Author Topic: Yay, I'm going camping!  (Read 13775 times)

Yay, I'm going camping!
« on: 15 May, 2011, 09:55:25 pm »
Went out for coffee with some friends today and hatched a plan to go camping on May Bank Holiday weekend. Only 2 nights, and only 30 miles from home at the most, but MFWHTBAB says he doesn't mind me going without him (he's previously expressed a desire not to camp, although apparently he's willing to give it a go later in the year), so I'm in!

I haven't camped since Presteigne last year, and that was by car, and I've never camped by bike in a moving-on-each-day way, only by riding somewhere and setting up for a few days. It feels like a proper adventure and I feel ridiculously excited.

Tent - check.
Bag - check.
Mat - check.
Trangia - check.
Spork - check!

Now, to hope I can fit it all on the Catrike.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Re: Yay, I'm going camping!
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2011, 09:57:05 pm »
Yay  :thumbsup:

Good to see your spork is on the pack list!

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2011, 10:35:38 pm »
I only have plastic sporks, but I do have two, a small one and a big one for cooking!  Never used them yet!

In an developement, MFWHTBAB at first said he'd be busy but I should go. He's now talking about building a trailer for the KMX and coming along!  :o

Considering that he said early in our relationship that he didn't do camping, I'm impressed by his courage. Or devotion. Or madness.

I'm also afraid I'll break him!

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2011, 10:37:47 pm »
He'll be fine. Make sure he has a decent mat and sleeping bag though. Most people's objection to camping is the cold/discomfort and if you deal with that, they have fun :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:15:19 am »
^ She knows, you know ^
</Hilda Baker>

*campingenvy* *

* We got back from camping yesterday.  I want to go again. *sigh*
Getting there...

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:21:20 am »
I only have plastic sporks, but I do have two, a small one and a big one for cooking!  Never used them yet!

don't leave them too long  in the food if it have boil for a few minutes, I did that and now my spork
 are looking mighty strange, but it's still fully functional  :facepalm:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:26:11 am »
Arch, do you have a two tricyclist-sized tent?  So long as it's not when we're camping you're welcome to borrow ours.  And I have a full length and reasonably thick Alpkits inflating mat YourFWHTBAB can borrow, and a variety of sleeping bags and liners.  The Cub might even let him borrow his spork, if he wanted.  It's not ti, but it is metal and it folds  :thumbsup:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:38:28 am »
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2011, 05:46:46 pm »
Arch, do you have a two tricyclist-sized tent?  So long as it's not when we're camping you're welcome to borrow ours.  And I have a full length and reasonably thick Alpkits inflating mat YourFWHTBAB can borrow, and a variety of sleeping bags and liners.  The Cub might even let him borrow his spork, if he wanted.  It's not ti, but it is metal and it folds  :thumbsup:

That's very kind, and I'll keep you posted. I have been offered a tent to borrow by the friends I'm going with, and then everyso often I remember that I HAVE ONE MYSELF (A 12 year old Coleman Aspen with two porch options I bought for going on digs*) but it's too big for carrying on a bike for camping solo.  Given that MFWHTBAB's attendance may be reliant on him building himself a trailer for the Rat trike, he can lug that bit!  The bag and mat may well be useful, thank you, I'll be in touch if they are needed. 

Knowing MFWHTBAB, he'll probably have constructed his own spork out of chipboard and scaffolding poles or something.... 

It's intended to be a very easy going trip, with evening meals at pubs, and 25 miles the longest day's ride to get back from Ripley.

*I probably ought to get it out and air it and check it for holes and stuff, as it's not been used for years.

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2011, 06:10:35 pm »
i have wild country venturi 2 which you could use if it helps and a selection of trailers you could  borrow  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2011, 07:21:27 pm »
i have wild country venturi 2 which you could use if it helps and a selection of trailers you could  borrow  :)

Thanks for that, I'll bear it in mind. 

Knowing MFWHTBAB's prediliction for oversized engineering solutions, he may turn up with his car trailer...   ;)

« Reply #11 on: 18 May, 2011, 06:18:21 pm »
He's building a trailer....  ;D

We're going to look for a sleeping bag for him at the weekend, I'll borrow other stuff he needs, but he fancies his own bag. We won't want to spend big money (he doesn't have much spare, and he may hate camping - I know there's an issue of cheap gear putting people off, but I'm hoping we'll manage a compromise), and will probably be looking in outlets like Argos, Millets or Blacks. 

Any advice?  I'm assuming mummy, down, and something 3 season is best, just because that's what I have. I've heard you all talk about liners, are they worth having? He's something like 5 foot 9 and a bit wider than me, do bags have sizes? I know there's some room in mine to wriggle, but not much.

He seems keen. It's rather flattering, given how un-keen he seemed previously, that he'll put himself through this with me!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #12 on: 18 May, 2011, 06:25:03 pm »
I got a cheap and cheerful one from mountain warehouse, up at the designer outlet, that seems fine.

« Reply #13 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:26:22 pm »

We're going to look for a sleeping bag for him at the weekend, I'll borrow other stuff he needs, but he fancies his own bag. We won't want to spend big money (he doesn't have much spare, and he may hate camping - I know there's an issue of cheap gear putting people off, but I'm hoping we'll manage a compromise), and will probably be looking in outlets like Argos, Millets or Blacks. 

