Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 234519 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #150 on: 04 December, 2011, 04:52:05 pm »
Rikki Fredo and the Fucktones on 2nd December at the Grosvenor pub in Brixton.  They do regular gigs in support of the LCEF.  I still have the hangover.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #151 on: 04 December, 2011, 06:43:35 pm »
Plastikman on Friday night. Having been a major influence on my life I knew I couldn't miss this.

As a technical acheivement, it was a glimpse of what shows in the future might be. He appears inside a cage made of a video led wall tha you can see through to see him, but then the video images sort of float in mid air in front of him. Quite a unique sight.

Then there was the synk app on your phone. Not only did he send us updates whilst he was preparing to do the show, once it started, the app would buzz and thngs would happen, sometimes the graphics benign sown on the video wall would augment with the phone, sometimes video feed from inside his cage. Other times, they'd be words on the phone screen and the server would detect the word that the most people are pressing that second and that word would then be played in the music, it was all weird, but just goes to show what is possible.

Musically, it was incredible. He is a man who has developed from just running a couple of 909s and 303s to everything being controlled from a couple of iPads. Totally on top of his game.

The last act was to step out in front of the cage and get back to basics with a couple of boxes and a mixer for a pretty brutal rendition of Spastik.

Hard, relentless, minimal, Detroit techno. Doesn't get much better.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #152 on: 31 January, 2012, 10:37:04 am »
Half Man Half Biscuit at the Robin2 in Bilston. Very good, but not great. After the Dean Friedman appearance at the same venue in 9/10, I'm getting a little picky.

NB57 was on good form & playing acoustic. The old favourites were churned out and went down well. Some off the new album were played. As I had trouble shoehorning people out of The Trumpet, we missed Joy in Leeuwarden - one of my favourite tracks off 90 Bisodol. A good time was had by all, but The Olde White Rose in Bilston let us down pre-gig by only having one person behind the bar to cater for the dozens of punters I'd pointed to the place. No cover song played in the encore.

30 songs of joy & madness for £16. Bargain!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #153 on: 31 January, 2012, 10:44:43 am »
Explosions In The Sky, Brixton Academy, last Friday.  Well up to snuff, now appear to have turned into a five-piece.  Sadly Christina was feeling too unwell even to make it through support act Lanterns On The Lake and went home early chiz.  Double chiz at it was her birthday present >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LindaG

« Reply #154 on: 19 February, 2012, 10:31:51 pm »
Some folk fiddler.  As part of my midlife crisis I'm trying lots of new stuff - including this, with two friends.

My god I thought it would never end.

And the three of us were so polite we clapped for ages at the end - so he did an encore  :facepalm:

I just wish crusty had gone so he could have blogged about it.  Me and my mate Helen couldn't look at each other, without snorting with laughter.

But we all laughed so much about it on the way home we were in tears.  So not a total dead loss.

But £15 for that!

No doubt it was a virtuoso performance, but totally wasted on us lot.

« Reply #155 on: 19 February, 2012, 10:41:48 pm »
went to see Matilda at the Cambridge theatre yesterday for a family christmas present.

A fabulous show, Tim Minchin has held to a lot of the plot and set pieces which kept the children in audience entertained whilst adding to some of the characterisations  a level of humour that kept the adults laughing.

Matilda rightly stars but the supporting roles of Miss Honey, Trunchball, and the Wormwoods all help. The costume for Trunchball is obviously inspired by the Quintin Blake illustrations.  :thumbsup:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #156 on: 25 February, 2012, 03:05:12 am »
Skrillex at Koko

It was fab, sound and light were great :) It's the first time I was there from soundcheck to performance.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #157 on: 25 February, 2012, 09:46:34 am »
Lonnie Donegan Jnr.

Yes, really.

Performing his old man's stuff.

Brilliant.

And I knew far too many of the words.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #158 on: 25 February, 2012, 10:28:25 am »
Nicknack, I love Lonnie Donegan, too and will be doing several of his songs in the pub tonight.  Do you like Joe Brown?  He does a really good show and is on tour at the moment.  I'm hoping to catch him in Halifax in March.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #159 on: 25 February, 2012, 10:36:40 am »
Lonnie Donegan & Joe Brown :thumbsup:

am I really that old? ::-)

« Reply #160 on: 25 February, 2012, 10:40:17 am »
Probably not, but I am, Al!

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #161 on: 25 February, 2012, 11:10:05 am »
Nicknack, I love Lonnie Donegan, too and will be doing several of his songs in the pub tonight.  Do you like Joe Brown?  He does a really good show and is on tour at the moment.  I'm hoping to catch him in Halifax in March.

TBH it's not really my thing at all (ie. not prog, jazz, etc.). However, there was a big enough element of nostalgia (I'm just about old enough to remember a fair amount of it) and it's always a pleasure to see good musicians at work. I wouldn't mind playing some of that stuff - I'm sure I could think of a way of stuffing a tenor sax solo into it - and I wouldn't mind seeing Mr Brown (or his loverly daughter, for that matter) but I don't suppose I'll get round to it.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #162 on: 25 February, 2012, 12:18:16 pm »
Seen Joe Brown a couple of times at festivals. Always good value.

