Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 234523 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #425 on: 27 January, 2014, 04:42:35 pm »
Quite good.  The rock & bluegrass mix didnt end up as good as I'd thought but their slower numbers were good. Short and sweet gig.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #426 on: 27 January, 2014, 05:19:48 pm »
I didn't go see it as they came to our place but I watched an amazingly moving performance by Caroline Kraabel on sax having a musical conversation/romance with Cleveland Watkiss doing what he does best, beatbox/sing etc.

The whole place went silent, and everyone left their spots at the door/bar etc and came and sat down and watched for 30/40minutes. It really was something.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #427 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:53:23 pm »
Well, that's a first.  Didn't bother staying to the end!

A gig that failed my newly invented 'elbow test'; historically the similarly subjective 'arse test' is one I deploy as a method of assessing theatre, dating from the time I studied theatre at Lancaster and saw a lot of shows in the rather uncomfortably-chaired Nuffield Theatre there.  It more or less comprises of asking oneself "did I notice that these chairs are really uncomfortable or was the performance engrossing enough that I got through the (three hour interval-less modernist theatre meisterwerk) show without my arse complaining".  I shall in future apply a similar test to gigs... do I like 'em enough to not care about the amount of being trodden on, walked through and, specifically, elbowed in the face.  By this measure I can tell you that Otway, where I got my left tit groped, must be really quite good because I didn't care too much.  Allo Darlin' in Islington just landed on the right side of the line despite lurchy-groping-couple-bouncing-into-me-specifically-the-wrong-elbow-a-lot.  Patti Smith was worth "Waving Pink Gin Girl" - although admittedly in that case I didn't actually get hit on the head with the bottle, unlike Ruthie.

So... last night, the joy of Fibbers.  We'd seen one section of the audience get kicked out of the pub round the corner 5 minutes earlier.  It was full of happy bouncy people, most of whom were very tall.  Fibbers gives the average shortarse three choices in these circumstances - at the front and very squished, at the back in the talky bar bit where you can't hear or see or somewhere in between, hoping to hear above the chatter and maybe see some of the time and we opted for the latter.  I occasionally got a glimpse of some hair...  A Very Enthusiastic Fan did offer me a lift onto his shoulders, which was kind, but I'm not that generous to the region's chiropractors and declined.  Very many very tall people (seriously, they should have a special enclosure for 'em) including the tallest man at the gig - immediately in front of me, natch - who was obviously a handy waymarker for people navigating between friends and bar/bogs since everyone seemed to treat him as a kind of roundabout.  He was also very, very elbow-y.  And the elbows were nose height.   There was a lot of dancing and bouncing and cheering and stomping, by an audience who were clearly listening to the prior knowledge of the music in their heads, unlike me.  Bright side, we missed the Blueprints (I've done my 2013 quota of BPs gigs) and nearly all of the other support who didn't seem very good at all.

Electric 6 headlining, btw.  Who I can't tell if I like or not because I could neither hear nor see 'em.  The curse of Fibbers.  Went back to the pub after track no 5 and had a jolly fine pint of Bad Kitty and a nice natter with the landord instead.

It doesn't matter how tall you are there is always someone taller than you about two places in front.  I can speak from experience of (a) being tall and (b) plenty of gigs.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #428 on: 07 February, 2014, 06:55:39 pm »
I'm slacking again.  Shocking!

Anyhoo - last Wednesday was the Wave Pictures, once more at the Brudenell.  Support was the same lot as supported 'em in York one time last year - Finnsummatoranother - but now with added drummer and keyboards.  I spent most of their set worrying about the bassist wandering perilously close to the edge of the stage and wondering why they'd got the lass on keyboards because I didn't see the point.  They ended with their best song which, like last time, was actually quite good.  Then the rest of the band left the singer/guitar chap on his own and he sang some incomprehensible dirge that went on too long.  Adequate.

