Author Topic: The weather is so bad I may have to use the turbo  (Read 3789 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
The weather is so bad I may have to use the turbo
« on: 23 January, 2013, 05:42:09 pm »
Hi,
The weather is so awful that I might have to use the turbo a bit.  I was going to go to the ctc pub meet tonight, nice 20 mile round trip but even with ice tyres the lanes from here to there are going to be impassible.  So gonna have to do *something* to keep my legs from feeling odd

Hillbilly

Re: The weather is so bad I may have to use the turbo
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2013, 10:20:59 pm »
I've been using it for a couple of weeks to hone my fitness for spring, when my training (of sorts) will go outside for hill reps etc.

I used to find turbo training tedious.  Then I discovered the Sufferfest series of videos.  Fun, but tough, way to rip through an hour or so.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2013, 09:36:57 am »
I used the turbo for the first time in a couple of years this morning.  Before I used the turbo I had to make a working heart rate monitor by getting a chest strap from the broken bike specific hrm and getting it to go with the "run tec" hrm.

The classic mistake I made was wearing too many clothes and not having a fan set up.  It is January and I have the turbo in the garage so I thought it might be cool enough.  But it wasn't of course.  After warming up I did one interval of 20 minutes just to get in the mood.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 05 February, 2013, 01:25:25 pm »
Managed to use the turbo twice this week.  I can fit in 2 x 20 minute intervals before work (i work from home) in the morning.

The fan is deployed and I even remembered a towel to mop off sweat

« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2013, 09:47:33 pm »
well the weather has defeated me also, I am now the proud owner of a minoura B60 R and it came with a new shimano rs 10 rear wheel, via ebay
  gave it a spin this evening all appears ok

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 05 February, 2013, 09:56:37 pm »
This year so far, I've "enjoyed" 18 days on the rollers, and only 15 out on the road.  ::-) After two tumbles last winter, I'm not risking more on icy roads this year.  :hand:
But at least I can now ride the rollers without having to stick my tongue out the corner of my mouth.  :P  Can't do it no-handed yet though.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #6 on: 05 February, 2013, 10:23:11 pm »
This year so far, I've "enjoyed" 18 days on the rollers, and only 15 out on the road.  ::-)

Is that since 1 January 2013? You are allowed a day off now and then you know.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2013, 10:12:42 am »
This year so far, I've "enjoyed" 18 days on the rollers, and only 15 out on the road.  ::-)

Is that since 1 January 2013? You are allowed a day off now and then you know.
? Wha?

« Reply #8 on: 06 February, 2013, 10:40:32 am »
Yesterday was hectic - had stupidly decided no need for the ice tyres now the weather had changed. Was fine when I set off - just light covering of snow. Rode through a blizzard and sleet that felt like it was cutting my face it was so windy. Wet through by the time I arrived at work. Only lost the back end once, but really felt like I was chancing it a couple of times. Got a bollocking off a runner for not being sufficiently high viz for the weather, despite twin magicshine and Ixon up front and superflash and fibre flare on the rear.

Hoping that was the last of it.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #9 on: 06 February, 2013, 10:55:30 am »
Where exactly is all this foul weather? We've got lovely robin-egg blue skies down here in Brighton with high hazy white cloud. Nasty cold wind mind you!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 06 February, 2013, 11:08:39 am »
Where exactly is all this foul weather? We've got lovely robin-egg blue skies down here in Brighton with high hazy white cloud. Nasty cold wind mind you!

It was snowing in the morning in Devon yesterday
Not too bad today.  Fingers crossed that the wind will drop slightly and I will be able to do the CTC pub meet up on Woodbury Common

« Reply #11 on: 06 February, 2013, 10:05:04 pm »
well here in the Brecon Beacon's it's been blowing a gale for the last 36 hours but today the sky was bright blue & the sun (I think) shone, of course the drier weather has all happened since the turbo trainer turned up:)

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 07 February, 2013, 10:49:41 am »
2013 has been 8 rides on the road and 9 turbo sessions so far.

I'm trying to get back to fitness and turbo-training offers more than just somewhere to spin pedals when it's icy outside.

It's difficult, especially on dark lanes, to control your training out on the road.  It's also easy to kid yourself into thinking you're riding hard when, in fact, you are taking it easy down hills.

A turbo trainer, apart from being as boring as hell, offers the chance to do, for example, 3 x 20 minute intervals at a precise heart-rate.

I have 2 Sufferfest videos that I play on a Laptop (I may get some more, they are very good at convincing my brain that I'm actually competing with real cyclists).  I have a fan aimed across the Laptop, to deflect my jet of breath from the screen and keyboard.

