Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 959907 times)

LindaG

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2200 on: 25 February, 2012, 06:03:35 am »
The Core.  Dodgy goodness.

Rapples

« Reply #2201 on: 25 February, 2012, 06:50:08 am »
I struggled through the first 45 minutes of Bruno before deciding that Sacha Baron Cohen isn't actually funny.  The gay sex scene with his midget partner was vaguely amusing.
You lasted about 30 minutes longed than me, but then again I'd already formed that opinion

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2202 on: 25 February, 2012, 09:28:50 pm »
Scary Movie 3.  They only send up four or five films (the main ones being The Ring and Signs, with a fair dose of The Matrix trilogy) and the visual gags are a bit slow coming compared to the first film, but I thought it was better than Scary Movie 2.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2203 on: 25 February, 2012, 09:56:03 pm »
Scary Movie 3.  They only send up four or five films (the main ones being The Ring and Signs, with a fair dose of The Matrix trilogy) and the visual gags are a bit slow coming compared to the first film, but I thought it was better than Scary Movie 2.

You watched that.   :D ;)  I saw the last 2mins.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2204 on: 25 February, 2012, 09:59:58 pm »
I loved the first film.  A colleague from work and I saw it at the cinema towards the end of its run, having bunked off early to get cheap tickets.  We were (literally) the only people in the auditorium and we laughed like drains.  It isn't as funny a second time, because you know what's coming.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2205 on: 26 February, 2012, 12:33:38 pm »
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Learn from my mistake.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

LindaG

« Reply #2206 on: 26 February, 2012, 02:03:27 pm »
Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close.

I can't decide whether this film is emotionally manipulative, on a Death Of Little Nell scale; or merely brilliant in its portrayal of the human response to loss.

I couldn't read the book.  The first chapter, in which a little boy listens to the answer phone messages his dad leaves from one of the Towers on 9/11, was so sad that I wouldn't read any more.

There were points in this film where I nearly left, to wait for crusty in the car.  Again, it was too much, and too sad, but my mascara was all over my face so I decided to stay put till my face went back to normal.  I'm glad I did.  I wasn't the only one, there were definitely snivelling sounds coming from the whole auditorium at various points.

(click to show/hide)

This goes in the same category as 'The Kite Runner' - brilliant films I'm glad I've seen, but won't watch again, because they're too emotional.  Recommended, but not for a first date.  I do think that aspects of this story have probably been mawkished for Hollywood, and I'm not completely at ease with anything that turns that awful day into entertainment.  However, fiction can bring history to life sometimes and I think this film probably does that, and it's all right this time.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2207 on: 26 February, 2012, 02:12:56 pm »
Fright Night, in 3D. Good old fashioned hokum with added Dr Who, and blood splatting out from the screen.
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2208 on: 26 February, 2012, 03:44:45 pm »
Bobb and I just went to see The Woman in Black. I was suitably creeped out all the way through and watched most of it through my fingers. He said it was the slowest moving film he's ever seen.

There was a very random collection of accents in the village.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2209 on: 26 February, 2012, 05:51:30 pm »
My parents got bought The Godfather collection for Xmas so the 3 of us sat down to watch The Godfather Part 1 last night.

I thought it was bloody good. Loved that:

a) there is this huge Italian family having lots of fun at a wedding, and the Dad is giving out favours and using certain people to bump off other people.
b) when the 6 heads of the 6 families are meeting and one of them stands up and says 'Gambling not a problem, but I draws the line at drugs, keep them off our streets, for the sake of the children'.

Going to watch The Godfather Part 2 this evening. Looking forward to it  :thumbsup:

LindaG

« Reply #2210 on: 26 February, 2012, 05:59:26 pm »
Lucky you, getting to see that perfect film for the very first time. Looking forward to your verdict :-)

« Reply #2211 on: 26 February, 2012, 07:24:56 pm »
Nothing like watching the Godfather for the 1st time, awesome isn't it? :)

Frere

Edit: GF II is just as good if not better than GF I. GF III is ok but a disappointment compared to GF I & II.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2212 on: 27 February, 2012, 07:15:13 am »

What?  Great film  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2213 on: 27 February, 2012, 08:43:00 am »

(click to show/hide)
but then what do I know?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2214 on: 28 February, 2012, 09:36:00 am »
We got round to watching The Godfather Part II last night.