Wave Pictures were, once again, jolly good indeed.  I'd have quite liked another one sung by drummer Jonny "Huddersfield" Helm, because I really like the ones he sings quite a lot, but if he's only going to do one then "Give me a second chance" isn't a bad choice.  They did some fast ones and slow ones and loud ones and a couple of very quiet ones and no bad ones at all.  Just the one support this time meant the good people got on stage relatively early and still did a decent length set.  Then two encores, which included the SmallestCub's favourite (the spaghetti song, if you were wondering, and he's very jealous that I heard it live) and we still made it to the station in time for the last train.  So that was my (*counts on fingers*) fourth WPs gig, now.  I'll be off to see 'em again in a few weeks. 

Then yesterday, having done some very complicated negotiations to swap days off and stuff, I did a flyer from school and successfully completed a 2 bus and 2 trains journey to the seaside.

Ross Wilson (of Blue Rose Code) and Bella Hardy, in a totally bonkers hippy hotel with a harbour view in Whitby.  Down the stairs to the basement where you could put 20p in the Madame La Rosa machine to get your fortune told or admire, by the light of tealights sat in seashells and strings of fairy lights, a subset of the place's eccentric collection of objets and ephemera.   Artfully displayed pillboxes under glass, anyone?  Who knew there were so many varieties of ex-lax tin... and so few people in the audience.  A dozen or so of us seated on gold-painted opera chairs around the densely packed and creaky tables - just too many to necessitate actual introductions but few enough mean you couldn't just feck off to the pub if you realised you didn't like the talent without it being really really obvious.

Support was a bunch of terribly sweet, middle class, reasonably competent kids.  Skinny lad on guitar introduced the lass on vocals (but then proceeded to do most of the singing himself, really) and the 'joins them sometimes' fiddle player.  Apparently they normally have a drummer but can't fit them in La Rosa.  I quite liked her voice, and there were some pretty harmonies and stuff, but nothing exciting.  I was in a good mood, so they didn't annoy and actually made me a little cheerfully nostalgic. The first pint of the year while listening night have helped too.  Come back in a few years when they have summat to say.  Although I didn't get their names...

I went because of Ross Wilson who I saw by accident in York once and then on purpose near Thirsk another time.  Bella Hardy was a new one to me, and I liked her.  Fiddle and voice and humour and warmth.  The two of them together I liked a lot.  More beer was drunk, more stories told, and an eclectic mix of songs were sung.  Of the three performances I've seen by Wilson, the first is still my favourite but this one was pretty bloody good too. 

Since a night experiencing the quirky delights of La Rosa is rather beyond my budget it was a stomp down to the harbour then up the steps to the YHA that awaited at the end of the show.  Whitby YHA is an absolute gem too - highly recommended.  Then this morning the dread discovery that Arbut's caff, beloved of trawler-men and zombie-like goths and night-riding forumites, is up for sale and wasn't open for breakfast.  The Singing Kettle, round the corner, did a pretty good scrambled eggs and mushrooms to fuel me up for a meander along the pier then up to the cinder track to go and admire the viaduct.  Then back to the station for the train to 'boro - realising halfway there that Mr Wilson himself was a bit further up the carriage.  I left him in peace though and he was last seen toting guitars, presumably off to his apparently sold out gig at the Victoria, and getting on the Saltburn train on the platform opposite where I was waiting for my connecting service home.

A decent start to the weekend, that.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #429 on: 07 February, 2014, 09:34:14 pm »
Anyhoo - last Wednesday was the Wave Pictures, once more at the Brudenell.  Support was the same lot as supported 'em in York one time last year - Finnsummatoranother - but now with added drummer and keyboards.  I spent most of their set worrying about the bassist wandering perilously close to the edge of the stage and wondering why they'd got the lass on keyboards because I didn't see the point.  They ended with their best song which, like last time, was actually quite good.  Then the rest of the band left the singer/guitar chap on his own and he sang some incomprehensible dirge that went on too long.  Adequate.
Finnmark, I believe it was.
They should have called themselves "Tonight, Matthew, we're going to be Joy Division. Or New Order. Or possibly both. Or neither"

CrinklyLion

« Reply #430 on: 14 February, 2014, 06:00:28 pm »
Last night, at the Arts Centre in Pocklington, Mark Thomas on his 100 Acts of Minor Dissent tour.