Even if you don't particularly like the style of music after 50 years in the business a guy like that knows pretty much everything there is to know about keeping an audience entertained.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #163 on: 27 February, 2012, 01:23:08 pm »
The Green Rock River Band, in a dingy railway arch in Horley.

We're a London based lively folk / bluegrass band, with dollops of doom based country, fiddles, mandolins, nasty songs of death, poor parenting skills, cuckoos and electric geese

What's not to like? And I danced with someone I was at school with. Last time I  danced with her it was in Country Dancing lessons back in 1971.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

LindaG

« Reply #164 on: 28 February, 2012, 01:00:56 pm »
The Green Rock River Band, in a dingy railway arch in Horley.

We're a London based lively folk / bluegrass band, with dollops of doom based country, fiddles, mandolins, nasty songs of death, poor parenting skills, cuckoos and electric geese

What's not to like? And I danced with someone I was at school with. Last time I  danced with her it was in Country Dancing lessons back in 1971.

Why, they are rather fun, aren't they?   :D

« Reply #165 on: 28 February, 2012, 01:13:27 pm »
Rammstein, at the London O2 last friday. The sound was actually quite decent (for a change), I had a reasonable view of the stage in floor standing, and was about 10 ft from the riser platform nearer the centre of the floor where the band made their entrance, and later returned to for one song and some crowd-wetting..

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #166 on: 28 February, 2012, 10:14:32 pm »
Rammstein, at the London O2 last friday. The sound was actually quite decent (for a change), I had a reasonable view of the stage in floor standing, and was about 10 ft from the riser platform nearer the centre of the floor where the band made their entrance, and later returned to for one song and some crowd-wetting..

I was there too- right hand side of the riser, stayed there all night. The spray was 'refreshing' :)

« Reply #167 on: 02 March, 2012, 07:09:32 pm »
Terry Seabrook's Milestones at the Capstone Theatre in Liverpool.  Rather good..

A review (not mine) here http://gerryco23.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/a-different-kind-of-blue/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #168 on: 06 March, 2012, 05:22:42 am »
Laura Marling in Bristol. She's wonderful. She can have my babies if she likes

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #169 on: 31 May, 2012, 08:59:03 am »
Went to see Gary Numan in Cambridge last night. I was slightly sceptical - he's done nothing notable for years and I wasn't sure I needed to see a mirror image of myself (50's, bit out of shape, sagging etc) made up like a teenager and singing stuff from prehistory.

Well, it was bloody great! Gary worked himself and the audience like a Trojan, and his band was über-tight. The songs kept coming, with only one or two that were perhaps a bit weak. The light show and video background were superbly done, and the inevitable '80s encore was outstanding. Gary and his band really enjoyed themselves, and so did we.

Recommended!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #170 on: 31 May, 2012, 11:13:16 pm »
Just back from seeing Andy Twyman in a low dive coffee bar in East Grinstead. One man band blues, with a bit of gob iron and one string diddly bow. Oh yes. And I bought a CD.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #171 on: 02 June, 2012, 04:15:09 pm »
The Heritage Orchestra and Scanner doing "Live Transmission", which was more inspired by Joy Division than remake of, which was a good way to go - and a great nearly in the round with projections stage setup.

LindaG

« Reply #172 on: 03 June, 2012, 03:45:49 pm »
Not a gig, exactly, but there were some drum-and-pipers busking in Glasgow yesterday and they were goooood.   Wish I'd bought the CD but the panniers were full.  Dressed up like extras from the first bit of Highlander they were, all leather jerkins and ponytails and kilts.  A good look.

« Reply #173 on: 03 June, 2012, 05:19:51 pm »
Bob Mould and friends playing 'Copper Blue' in its entirety with nary a pause (except for 1,2,3,4 ...) at the Shepherds Bush Empire on Friday night. Loud, hot and rocking.
They went on to play some new stuff due for release in the autumn and some Husker Dü faves. Great night out.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hg7VzWWxHVs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/hg7VzWWxHVs&rel=1</a>
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

fuzzy

« Reply #174 on: 04 June, 2012, 02:43:30 pm »
Coldplay at The Emirates on Saturday evening.

I know a lot of folk run them down but they sure as hell put on a great live show. I was up in the gods so unaware of the ongoing weather until Chris did an impromptu chorus of 'Singing in the rain'. Apparently it pissed down for most of their set but they didn't bat an eyelid.

Supported by Rita Ora (not my scene but OK) and Robyn who was great.

The only downside was the chaos in getting home. The tube was a mare to get onto. I guess upwards of 60,000 gig goers all need the train whereas a full stadium of footy fans dispersed slower.