce in most people, especially females.  People with high numbers of adipose cells are inclined to lose weight less easily that those with lower numbers of larger cells, and the number of fat cells in the adult can be heavily influenced by diet during early growth.  It's a complex subject, to the point that exercise physiology is a specialist branch of medicine.  Just assuming that someone 'has a choice' and chooses to be obese is so far from being right I can't let it stand.  The last time I was at the 'healthy' weight for my height I was living on nerves, black coffee and cigarettes.  If I train I put weight on.  I tend towards lumps of muscle, rather than the stringy long-distance whippet shape, despite riding 60-100 miles per week commuting, and topping that up with (say) a 40 miler at the weekend.  For me, the only valid measure of how fit I am is based on my resting b.p., heart rate, and my recovery time, all of which are good enough that my doctor calls me 'depressingly' healthy even though by the book I'm something like two stone overweight.  I gave up using the scales for that reason - they bear no resemblance to what is healthy for me.  Having someone else judge based on appearance would be equally stupid.

I should perhaps add that at this size and shape, very few cycling companies make clothing to fit me.  Female clothing, and in particular cycling wear, makes no account of muscularity, with or without extra layers of fat.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Zoidburg

« Reply #192 on: 15 August, 2010, 07:51:31 pm »
This will be the second health and fitness thread that has turned into an argument  with dodgy personal comments being exchanged and before anyone points a finger I would point out that it takes two to tango.

:facepalm:

« Reply #193 on: 15 August, 2010, 07:53:56 pm »
Redshift,

Thanks for your observation about my psyche.  I had thought that as well actually.  My mood depends a lot upon my sugar level to be honest and therefore that will effect the way I perceive my self no doubt.
I don't try and sound patronising.  I was trying to explain as clearly as I could to avoid being misunderstood.

I'm glad you mentioned the medical science bit at the end of your second paragraph.  That reminded me about the chap that the GB squad and Sky have working for them as a dietician.  He is also a doctor I believe.  

Wouldn't it be nice if we all had access to a real 'sports expert' to assist us to get to where we wanted to be, weight wise.  

Only for those that want to though, not for those that are happy with the shape they are.

« Reply #194 on: 15 August, 2010, 08:07:56 pm »

None of what you have said, Paul, stands up  once you consider the massive rise in obesity over the last decade or two.

Peoples genes haven't changed drastically over this time period, but their eating habits and lifestyles have.

But there was an extreme diet imposed until the mid 1950s - rationing.

Even then some people (e.g. my Father) managed to achieve 20 stone!

« Reply #195 on: 15 August, 2010, 08:16:28 pm »
That is true, but that extreme diet also looks to be quite a healthy one too.  The point I am making is the truly massive shift even in the last 15 years is nothing to do with genes, it can't be! It has everything to do with behaviour. Eating is just one part of it. 

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #196 on: 15 August, 2010, 08:21:25 pm »
This will be the second health and fitness thread that has turned into an argument  with dodgy personal comments being exchanged and before anyone points a finger I would point out that it takes two to tango.

:facepalm:

Sorry Zoids.   :-\  I'm trying to be constructive - that's why I slept on it before replying!

Thanks for your observation about my psyche.  I had thought that as well actually.  My mood depends a lot upon my sugar level to be honest and therefore that will effect the way I perceive my self no doubt.
I don't try and sound patronising.  I was trying to explain as clearly as I could to avoid being misunderstood.

I'd forgotten the diabetes.  Yes, that will colour your judgement - I was truly antisocial when I was depressed, and part of that was the not eating properly and screwing up the brain/body chemistry. I wouldn't have willingly gone for a drink with me, if you see what I mean?

I'm glad you mentioned the medical science bit at the end of your second paragraph.  That reminded me about the chap that the GB squad and Sky have working for them as a dietician.  He is also a doctor I believe. 

Wouldn't it be nice if we all had access to a real 'sports expert' to assist us to get to where we wanted to be, weight wise. 

Only for those that want to though, not for those that are happy with the shape they are.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #197 on: 15 August, 2010, 08:40:00 pm »
Right now, despite being 5'10 and 12st7lbs, I'm still overweight and if truth be told, I'd rather be lighter because I've got wobbly bits I don't like

Likewise, substituting 6'1" and 90 kg. I don't think anyone on the forum is likely to fall into the ranges I am thinking of in my posts above; I am thinking of people who at a relatively young age are finding a 15 minute walk on the flat a bit of a struggle in the absence of any underlying health issues.

There is something wrong when there is so much avoidable ill health that is very often related to lifestyle and diet. It's a legitimate subject for debate. To do so is not to say that people over such and such a weight or size are pariahs, and it is possible to have such a debate without involving "pity" or comments on how people "look".

Hear, hear Sergeant Pluck...

It is amazing how nasty and personal this thread has suddenly become. 

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #198 on: 15 August, 2010, 09:32:07 pm »
It goes with the territory. It cuts to the heart of identity, self-esteem and liberty.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #199 on: 15 August, 2010, 09:54:31 pm »
It's quite strange that while other types of potentially harmful behaviour such as smoking can be freely criticised, being extremely overweight seems to warrant some kind of protected status.

Surely it that smoking, drinking, drug-abuse, sky-diving etc etc etc are things that you do - they are behaviours.

Being fat is what you ARE.

And there have probably been points where I might have failed that 15 minute test, although for most of my life I've been in the 'fat but fairly fit' category.  I've lost the best part of three stone this year, and could shed as much again and still be resoundingly in the obese range.