I committed a minor bit of rule breaking myself, by sitting in not-my-booked-seat to avoid the very tall person in front.  But I waited til the house lights went down and the next seat along remained one of the handful of untaken ones in a very nearly full house because, after all, this is Pocklington.  It's a terribly polite spot.  There was lots of laughter and a fair bit of applause and a few sharp intakes of breath but very little heckling - though he did comment in response to one audience member's "Well then you're a tosser aren't you!" near the end that he is always happy to work with mixed-ability hecklers :)  Thomas does a fairly convincing impersonation of a Pocklingtonian disapproving-folded-arms 'tut', incidentally, which makes him sound alarmingly like Granny Annie in a grump.

Very funny, very rude and frequently thought provoking which is as I would have expected from my vague recollections of watching the Mark Thomas Comedy Product as a young'un.  I particularly liked his very much by the way comment that there was one thing, really, that he needed to make life complete.  A handcarved mug.  Made from the skull of Gove.

Recommended - both the venue and the show.

(Less recommended is the late night, kipping on Granny Annie's sofa and having to catch the 6:35 bus to work in the morning.  ZZZZZzzzzzz......)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #431 on: 16 February, 2014, 10:07:25 pm »
Kodo last night in Poole. Second time I've seen them. Absolutely awesome, again.

Ruth

« Reply #432 on: 17 February, 2014, 10:17:34 am »
The Boys, last night at the A.S.E. Engineers social club in Darlo.

This was the band they hired for the last Ball at my work, I'd been told they were a fantastic covers band.

They weren't.

They were four blokes karaoke-ing to backing tracks whilst dancing in a Four Tops kinda style.  It was quite entertaining, and for what it was it was good I suppose, they were never trying to be a real band.  The dancing and singing was pretty polished, and there's no harm in a good sing-along whilst teetering round the dance floor at the club in your ridiculous heels (not me - band shirt, jeans, DMs).  I was so bored.

The queue for the bar was 30 people long, there was no decent draught ale, so I ended up drinking three pints of wifebeater and staggering home after the bingo.  Ah well.

Saturday night, however, was The Boxer Rebellion at the Brudenell Social Club in Leeds.  I had a choice this weekend, catch the last half of the act after work at the Sage in Gateshead on Friday, or miss the end of the gig in Leeds to get the last train back.  I opted for the latter.

The support, Christof, was surprisingly very good, one bloke, nice voice, guitar, harmonica, topknot.  You get the picture.

I really, really like this band's recorded music,  but was kind of wary in case the subtle keyboard sound would be lost in a live context.  Didn't need to worry, they were fabulous, luckily for me they did some of my favourite stuff as soon as they came on so I didn't feel like I'd missed out too much.  Four lovely handsome boys who can really play.  The bass player was a bit, er, unique, with his nice quiff.  He seemed to have some kind of Mod/Smiths thing going on with his performance that I couldn't quite figure out.  Button-down shirt tight to the neck.  Stiff, controlled arm movements.  Who does that remind me of?

I think my favourite bit was when they did 'New York' from the new album, 'Promises'.  All their music is very rhythm-driven, but the three instrumentalists picked up sticks and did an almost pure rhythm backing to the vocals and a teeny weeny bit of keyboard, to make the song sound even more powerful live than it is on the CD.  Loved that.  A close second was 'We've Got This Place Surrounded', which is from way back when, and a wonderful song.

It was annoying to have to leave before the end though.  Another massive queue for the bar, but not as bad as in Darlo, and they have some decent beers.  So that was all right.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #433 on: 18 February, 2014, 01:46:37 am »
I can tell you the last gig I didn't go to - Swim Deep at Koko in Camden tonight.