Any advice?  I'm assuming mummy, down, and something 3 season is best, just because that's what I have. I've heard you all talk about liners, are they worth having? He's something like 5 foot 9 and a bit wider than me, do bags have sizes? I know there's some room in mine to wriggle, but not much.

He seems keen. It's rather flattering, given how un-keen he seemed previously, that he'll put himself through this with me!

Don't know if of any use but I am pretty sure Tesco have a camping promo on at the moment & I think that they had a bag for about £15 insteasd of £30 that looked reasonable & came with compression sack

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #14 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:44:17 pm »

Thanks for that, I'll bear it in mind. 

Knowing MFWHTBAB's prediliction for oversized engineering solutions, he may turn up with his car trailer...   ;)

New & Used Trailers - Horsebox, Livestock, Plant, Tippers, Car Transporters, Flatbed, Box Van, Parts - New & Used Trailers - Horsebox, Livestock, Plant, Tippers, Car Transporters, Flatbed, Box Van, Spares

HTH ;)

« Reply #15 on: 18 May, 2011, 08:19:01 pm »

1. The better bags come in lengths, probably not widths.

2. Mummy bags are a closer fit so retain body heat better, at the expense of being able to toss and turn. They also pack smaller and weigh less.

3. A silk liner will add warmth and comfort to any cheap bag. It will also keep the bag clean, if you end up borrowing or if YFWHTBAB doesn't like washing sleeping bags for any reason. Synthetic liners will do the same, but they're not as nice to sleep in.

4. At the lower end of the price spectrum, synthetic fill is better value for money, IMO. Good down is expensive, and making a down sleeping bag that won't leak all it's down or allow the down to clump up is more involved than it would seem at first glance.

5. A 2-3 season bag should be plenty. Too warm a bag is like sleeping in an overheated room, you wake up sweaty, dehydrated and not well rested. If the bag is a touch too light, wear a knit hat to bed.

« Reply #16 on: 18 May, 2011, 08:37:05 pm »
Brilliant, thanks everyone. We'll have a spree at the weekend. I may get myself a liner too.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 18 May, 2011, 08:59:43 pm »
Mummy bags are a work of Stan, but save a lot of weight and rectangular down bags are pretty much unobtanium.

Silk liners are magic, weigh buggerall, pack down to almost nothing and make a real difference thermally, as well as reducing the need for washing.

I'm currently using a cheap synthetic bag, with a silk liner for when it's cold, and I can thoroughly recommend this approach for optimal price:performance.  Pay attention to potential signs of zip naffness with cheap bags, that's usually where they go wrong.

« Reply #18 on: 18 May, 2011, 09:02:09 pm »

I got a 3 season sleeping bag from Trespass at quite a reasonable price. Not sure how much now, my GF works at a Tresspass store so she got discount for me. I used it for 2 nights camping in March(i think it was) and i was lovely and warm in it. Pack size not too bad either. Im 5foot8 and not as skinny as i once was and had enough space in it.
So if you have a Tresspass store near by go for a look in. They do normally have some other bargins in. Although from looking for a store you dont appear to have one near you ???

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #19 on: 18 May, 2011, 09:04:04 pm »
I've just bought one of these Snugpak Travelpak LITE  Sleeping Bag Packs TINY SMALL | eBay UK

And a silk liner to go with it. they are epically tiny and lightweight  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 18 May, 2011, 09:08:35 pm »
Not sure I'd trust something that thin to British weather, but I do tend to get COLD.

« Reply #21 on: 18 May, 2011, 09:13:51 pm »
Not sure I'd trust something that thin to British weather, but I do tend to get COLD.

Yebbut I will probably also be wearing all my clothes  ;D
It claims comfort down to 7C and extreme down to 2C so I am hoping it will be Ok for the Dun Run and the Sem Fed.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #22 on: 18 May, 2011, 09:17:48 pm »
If you buy a sleeping bag with no hood be sure to pack a fleece headband or thermal hat & a buff or similar for neck wear.Keeping your neck & head warm at night is important.

« Reply #23 on: 18 May, 2011, 09:36:23 pm »

I got a 3 season sleeping bag from Trespass at quite a reasonable price. Not sure how much now, my GF works at a Tresspass store so she got discount for me. I used it for 2 nights camping in March(i think it was) and i was lovely and warm in it. Pack size not too bad either. Im 5foot8 and not as skinny as i once was and had enough space in it.
So if you have a Tresspass store near by go for a look in. They do normally have some other bargins in. Although from looking for a store you dont appear to have one near you ???

Ah, but there's one at the Lowry Centre I see. That's handy for him...

« Reply #24 on: 20 May, 2011, 09:14:24 pm »
Blimey. He's built a trailer for taking camping.

It's not far off being possible to sleep in!  Volume of luggage will not be a problem, as long as he can tow the weight!

We'll shop tomorrow. I suspect Kim's silk liner:cheap bag will be the best bet, and he's not keen on the mummy style, as being a bit constrictive. But it doesn't have to pack small!

I think I'll get myself a silk liner while we're at it.