Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 960103 times)

ian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4500 on: 13 November, 2014, 10:28:12 pm »
Interstellar at the Imax. I was a bit dubious. You know how I get about Prometheus (just don't, OK), and I'll commit a heresy by staying that 2001 was pretty much a few iconic scenes struggling to stay afloat on a Sargasso sea of garbled crap. I think it's supposed to be meditative. Oh, get on with it or at least give me the drugs. Who you want to see, a monkey with a bone making out like he's a heavy metal drummer getting his first solo, or McConaughey hammering happily away on his space bongos? So, yeah, 3 hours of rehashed 2001-lite was a little daunting, like the first visit to the porcelain throne after an evening overdoing the vindaloo.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #4501 on: 13 November, 2014, 11:26:56 pm »
We went to Interstellar last night too.

My disbelief came plummeting back.
I did like lots of it, but it just got silly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4502 on: 14 November, 2014, 12:27:16 am »
Gone Girl.

I thought I was going to see Bond Girl, but instead was hit full on with an 18 Certificate. There were plot holes that could not be adequately filled by a wine bottle, despite what you might have read.

Having said that, this was a rare film - I didn't at any time wonder if it was nearly time to go home. Towards the end I imagined all sorts of endings, but none of them came true.

It was marvellous to see an heroine gain 2 stones in weight and then lose them again all in the space of 6 weeks.
It is simpler than it looks.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4503 on: 14 November, 2014, 07:04:05 am »
Guardians of the Galaxy.

Wonderful, daft, funny Marvel film. What is not tonlike about a film that has:
A talking raccoon.
An Ent. This role really stretched Vin Diesel's acting ability.
Glenn Close?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #4504 on: 17 November, 2014, 01:45:31 pm »
Zombieland.

Rule No. 2- Double Tap.

"Goddamn it, Bill fucking Murray! I had to get that out. I don't mean to gush. This is so surreal. I mean, you probably get this all the time. Maybe not lately, but I'm such a huge fan of yours. You know, I swear, I've seen every one of your movies a million times. I even loved your dramatic roles and just everything. Six people left in the world and one of them is Bill fucking Murray. I know that's not your middle name. I've been watching you since I was like... Since I could masturbate. I mean, not that they're connected. "

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #4505 on: 17 November, 2014, 05:40:39 pm »
The Imitation Game.

Definitely Not a documentary.  Everyone's jolly splendid, and nearly everyone has a stiff upper lip.

Actually I quite enjoyed it, despite the liberties taken.  Crypto-history buffs should note that they'll wince, probably more than once, but hey, it's a movie...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Andrew

« Reply #4506 on: 18 November, 2014, 09:12:26 am »
Northern Soul.

Bloody awful. Script by a 12 year old, and that's disrespectful to 12 year olds. Wanted to be Quadrophenia, and failed failed failed. Not even the music could save it.

« Reply #4507 on: 18 November, 2014, 09:22:55 am »
The Machine

I'd not heard of this. Much better than expected - decent depiction of a dystopia
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuzzy

« Reply #4508 on: 18 November, 2014, 09:28:05 am »
Attack the block  ;D :thumbsup:

What's Ron's weed room?
It's a big room! Full of weed. And it's Ron's.

It smells like a shit did a shit.

No idea. Not a bloody clue. Maybe there was a party at the zoo, and a monkey fucked a fish.

Even if it is an alien invasion, they're four foot high, blind and got kicked to death by a bunch of kids. We got nothing to worry about.

Well, 'ere, lads, you've discovered a species hitherto unknown to science, quite possibly non-terrestrial in origin, and you kicked its fuckin' head in!

This is too much madness to explain in one text!

What kind of alien, out of all the places in the whole wide world, would invade some shitty council estate in south London?
One that's lookin' for a fight!

Believe me, I'd go out there myself if I wasn't so profoundly stoned.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4509 on: 18 November, 2014, 09:34:38 am »

What's Ron's weed room?

Is this some sort of homage to the Camberwell Carrot?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrew

« Reply #4510 on: 19 November, 2014, 07:09:30 pm »
Magic In The Moonlight

Yes, it's the annual Woody Allen movie. Yes, it is definitely a Woody Allen film. There is only one voice. There are favourite/worn tried and trusted themes. There is 'why' and neuroses. There is a trad jazz soundtrack.

And it is, for all that, a damned good film. He's become a throwback. A reminder of how simply films were made. No CGI only blue screen back projection. He's a story teller. He's a modern day Oscar Wilde. And, in this film, he's on form.

fuzzy

« Reply #4511 on: 20 November, 2014, 08:37:32 am »

What's Ron's weed room?