Did taxi duty for the callow youth and his beloved and was half minded to join them inside, but judging by the queue, it was a very young crowd and I would have felt like the oldest swinger in town at the school disco. So I left them to it and repaired to a hostelry where I whiled away the evening by nursing a pint and reading a good book. Most pleasant.

I noticed several "cool" parents accompanying their kids to the gig. Word to the wise: some environments are not appropriate for people our age.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #434 on: 19 February, 2014, 09:10:51 am »
I went to see TOY last night. The likely people to go with were all busy the next day, so I was on my own in the back third with the other older folk and with enough space that I could see what was going on. I'm really not very good at describing music...
First act were some quite likeable locals mostly playing to their friends and relatives who I think were trying to channel something between the Stooges and Joy Division.
Second up was The Proper Ornaments, who were new to me but good enough live that I bought the CD. I haven't listened to it yet and I fear that a producer might aim for jangly pop with them. Live they had a great guitars and harmonies energy, with just enough noise to give them a full sound with a bit of an edge.
Toy were a good translation of their recorded sound, which I sum up as lots of phasers and a bit of moog but driven rather than ethereal. There may have been noisy moments, which I quite like. However, it may be that I'm now an old git, but the PA could have done with turning back down to 10 (I'm sure the support weren't as loud). However, all in all, very enjoyable.
Brisk walk to the station and in bed by midnight.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #435 on: 22 February, 2014, 03:24:39 pm »
Laura Cantrell, at the Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal.

I saw her last year in Gateshead's Little Theatre, and fell a little bit in love, tbh.  And the Brewery seems to get some good people in touring and some decent reviews, so I've fancied going to see something there for a while.  So when I spotted a LC gig on a night that the Cubs were away at their dad's and I didn't have work in the morning and everything, I was very tempted indeed.  So much so that I asked billplumtree otp if I might prevail upon him for a place to crash in Kendal(ish) and a lift to Actually Kendal and back so that I could effect a minor invasion of CrinklyChaos into his otherwise peaceful existence... Oh, and did he fancy a gig btw?

The Brewery is indeed very nice indeed.  With time for a drink before doors, we wandered through an exhibition of paintings that failed to impress me, what with me having spent a while earlier in the day admiring from a spot on the pier the infinitely superior skies of Arnside and all that, to find the bar and, in my case, a pint.  My third-anna-bit of the year!  There was a snotty woman who objected to us co-opting part of the extremely huge table that she and her mother had 'dibsed' with coats, towels-on-the-sun-lounger-stylee.  We offered to share but she wasn't impressed.

The Malt Room is cosy and low ceilinged with a plenty of pillars that could be irritating but weren't for me.  Very polite audience.  We were glad to see that the stroppy woman didn't appear to be in the audience.  Or, at least, not visible to us.  No support - straight in to Ms Cantrell's first set, accompanied by the same guitarist as was in Gateshead.  He didn't try to pinch any fags or tell stories about pizza this time though.  The contrast between them works, on many levels.  Three songs in before she even said hello... and, oddly, a couple of moments early on when it felt a touch precarious.  A spot of mild speaker buzz from the left was a tad annoying and, I thought, it was all a bit unnecessarily over-amped.  I love the sweet sharp precision of her singing and, from my seat in the third row, couldn't help wondering if it wouldn't sound better without the sound system.  But they, and the audience seemed to warm up a little a few more songs in.  The slide guitar came out to play and a stonking rendition of Queen of The Coast prompted me to send a jealousy-inducing text to That Deano who I recalled has a real soft spot for that particular track.  And then we got Someday Sparrow which is one of my favourites from the latest album, which made me ver' happy indeed. SmallestCub will probably forgive me that she closed the first set with his second favourite - Yonder Comes A Freight Train - since once again there was no Big Wheel, which is his number one Laura Cantrell song by quite some margin.  The second half felt more confident and the audience more responsive.  A good mix of her previous recordings, the new album and an unrecorded track - from memory, the same one she did in Gateshead.  Apart from that and a cover and Kitty Wells Dresses I appeared to know all the words which I suspect might mean I am officially A Fan.  They finished the second set with, as she told us, 'the song that brought her' namely Not The Trembling Kind.  I could have happily listened to as much again, so was glad when after putting the guitars down and taking a couple of bows they looked at each other and came back to the mics saying "We're too old to pretend.  And anyway (pointing to the sides of the stage) there's nowhere to go!" to give an encore.