Ideally I'd like a PowerTap hub, so I could see genuine improvement, and maintain a power-output rather than just a heart-rate.

An hour in a freezing garage certainly doesn't replace a nice sunny Sunday ride to a Pub though (but it's no worse than a ride in the dark, cold and rain...and having to fix a puncture).

« Reply #13 on: 07 February, 2013, 09:04:57 pm »
Was thinking of getting a turbo, but then you have the attendant problems of wearing out tyres (or faffing about changing wheels). Plus a wet bike dripping everywhere if it's been raining lately.

So I was thinking of an exercise bike, would something like this be up to the job? I know it may not replicate my exact bike position but as I'm intending more intervals than long steady rides this should be less of a problem no? It's hard to tell from the picture but I think that saddle clamp will take a normal saddle if the fitted one sucks.

Anyone have any particular advice for me? Cheers.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

LEE

« Reply #14 on: 08 February, 2013, 02:55:17 pm »
Was thinking of getting a turbo, but then you have the attendant problems of wearing out tyres (or faffing about changing wheels). Plus a wet bike dripping everywhere if it's been raining lately.

So I was thinking of an exercise bike, would something like this be up to the job? I know it may not replicate my exact bike position but as I'm intending more intervals than long steady rides this should be less of a problem no? It's hard to tell from the picture but I think that saddle clamp will take a normal saddle if the fitted one sucks.

Anyone have any particular advice for me? Cheers.

It's a SPIN bike and personally I think they do a great job.  That's a fantastic price if it does a half decent job, they can cost upwards of £700. (Can't comment on the Argos one).

The heavy flywheel gives a more realistic effect than a regular bike on a turbo trainer (and it's the same price as a fairly basic turbo-trainer). Of course a turbo trainer allows you to set up your own bike perfectly, under controlled conditions, as well as just exercise.

It's not as adjustable as some I've seen but it's only £149.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: 08 February, 2013, 03:06:35 pm »
This week I turbo'd for an hour Monday/Tuesday, rode 70km to the pub and back Weds night, Thurs did a short loop at lunchtime + 30km round trip to Tiverton in the evening.  Today I just rode the 5km to the station and I'll ride back tonight.

Our turbo cost about 70 quid, it's magnetic and fairly rubbish.  It's at least 3 years old now and is making an odd grinding noise

« Reply #16 on: 08 February, 2013, 03:51:19 pm »
Sleet this morning going over Tan Hill. However, so much salt on the road, my tyres look sugar frosted.

« Reply #17 on: 08 February, 2013, 04:07:08 pm »
I must be perverse in that I like using the Turbo. It hurts me more than riding on a road does, so must be doing more 'good'.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #18 on: 08 February, 2013, 04:40:05 pm »
I must be perverse in that I like using the Turbo. It hurts me more than riding on a road does, so must be doing more 'good'.

I like the hurty feeling afterwards, that's the good bit.  But it is so unbelievably tedious!

« Reply #19 on: 08 February, 2013, 06:57:15 pm »
I own a spinning bike which in my opinion is better than a turbo,but I hate it with a passion.To me cycling is all about freedom and enjoying the countryside.Turbos might help maintain fitness and even improve performance,but they corrode the soul.

« Reply #20 on: 09 February, 2013, 12:00:13 am »
Yeah, looking at that particular spin bike over another one Argos have as the flywheel weights are 13kg and 4.5kg respectively, I'd imagine more is better?  :thumbsup:

A shame though as only home delivery for the heavier one rather than store collect but sounds like a good choice, now wait for the price to go up before payday  :facepalm: ;D
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #21 on: 10 February, 2013, 10:03:43 pm »
Weather was again so rubbish that I was back on the turbo

Watching a "Blade Runner" on the laptop to avoid total mental collapse.  Got as far as the bit when Leon says "Wake up and die!"

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #22 on: 10 February, 2013, 10:26:28 pm »
The weather is so bad I go to spin classes! The instructor is invariably late which means I get an extra 15 minutes of so listening to tunes whilst pushing a gear, so that I'm dripping with sweat  before we start...

« Reply #23 on: 11 February, 2013, 10:02:17 pm »
I've been on the turbo more than I've been on the road so far this year, not impressed:(

essexian

« Reply #24 on: 12 February, 2013, 01:09:54 pm »
Brought a turbo for myself at Christmas.... used it for the first time today and blimey, its boring and not very comfortable! However, managed to get my heart working and it made my legs feel like they had done some work, so all good.

Only 17 minutes but its a start..... blimey, what with some swimming recently and use of our running machine, I might be trying to get fit again.