Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 532894 times)

Last Friday, when I realised that I'm not about to be consuming any chewable food in the immediately foreseeable, I gave my neighbour four self-seal boxes of salads that I'd made. Rather than chuck them out.
Is it too soon to ask them W(hen)TF I'm likely to get my clean boxes back?

Last Friday, when I realised that I'm not about to be consuming any chewable food in the immediately foreseeable, I gave my neighbour four self-seal boxes of salads that I'd made. Rather than chuck them out.
Is it too soon to ask them W(hen)TF I'm likely to get my clean boxes back?
They've emptied and cleaned them, and put them in a cupboard. Where the lids went missing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Cousin gave a PowerPoint presentation to International Family Vecht Zoom meeting this evening, about our mutual great-grandfather, Aron Vecht, 1854-1908.
It seems the strictly Orthodox Jewish entrepreneur brought BACON to the Antipodes...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
I made chocolate mousse today. Bloody lovely!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Beardy

• Shedist
I’ve got to have vegan lasagna for dinner this evening, and what’s more I’ve got to be seen enjoying it. Ms Beardy the younger is cooking dinner.

Lasagna isn’t my favourite pasta dish to start with, but I dislike vegan ‘meat’ and I positively hate vegan cheese (it’s too sweet and cloying). Gah!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Biscuit-flavoured tea is A Thing, apparently. I haven't seen it, but then I haven't been looking for it. Also, it's in the Grauniad, so that means they've seen it in either London or Sydney, not necessarily places in general. And in any case, if I had seen it, I wouldn't have bought it, and so might have forgotten about it anyway.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/may/30/biscuits-are-great-tea-is-great-but-do-we-really-need-all-this-biscuit-flavoured-tea
The shops are full of ‘jaffa biscuit teas’ and ‘malty biscuit brews’. Do they live up to the hype? And who wants to live in a world without crumbs? Time to get tasting.

Who would want to drink tea that tastes like biscuits? It is, of course, a classic pairing: personally, I wouldn’t contemplate one without the other. But what is the point of forging them into a single entity? A box of “biscuit tea” that forms part of Aldi’s new range has only this to say: “Nothing better than a brew and a biscuit, so why not taste them together in one cup?” Except for the “not”, this is exactly my question.

If you are intent on adding one taste to another, this seems to be the wrong way round. On opening a box with the words “biscuit” and “tea” on the front, several members of my household were disappointed to find it contained biscuit-flavoured tea, and not tea-flavoured biscuits.

But there is clearly a market for such an innovation. Flavouring drinks with a biscuit-like taste is an emerging trend, and Aldi is, if anything, a bit late climbing aboard the bandwagon. There are even biscuit-flavoured gins that turn up at Christmas. Still, I ask myself: “Why?” In search of an answer, I resolved to test as many examples of the phenomenon as I could find.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
There was a box of it lurking at Schloß von Brandenburg in Hastings when I was cat-sitting there last month.  I did not try it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Some came to visit with my daughter at Easter. She also brought Oat Milk. They left with her.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/lapsang-souchong-twinings-cigarettes-ruined/

This is bad news.  Twinings Lapsang Souchong teabags are my regular brew whilst on camping trips.  I think I've a couple of boxes stashed somewhere. 

I've tried posher, loose leaf blends, but they don't have the same hit. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Arrrrrrrgh! I have just the one box of Twinings LS left in the cupboard.  :'(

Tbh, I've never rated Twinings LS that highly but it's always been widely available and is passable. I might not miss it so much though - I've banned post-lunch caffeine so my afternoon fix these days is usually peppermint tea.

My colleagues used to think I was having a sneaky scotch when I drank LS in the office.  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

I'm not particularly keen on lapsang souchong, but at least they've dropped it "honestly" rather than selling the new blend under the old name.

Arrrrrrrgh! I have just the one box of Twinings LS left in the cupboard.  :'(

Tbh, I've never rated Twinings LS that highly but it's always been widely available and is passable. I might not miss it so much though - I've banned post-lunch caffeine so my afternoon fix these days is usually peppermint tea.

My colleagues used to think I was having a sneaky scotch when I drank LS in the office.  ;D

Whenever I drank LS in the office, I'd be accused of drinking tea from medieval times.

Cudzoziemiec

How a porridge champion makes porridge: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/jun/06/how-to-make-porridge-like-a-champion-toby-wilson-australian-chef-world-porridge-making-championship
It's a bit contradictory that he first talks of learning to appreciate the nuance that comes with using only unrolled oats, salt and water, even criticising tap water as "muting some of the flavour" – and then he serves his porridge with butter and sugar.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Not impressed with him to be honest. The best porridge is made bain marie style whilst sitting outside one's tent.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
“Best porridge” is an oxymoron.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

Research does need to be carried out into whether the direction of stirrage required to dispel evil spirits reverses as one crosses the equator.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
You know how you get those random sudden cravings?  Well today's was spaghetti hoops of all things. 
Well, as it turned out, DiL is a fan and had stashed a tin at the back of the cupboard.

I've probably not eaten spaghetti hoops in 50 years or so, and I probably won't again.
Dear god they were sweet.   :sick:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

You know how you get those random sudden cravings?  Well today's was spaghetti hoops of all things. 
Well, as it turned out, DiL is a fan and had stashed a tin at the back of the cupboard.

I've probably not eaten spaghetti hoops in 50 years or so, and I probably won't again.
Dear god they were sweet.   :sick:
A good candidate for ian's Orange Food thread.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

God yes, it's all flooding back: Until I attained years of indiscretion and left home I had no idea that real spaghetti was long and stiff before being cooked.  I thought it all came in a tin a-gurgle with tomato sauce and destined to turn toast into mush.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I don't think I've ever eaten spaghetti hoops…

Given the extortionate price of Heinz other tinned goods, I might die without this experience...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
When people put things in ovens, why do they "pop" them in?

Can you pop things into any other things? (NSFW ----->)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

Pop it in the popty-ping!

I met with The Aussie yesterday for breakfast at the Cutty Sark Cafe in Greenwich.
(Chef's special - Two poached eggs, spinach, grilled cherry toms on the vine, smoked salmon, sliced avocado & sautéed potatoes  - recommended)
I bought her a bunch of Gerberas, and paid for our breakfast.
She bought me a packet of Tim Tams.
I consider this a fair exchange.

When people put things in ovens, why do they "pop" them in?

Can you pop things into any other things? (NSFW ----->)

Pills?

I would say "pop to the shops" or "popping out for a bit", but for putting things in the oven I'd normally say "stick".
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.