She is delicious.  And also in her introduction to to Letter She Sent had a conversational diversion into talking briefly about Girls, the TV series.  Which meant in one night I got to hear the delightfully slightly prim-appearing twinset-wearing Laura Cantrell sing The Whiskey Makes You Sweeter and also utter the word promiscuous with a most impish look. 

*Charlotte-esque little moment*

CrinklyLion

« Reply #436 on: 23 February, 2014, 11:10:26 am »
The Random Pick gig.  Always a gamble.... but y'know when you go to a gig purely speculatively because, well, you can?  And you haven't got a better plan?  And then with star-aligning simplicity it works out rather well and you end up really glad that you did?

That.

So, last night was the last night of half term that the Cubs were away.  There were a several of gigs that I'd really have liked to have gone to, but they were mostly in places that really didn't make sense - with complicated or impossible travel.  Or in new venues in mildly awkward places, and I'm a bit rubbish at new venues on my tod.  But I noticed that Pock Arts Centre had something on.  The publicity bumph made Anais Mitchell sound good, but then that's its job.  However a bit of Songkick rummaging for listings elsewhere accidentally showed up that she was also touring a couple of other venues I like and that lots of artists I like have played at.  That isn't a guarantee, but it's often a good sign.  I could have gone and listened to her, of course... but there's been a couple of acts, like Dolfish and Sallie Ford, where that strategy nearly meant I didn't go and they ended up being excellent random picks.  Then Bella Hardy, who I saw and liked in Whitby a couple of weeks ago, tweeted or facebooked or something about being excited about going to the Radio 2 Folk Awards (she won, btw - Folk Singer of the Year) and name-checked Anais Mitchell and the dots joined up so last week when I went to Mark Thomas with my sister not OTP I asked her if she, and any of her dog-walking mates, fancied going along to Ms Mitchell.  The dog walkers weren't game, but Granny Annie was up for it so we got the tickets.  I did actually listen to a couple of her albums on the bus on the way to Pock.  Quirky and interesting but possibly a bit too clever for me, I thought and I was mildly ambivalent but open-minded as last night found us negotiating the wheelchair into the Arts Centre lift.  The foyer was full of the usual Pocklington worthies, many dressed in their glad rags for an evening of musical entertainment.  A cluster of out-of-place looking 20-somethings and hipsters didn't seem to fit the typical Pocklingtonian demographic and in their absence I suspect I'd have been right at the bottom end of the age spread in the audience.  The wheelchair spaces in 'the box' were available too, so we all got to sit there without complicated transferring manoeuvres.  Right at the back but with a stonking good view - better than our booked seats - and it ain't exactly a big space.

