Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 964531 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3825 on: 01 January, 2014, 01:33:21 pm »
'The Right Stuff' on Blu-Ray, on the projector, and through the hi-fi. I showed it to friends who'd never heard of it. I was a bit worried about filling the evening with a 30 year old film about test pilots and astronauts which is 3 hours 12 minutes long. It looks great on Blu Ray, and we all enjoyed it.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3826 on: 01 January, 2014, 02:29:14 pm »
Despicable Me 2

I LOL'd, but I prefer the original.

LEE

« Reply #3827 on: 01 January, 2014, 06:16:41 pm »
Aliens

BluRay, Big TV, big sound system.

Still a 10/10 film after all these years (although BluRay tends to show up some of the back-projection).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3828 on: 01 January, 2014, 06:27:48 pm »
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.  Some splendid aerial sequences let down by poor studio work.  But jolly fun, nonetheless.

Currently most of the way through Cabaret.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3829 on: 01 January, 2014, 08:23:29 pm »
WarGames 2: The Dead Code

Silly straight-to-DVD sequel to the Matthew Broderick classic.  I say 'sequel', it's practically a remake.  Unfortunately, it's a plot that hasn't aged well, and it comes off as a kind of low-budget version of Die Hard 4.0 without Bruce Willis or any of the action sequences.

Worth it for the homages to the original, including a cameo by WOPR (complete with 5.25" floppy disks).

Sharknado

Enough said!  Best film of 2014 so far.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3830 on: 01 January, 2014, 10:27:32 pm »
West Side Story.

I think I have something in my eye....

Actually, every time I watch that film (and that's a lot of times), I see something else bold and radical about the lighting design.  Really wonderful.
Getting there...

hillbilly

« Reply #3831 on: 01 January, 2014, 10:38:35 pm »
The Fifth Element.

To my surprise, I realised I'd never watched this.  A feast for the eyes, with set and costume design that is amongst the best I've seen and steals the film from the "talent".  Bruce Willis does his usual turn as a Ross Kemp wannabe, Gary Oldman has fun playing an iconic malevolent and Mila Jovavich plays to her limited strengths as an actor. 

Someone described this to me as what Star Wars would be like if it was made in France.  I can see where they are coming from.  Definitely one of the better sci-fi films of the late 20th century.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3832 on: 02 January, 2014, 04:09:47 am »
The Wolf of Wall Street

Scorsese on form. Di Caprio is just amazing and it is a funny, shocking film based on a true story amazingly.

The cerebral palsy scene had me in tears of laughter - that'll make sense if you see the movie!

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

fuzzy

« Reply #3833 on: 02 January, 2014, 08:54:21 am »
Zero Dark 30. In my opinion a great film. tense and thought provoking, event though the outcome was a given.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3834 on: 02 January, 2014, 11:12:37 am »
On Hogmanay we watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, which was good but too long and then we watched Angel-A which was a French nod to It's A Wonderful Life (at least it borrowed bits) but was quite amusing. End dragged on too long, though that might have been partially due to the time racing towards 2am.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3835 on: 02 January, 2014, 09:33:23 pm »
Slade in Flame.  A harsh look at the rough and cynical side of the pop music industry.  It didn't do their career much good at the time, but, in retrospect, one of the best rock movies.

Now watching The Italian Job (the proper one, it barely needs saying).
Getting there...

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #3836 on: 02 January, 2014, 11:08:12 pm »
Scott of the Antarctic
Wonderful period piece, great music, and what a story.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3837 on: 03 January, 2014, 12:36:49 am »
A good day to make a crap film.

I think that was the working title, and they then switched one of the CGI actors for Bruce Willis and called it Die Hard.

TBH the CGI computer game sequences included as extras were the best part of the Bluray, and they were utterly appalling.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jakob

« Reply #3838 on: 03 January, 2014, 01:54:09 am »

I think that was the working title, and they then switched one of the CGI actors for Bruce Willis and called it Die Hard.