Is this some sort of homage to the Camberwell Carrot?

Well, there was more than the average recreational use of 'erb portrayed, though having said that, after a bit, the 'heroes' of the filum were using said 'erb more to calm than to relax ;)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4512 on: 20 November, 2014, 09:08:22 am »
X-Men - Days of Future Past

Not as good as the others, but still good. 
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4513 on: 20 November, 2014, 12:39:26 pm »
A Boy Called Dad

&

Gold

Two films, one Welsh and one Irish, with slightly different takes on fatherhood and broken families. Each quite good in their own way.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #4514 on: 20 November, 2014, 12:42:42 pm »
The Spanish Chainsaw Massacre

Oh dear, why did I watch this? Thankfully it was quite short. I suppose not much should be expected from a film with a title like that, €3,000 budget and not a single review on IMDB. Even the subtitles were by someone with less of a grasp of English than I have of Spanish.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4515 on: 21 November, 2014, 02:13:05 pm »
A Most Wanted Man
Hmmm. Hoffman fans will love it - he's brill.

And so are a few other people in it. But the story just doesn't cut it. I haven't read the book, but I've read some other recent LeCarre, and they're not in the same league as Tinker etc.

Still, very well made, a diverting couple of hours. Special mention for the wonderful Ritz cinema in Belper!

<cycling content. sort of>
Also: it was nice to see a major character getting about by bike, without being a figure of fun, or coming to a grisly end; but I'm not sure we needed _quite_ so many lingering shots of her be-denimmed arse. Odd, as the film lacked the usual gratuitous female nudity that is normally shoe-horned into mainstream movies.
</cycling content>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

spindrift

« Reply #4516 on: 21 November, 2014, 04:02:04 pm »
Judd Apatow has a thing about cyclists, the 40 Year Old Virgin rides one, falls off, and that bloke off This is 40 rides one, falls off. Paul something.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4517 on: 22 November, 2014, 12:13:03 am »
Gravity

Phwoar! That was great. Loved it. Except the music, which is shit, but I was totally gripped anyway. Only wish I'd got around to seeing it on the big screen - though not in 3D. Can't seriously believe it would have been any better in 3D.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4518 on: 22 November, 2014, 09:22:27 am »
Gettysburg. Prosy, cardboard & slow at times - I get the impression that some of the speeches are taken from the characters' writings - but the action is great and the sound is fantastic.  Could do with more maps. All in all, though, a tremendous film.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jakob

« Reply #4519 on: 22 November, 2014, 10:21:04 am »
Interstellar. Very good. Different from what I expected and ADR was not as big an issue as reported. Also saw it on glorious Imax/70mm.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4520 on: 22 November, 2014, 10:39:34 am »
Gettysburg. Prosy, cardboard & slow at times - I get the impression that some of the speeches are taken from the characters' writings - but the action is great and the sound is fantastic.  Could do with more maps. All in all, though, a tremendous film.

Everything needs more maps :)  I wasn't the only test-reader to point this out regarding Dr Larrington's next book.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4521 on: 22 November, 2014, 11:34:27 am »
Things you will never hear in a Hollywood production meeting.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4522 on: 22 November, 2014, 11:45:35 am »
Travelling By Map is a tried and trusted Hollywood staple though.  Imagine the Indiana Jones films, for example, if there were long sequences of Harrison Ford hanging around grubby aerodromes tutting and looking at his watch.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4523 on: 22 November, 2014, 12:02:54 pm »
Oh I know. Perhaps a slight tweek then:

Things you will never hear in a 2014 Hollywood production meeting.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4524 on: 22 November, 2014, 12:13:25 pm »
I saw Gravity twice in the cinema.  The first time out it was a huge visual spectacle, the second time it was actually quite a small film for me and the human parts of it were more to the fore.  In scope I mean, that’s not a criticism of the film.  The scale moves down on second viewing from this awesome big thing down to a much more compact human story (that was my experience YMMV of course).

This is one of the reasons I can't imagine it would be improved by 3D. I like the spectacularly dramatic scenes, and they must look great on the big screen, but what I liked most about it was that it actually had a proper story. The stuff about her daughter was the only bit that grated - Bullock and Clooney were both excellent, very 'human', very convincing, which for me negated the dramatic need for any of that sentimental gubbins. Because of the strength of their performances, I felt the motivation of wanting to survive would have been enough to carry the plot by itself.

I'd like to see Interstellar as well, though it does sound a bit silly.

Best space film of recent years is still Moon. By a large margin. Again, it's the humanity that carries it.

We're thinking of going to see The Imitation Game tonight. It looks dreadful but as long as I can remind myself that it's just a bit of entertainment, not a documentary, it might be fun.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."