Support was a chap called Phil, although he performs as Hip Hatchet.  This being Pock he was on stage exactly on time. Skinny jeans.  Check shirt.  Black rimmed glasses.  The biggest beard I've seen on stage for quite some time.  Hipster-tastic.  He said hello, and I realised that at the very least I wouldn't have to find an American accent irritating since he is in fact American. Some extended tuning followed - as he said, he'd made a schoolboy error by changing his strings before the show but he really hadn't wanted to be That Guy who was swapping his guitar strings on the train - before the finger picking started.  For a handful of bars he continued to tune, head on one side in concentration, then once finally happy started in earnest.  I really am no expert but it certainly sounded impressive.... Then, from the biggest beard I've seen on stage for some time, emerged the biggest voice I think I've heard.  Ever.  Half a dozen notes in my sister turned to look at me with eyebrows raised high (she does have our dad's rather impressive eyebrows and often uses them expressively to great effect) and just mouthed 'Wow!'.  Deep, sometimes deceptively sweet, and with a quarry-load of grit and gravel on demand. Between songs as he retuned the misbehaving new strings there was wit and dry humour and the odd explanation of some of the americanisms in the lyrics.  We got a couple of those explanations mid song too.  He has apparently been touring since September (I did wonder if he'd just forgotten to pack a razor, hence the beard) and commented at one point, looking out at the rows of Pocklington's finest in their finery and velvet seats, how very lovely it was to not be in a pub tonight.  Densely wordy and sometimes darkly humorous, he trod a precarious line between a set that was cohesive and one that risked seeming a bit same-y but as it washed over me I found I was happy listening to it and wanted more so I think he judged it right.  I think Granny Annie liked him less, probably because she couldn't keep up with the flow rate of words and he strikes me as a singer where hearing the words counts.  We all listened politely, applauded appreciatively and by the end of his 30 minute set he warranted a shitload of clapping and even a few whoops.  The interval gave me a chance to run over to the cash point to get the dosh to pay m'sis back for the tickets, buy her a very delicious if massively expensive ice cream tub, and pick up a card (so that I could look him up later on Spotify) from the merch desk where his last few CDs were already selling out.  I'll be doing some listening.

Then Anais Mitchell took to the stage.  Cowboy boots, mini skirt and pixie good looks.  No band, just her and her guitar.  She discovered that her tuner was playing up and cursed our growing dependence on technology before launching into her first track.  That quirky voice, live, seemed to have a depth and weight and edge to it that I hadn't quite expected.  At the end of the song my sister looked at me and commented "That was just... beautiful."  And it was.  She did some from Hadestown, her folk opera about the story of Orpheus, and several that were from her Young Man in America album and one traditional one that she just won an award for, with Jefferson Hamer, at the Radio 2 folk awards.  She seemed a bit shell shocked that she'd just performed it in the Royal Albert Hall but didn't seem to feel that Pock was a _massive_ comedown after that.  After about half an hour she asked if there was anything anyone particularly wanted her to play and the requests came thick and fast.  Confessing to being a bit nervous about some of them she managed to fit almost all of them in to the set and commented that it is quite nice to get that bit of audience validation when you're worrying that your set list is a bit miserable and maybe you should play something a little more uplifting but then all the requests are for the most depressing songs you ever wrote.  She got Pock singing along a couple of times although, in fairness, that's relatively easy to do as they do like a singalong.  I think my favourite might have been "Tailor", to which we got a complicated back story and discovered it had started off being about oil drilling in Texas and ended up being about nothing to do with oil whatsoever.  Enthusiastic audience appreciation brought her back for an encore that brought her whoops and cheers along with applause at the end and a fair few of the audience on their feet.  Then she popped backstage to check on her 6 month old daughter, who has apparently responded to her first international trip by adopting a rock'n'roll timetable of staying up til 2 then sleeping til 11, before heading down to the foyer to sign CDs which were selling like hot cakes.

They're both playing tonight in Sheffield, at the City Hall, tonight then he has a few other shows (Stafford, Battle, St Leonards On Sea, London) before heading back to the states at the end of the month.  She has about a dozen UK dates to go.  http://anaismitchell.com/tour/

Well worth a listen if they are in your neck of the woods.

ETA - oh, and the slightly out-of-place young'uns, it turned out, were on the same bus back to York as me and headed to the uni.  Students in Pock.  Definitely a bit out of place.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #437 on: 28 February, 2014, 12:54:28 am »
This one

http://www.thebasementyork.co.uk/news-item/301/

After a few weeks of terribly mellow folk and country and tuneful stuff, I thought I'd see how something a bit more raucous fitted with my Thursday mood.  Nobody wanted to come with me.  Maybe the suggestion of an evening of Casual Sex in the Basement for just a fiver didn't appeal?