We all thought it was better than the first film (Dad gave the Godfather I 4/10, he was finding it very hard to catch what people were saying and he can't stand Marlon Brando) and we loved the fact that it went back to Don Vito's early life and his interactions with Fancini, The Black Hand. What is so devastating is seeing Al Pacino change from this fresh-faced lad in uniform into The Godfather himself.

I still think the ever faithful Robert Duvall's character is going to turn on them but we will wait and see when we watch Part III

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2215 on: 28 February, 2012, 11:42:03 am »
The Outlaw Josy Wales.  Clint does what Clint does best i.e. keep schtum and shoot a metric fuckton of baddies.  This allows Chief Dan George to get all the best lines and steal the film as a result.

Sad to not that Bruce Surtees, who was cinematographer / director of photography on many of Eastwood's 70s and 80 films, died last week
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuzzy

« Reply #2216 on: 28 February, 2012, 01:33:52 pm »
Kill Bill II (again)

:thumbsup:

That is all.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2217 on: 28 February, 2012, 02:35:32 pm »
Kill Bill II (again)

:thumbsup:

That is all.

Somewhat OT: I saw Kill Bill at the cinema with Suzy, and we both enjoyed it.

When KB II came out, Suzy went to the cinema with a friend to see it, without even telling me beforehand.

I absolutely believe her when she tells me (which she has to do as often as it is repeated on tv) that she just didn't see anything wrong with this, but I still think that (had we ever got married) this alone would constitute grounds for divorce.

(Back on topic) Uma Thurman: laminated list.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2218 on: 28 February, 2012, 05:34:39 pm »
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Couldn't make head nor tail of it.

Give me Toy Story any day.

LindaG

« Reply #2219 on: 28 February, 2012, 10:45:47 pm »

(click to show/hide)
but then what do I know?

We went to see this tonight, I thought it was OK in an On Golden Pond (old people on a lake, whingeing*) way.  It's not Godfather II mind.  Tom Wilkinson and Bill Nighy are always a treat, in anything whatsoever.

And now I want to go to India  ::-)

*copyright Dinnerladies

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2220 on: 29 February, 2012, 03:59:56 pm »
The Outlaw Josy Wales.  Clint does what Clint does best i.e. keep schtum and shoot a metric fuckton of baddies.  This allows Chief Dan George to get all the best lines and steal the film as a result.

Sad to not that Bruce Surtees, who was cinematographer / director of photography on many of Eastwood's 70s and 80 films, died last week

One of my favourites films, watched it yet again almost a month ago.  I feel sorry for one of the guys he shoots early on (Lige* and Abe).  Lige keeps calling it right (especially “Shoot him now Abe”) pointing out that Wales has probably got at least another pistol hidden away. Abe doesn’t listen and they both get shot (Abe has also got into Lige’s line of fire too)

Great authentic period pistols too. I saw a fair few Civil War era firearms (originals and replicas) when I was over in Gettysburg last year, stupid UK gun laws!

The life of the guy who wrote the book the film is based on makes for bizarre and scary reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asa_Earl_Carter

« Reply #2221 on: 29 February, 2012, 04:16:49 pm »
What an appalling man! 

LindaG

« Reply #2222 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:57:17 pm »
'Shame'.

Meh.

A point that's been made before, and made better.

« Reply #2223 on: 02 March, 2012, 11:20:20 pm »
Moon (by same director as Source Code), with Kevin Spacey as the voice of the robot.  Good film.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2224 on: 02 March, 2012, 11:25:14 pm »
Red Dog. Over-sold in the ads - very mediocre, I thought.