TBH the CGI computer game sequences included as extras were the best part of the Bluray, and they were utterly appalling.

Hah, I saw that too yesterday. (On Netflix). Amazingly bad hammy acting....even for Bruce Willis' standards. Helicopter crash at the end was cool, though.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3839 on: 03 January, 2014, 09:48:23 am »
Iron Man 3, again.

Still as good.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3840 on: 03 January, 2014, 01:47:26 pm »
Anchorman 2. Completely potty! As weird a collection of bizarre sketches as I think I've ever seen (plot? No chance!), and some truly cringeworthy moments, but I actually quite enjoyed it. I'm still at a loss to say why.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3841 on: 03 January, 2014, 02:00:55 pm »
German documentary about the bombing of Dresden. Excellent.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #3842 on: 03 January, 2014, 06:50:31 pm »

As a big Die Hard fan (I am indeed the man of class and culture), I was so looking forward to this. Really, guys, you have the damn multi-million-dollar spurting franchise fountain that is Die Hard. You've got Bruce Willis signed up. And this is what you did with it? It's not like ingredients of a Die Hard script are that sophisticated, but hey, why bother, just take some generic half-rate actioner that had evidently been sitting on the slush pile since the late 80s (seriously, Chernobyl?) and pad it with some special effects and frenetic running around and chases. They could have done the entire thing in cheap CGI. Perhaps they did.

I dunno how Hollywood works, but really, seeing the script written in crayon and the words DiE HaRd scrawled over the crossed-out original title should have been a give-away.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3843 on: 04 January, 2014, 06:51:20 pm »
Octopussy - nowhere near as bad as I remembered it.  The special effects are actually very good even by modern standards, and embarrass some of the crappy CGI in the Brosnan era.  Roger Moore is frankly far too old and portly by this point but he's still the Bond with the most charm.   Oh, and the sexist innuendo in this one is unmatched.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

spindrift

« Reply #3844 on: 05 January, 2014, 11:57:27 am »

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3845 on: 05 January, 2014, 05:20:56 pm »
Turbo, which was playing at the Reel Kids Club so me, both Cubs, my-mate-ang and her Eldest all got in for £6.75!

A snail dreams of race cars, accidentally gets super-charged, is found by a Taco salesman and takes on the Indie 500.  We thoroughly enjoyed it :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3846 on: 06 January, 2014, 12:43:41 pm »
Catch Me If You Can

Seen it before, twice, but it was on telly yesterday evening and I had nothing better to do... I'm not sure what exactly it is about this film that I like so much, but I do. Maybe it's just the Spielberg factor - he knows how to tell a story and make his characters sympathetic. It's slick, polished and perfectly paced. DiCaprio and Hanks are both great too.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Ruth

« Reply #3847 on: 07 January, 2014, 10:24:30 pm »
The first bit of 'Worlds End'.  A friend came for tea and brought the DVD round to watch, but I was so bored I asked him to make it stop.  He made it stop.

Thank goodness.  Is it supposed to be funny?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3848 on: 07 January, 2014, 10:28:15 pm »
The first bit of 'Worlds End'.  A friend came for tea and brought the DVD round to watch, but I was so bored I asked him to make it stop.  He made it stop.

I saw it the other day too, and thought the same thing. It gets better, although it's still the weakest of the Cornetto Trilogy IMO.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3849 on: 08 January, 2014, 10:44:15 am »

Yes and no. I think the first part isn't actually supposed to be all that funny. In fact, it's a bit sad, the way Gary is clinging to the past while all his friends have moved on. I must admit, I wasn't convinced at first, and after about half an hour of it was starting to wonder how it fitted into the trilogy, apparently being nothing at all like Shaun Of The Dead or Hot Fuzz...

But when it kicks off, it really kicks off. I won't say any more than that, but I would say it is worth giving it another chance. I really enjoyed it. I would even go so far as to say I preferred it to Shaun Of The Dead, though Hot Fuzz is still my favourite of the trilogy.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."