First support, the Valmores, were just finishing their last song when I got there.  I could hear them from the top of the stairs in the cinema when I got there, so shall summarise them with the word "loud".  They later managed to nark me generally so don't deserve more than that one word of review, musically.

A short break during which I bought a ginger beer, and reflected on the fact that the audience was a terribly odd mix.  Nearly half of 'em teenage lads with artful hair.  A selection of middle aged blokes who I am quite sure wanted to be playing air guitar most of the night.  A couple of couples and a cluster of parental-looking people round some tables to one side... my suspicions were proved correct later when they turned out to be the roadies of the support.  Oh, and Joe, of course.  Everybody's favourite promoter. 

Second support was The Article.  Also loud.  Floppy haired teenagers concentrating hard.  Drummer (he's called Cameron, and is easily young enough to be my child) looked in pain.  Bassist and, later, synth player, scarcely opened his eyes and had a serious case of wandering feet so nearly sent a couple of mic stands flying.  Lead singer/guitarist managed to pingfuckit three plectrums over the course of the set.  Obviously he's used to this, as he had a supply of spares in a pocket.  Not really my kind of thing, they did a selection of mostly original tracks with  mildly inaudible lyrics and one cover of "Ever Fallen in Love" that didn't really do it for me, I have to say.  The last couple of songs seemed a bit stronger, but I wouldn't bother to turn out on time (or an hour late for doors, as I was today) for the sake of catching this lot again.  Audience seemed fairly enthusiastic, mind.

A second short break and I had a quick word with Joe, who apparently has a top gig lined up at the Brudenell this weekend and hadn't clocked that the Wave Pictures AND Stanley Brinks AND Freschard are playing Wakefield next week until I told him, then on to the main attraction.

They were described as post-punk from Glasgow.  Call Trading Standards!  With that advertisement I'd expect a proper accent.... actually, the lead singer did point out that while he lives in Glasgow he quite clearly and obviously isn't from there.  Manchester, via Brighton, apparently.  A four piece line up, all dressed in black.  Drummer appeared to be a nose pointing out from behind his long dark swishable-as-a-timotei-advert hair.  Tall skinny chap who had been right at the front for most of the support's set, clapping them and being a Good Audience Memeber, turned out to be a guitarist.  Bassist (with no beard) chipped in with a spot of backing vocals.  Lead singer, who finished the first song then stopped to reapply his lippy, also on guitars.  Also loud, but rather more adept and with a spot of wit and knowingness that the painfully sincere support couldn't muster.  Not really my usual style, but entertaining and good fun and they might grow on me.  Throughout their set one of the first support was wandering around distractingly.  His girlfriend did a fair bit of that too.  And his parents.  Although his mum was toe-tapping and clapping along, in her suit and all.  Various friends and relatives kept on nattering and bimbling about.  First support chap wandered off to the 'green room' in a very 'look at me I AM the band!' way and then came back and despite being stupidly tall decided to stand directly in front of me to have his conversation with the table.  I found this a tad irritating, given that there was probably only 30 people in the audience so nobody needed to stand in front of anybody, and anyway he had a chair just in front of him.  During one track the first support lot did lots of extended saying goodbyes and hugs with various people and a fair percentage of the floppy-haired awkward teens and suspiciously parental-looking people left before the last 3 or 4 numbers.  Shame really, because they sounded pretty good.  I thought about buying a t-shirt for a certain Mr Fassbender otp (as is my occasional habit at gigs) but decided it could be one of Those Gifts and didn't....

« Reply #438 on: 28 February, 2014, 08:49:30 am »
Eric Church in the O2 Glasgow last night.  :thumbsup:   A good bit rockier than I thought it would be, but none the worse for that.

