Poll

Which of the high street coffee shop chains is the least shit?

AMT
4 (6.3%)
Café Nero
27 (42.2%)
Caffè Ritazza
5 (7.8%)
Coffee Republic
1 (1.6%)
Costa Coffee
16 (25%)
Pret
8 (12.5%)
Starbucks
3 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: The least shit coffee shop chain  (Read 7496 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
The least shit coffee shop chain
« on: 21 July, 2011, 01:00:33 pm »
Following Adrian's excellent suggestion here, I was wondering what the coffee cognoscenti of the forum would regard as the most agreeable place on the high street to make purchase of the caffeinated beverage of their choice?

I seldom drink espresso from the high street chains as it's usually a particularly unfulfilling experience.  Instead, I tend to go for a soy milk latte (or an organic milk latte if they have it).  I also always try to choose a coffee which has been fairly traded.

What do you go for?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
Re: The least shit coffee shop chain
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2011, 01:02:49 pm »
My memory is actually that Costa is least bad, and a whole lot better than Starbux, which is, as indicated, a zillionty-ten times better than the cardboard tasting milky chicory drink which used tobe sold as coffee in this country.

None of the buggers can mash a decent brew of tea, mind :(
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2011, 01:10:07 pm »
AMT espresso isn't bad.  Fair trade as well, if that makes any difference to you.

Neros is probably best for flavour.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2011, 01:12:14 pm »
I prefer Macdonalds coffee to any of the coffee chains.  It really shouldn't be as good as it is.

« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2011, 01:19:53 pm »
I prefer Costa but that is because the two branches I frequent have well-trained staff. I think that is the most important factor, someone who can make coffee, not just go through the motions.

Oh, and they do a mean flat white.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2011, 01:22:55 pm »
I've had pretty good luck with Café Nero in the past.  One of the relatively few high-street places (chain or otherwise) where I will order an espresso.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2011, 01:24:24 pm »
I'm no aficionado, but I enjoy a Café Nero espresso or americano, and the shops are less shit than some others.

Their coffee is not Fairtrade with a capital eff, but they claim:

"We recognise that for sustainable high quality coffee it is essential that farmers and farmers’ communities be rewarded for maintaining standards, not just of coffee but also of the farm and social conditions in which coffee is grown. We source high quality coffee at premium prices which acts as a major incentive for growers to maintain these standards."
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2011, 01:30:10 pm »
Never used an AMT   but I prefer Costa usually, although as said above, Maccyd's coffee is more than passable and a much more sensible price

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2011, 01:35:56 pm »
I rather like Coffee Beans & Tea Leaf.  The downside is that they're in Singapore :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2011, 01:36:21 pm »
They are all shit

But AMT has a special affection from me for all those times waiting at a railway station

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2011, 01:37:26 pm »
The only one I've been in is Costa (apart from a couple of Starbucks in the USA).

Costa gets my vote because you can get a de-caf cappuccino made with soya milk. My guess is that most places will struggle with that one :-\
Pen Pusher

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #11 on: 21 July, 2011, 01:40:33 pm »
I had an interesting talk with the owner of Dr Coffee's Cafe, which as far as I could see on a brief visit is the only reason for Darlington1. She'd not yet actually finished her PhD, on the economics of the coffee trade. If I remember rightly, though, she was rather sceptical about capitalised Fair Trade, saying the registration requirements can actually get in the way of bringing extra value to the original growers and that middlemen take most of it. Instead, she said, buying any premium grade of bean was a more effective way of getting wealth to the workers.

[1] @doctorcoffee on twitter.
Not especially helpful or mature

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12 on: 21 July, 2011, 02:03:19 pm »
Nero gets my vote, mainly 'cos all the ones I have been into know the right way to make an Americano, whereas every Costa I have been in don't (in one I even had to explain it to the barista as they had no clue).

I won't insult the reader's intelligence by explaining the right way, and why.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #13 on: 21 July, 2011, 02:19:23 pm »
I agree, Nero's the best.

I find Starbucks generally the worst across the board with Costa varying massively dependant on the individual branch / barrista.

Nero's have the best take away cups as well.  Starbucks tend to dissolve into a mass of soggy paper.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #14 on: 21 July, 2011, 02:20:11 pm »
They're all pretty bad. If you're a regular train traveller then Ritazza, but only because you can use a free Bite card to get 20% off and they'll also stamp your loyalty card (buy 5 get one free).
I am nothing and should be everything

gonzo

« Reply #15 on: 21 July, 2011, 02:24:02 pm »
Soho coffee company for me; I know all the staff by name, they always smile when they see me. It's fairtrade too. On the downside, it's organic, but you can't have everything!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #16 on: 21 July, 2011, 03:46:46 pm »
Nero gets my vote, mainly 'cos all the ones I have been into know the right way to make an Americano, whereas every Costa I have been in don't (in one I even had to explain it to the barista as they had no clue).

Americano? Is that actually coffee? ;D
Pen Pusher

« Reply #17 on: 21 July, 2011, 03:51:53 pm »
Apostrophe and then Paul.  Not sure if either exists outside That London.

« Reply #18 on: 21 July, 2011, 04:28:22 pm »
I may have mentioned this before, but I've become very bored with the rather one dimensional experience that is americano (and, most of the time, espresso too as one is basically a diluted version of the other). If anyone knows somewhere that does a decent filter brew please say! I drink it black, so don't care about the milk.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #19 on: 21 July, 2011, 04:39:29 pm »
I may have mentioned this before, but I've become very bored with the rather one dimensional experience that is americano (and, most of the time, espresso too as one is basically a diluted version of the other). If anyone knows somewhere that does a decent filter brew please say! I drink it black, so don't care about the milk.

This is the very reason I chose Pret - their 99p cup of black filter coffee is exactly how coffee is supposed to be. It also means that I give their food for the homeless initiative about 5p a week with my change. Every little helps and all that. They also understand that a dash of cold water in it to make it instantly drinkable is a realistic request.

McDonalds black coffee is damn good too.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #20 on: 21 July, 2011, 04:55:48 pm »
I may have to engineer a visit to Pret to try this, thanks!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #21 on: 21 July, 2011, 05:08:40 pm »
None of the buggers can mash a decent brew of tea, mind :(

This, which is why I try and avoid going anywhere near them cos I don't usually drink coffee..  And resent paying £££ for crap tea.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #22 on: 21 July, 2011, 05:13:30 pm »
How about asking for a pot of boiling water and dip your own bag in?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #23 on: 21 July, 2011, 05:57:37 pm »
I prefer Macdonalds coffee to any of the coffee chains.  It really shouldn't be as good as it is.

+1  (and cheaper than many)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #24 on: 21 July, 2011, 06:05:36 pm »
Aren't Pret and McDonalds the same people?
Not especially helpful or mature