« Reply #439 on: 01 March, 2014, 01:11:25 am »
The Impossible Gentlemen , as part of the Liverpool International Jazz Festival.   Youtube Video below.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mediFH0hkpA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mediFH0hkpA&rel=1</a>

Followed by Marley Chingus at the Caledonia in Liverpool.  Video below

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dWm_ku1znTg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/dWm_ku1znTg&rel=1</a>
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #440 on: 01 March, 2014, 08:56:49 am »
Probably the Corries in 1967
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #441 on: 04 March, 2014, 03:02:59 pm »
Graveltones, last night at the Garage, Highbury & Islington.  Never seen a drummer hit the drums so hard.  Very loud and very good.  Catch them while you can.  Acts with the energy, commitment and precision of these two do not come along very often.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #442 on: 04 March, 2014, 05:57:09 pm »
I can't remember :( Probably Scroobius Pip and B Dolan in Bristol, which was probably a couple of years ago.

I need gig plans  >:(

« Reply #443 on: 11 March, 2014, 12:16:36 am »
Just back from seeing Martin Simpson at Nettlebed Folk Club.

Great gig as usual from such a skilled musician. Lots of tracks from the Prodigal Son album but ranged from Heartbreak Hotel to Lead Belly to Scottish Folk Ballads.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #444 on: 11 March, 2014, 01:11:24 am »
Just got back from Camel at the Birmingham Town Hall.
As we settled into our seats, I looked around and thought to myself, "Blimey, everyone's really old .... oh hang on... :facepalm:  "
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #445 on: 15 March, 2014, 11:28:53 am »
Heading over to Manchester tonight to see the Tord Gustavesen Ensemble at RNCM.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6pH3rhCT03I&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6pH3rhCT03I&rel=1</a>

A review of their Barbican gig with more videos http://gerryco23.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/tord-gustavsen/

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #446 on: 15 March, 2014, 01:40:19 pm »
Seznec Bros. at An Lanntair, Stornoway last night :-)

« Reply #447 on: 18 March, 2014, 09:21:27 am »
Maxïmo Park, at The Waterfront in Norwich.
This is the third time I've seen them, and I think the least-brilliant. I didn't much like the venue with its claustrophobic low ceiling and we found ourselves positioned behind people who were on a night out, rather than there to see the band. I resisted getting all mumsy and telling them to shut up or fuck off as I thought it would probably ruin my evening, rather than just marring it.
The support were meh. I told Chris they sounded like the warm up track for 5 minutes at zone 2. Unfortunately they went on for a lot longer than that.
I'm as close to fandom with the Park as I'll get to anything, so they couldn't really screw it up, and didn't. Their latest album doesn't really have many tracks that lend themselves to good gigging (not really participatory enough) but I did like the performance, and they reeled out the old favourites with panache.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #448 on: 30 March, 2014, 10:27:37 am »
Friday night at Norwich Arts Centre: 65daysofstatic supported by Thought Forms.

The support were ok - typical quiet/loud shoegaze with indistinct vocals - might well d/l the album to see whether studio production does them some justice.

65dos were magnificent - a set that was a nice mix between the new album & back catalogue, great sound quality & good banter with the audience from a band who obviously enjoy performing.  :thumbsup:
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

fuzzy

« Reply #449 on: 30 March, 2014, 08:40:52 pm »
Last Tuesday evening was spent at the Betsey Trotswood on Faringdon Road EC1 (ish) where The German Comedy Ambassador was fleshing out and rehearsing his upcoming tour Eins, Zwei, DIY. I think Henning is a good laugh and he didn't dissapoint, even when the material didn't work as he hoped.

The jollity was preceded by some pints and dinner- lamb and chorizo pie, mash, peas and gravy. The mash was smooth and tasty, the peas had good flavour, the gravy was nice and rich and the pie- oh Gods, the pie! The pies sold out in no time flat. If you are in the Betsey and lamb and chorizo pie is on the menu, do it :thumbsup: