Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 963848 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5250 on: 16 July, 2015, 05:20:49 pm »
I bloody well hope the concrete pour went OK.

That will be in the sequel?
Move Faster and Bake Things

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5251 on: 16 July, 2015, 06:29:43 pm »
Locke

Tom Hardy driving in his car, on the phone, trying to deal with some life/work problems.

I kid you not, that's the film.  1 actor, in a car, with a phone, making sure some concrete gets poured correctly.

And yet, apart from a bit of a flat ending, I found it rather gripping.

I bloody well hope the concrete pour went OK.
I've heard (almost) nothing about this film. tomHardy is amazing,so I thought I'd do some research ...

Which led me to the quite extaordinary "Gaffs" section of the film's IMDB page. I find movie pedants a hilariously tedious bunch, but this "gaff" is so astonishing that I fear I shall remember it for some time:

They mention the "large" delivery of 355 metric tonnes of concrete with 218 trucks. Apart from the fact that wet concrete is usually referred to in volume, not weight, the calculation of trucks needed for this weight is wrong. The mixing trucks on average hold 18 tons of concrete each, meaning that they only need 20 trucks.
63 of 65 found this interesting

I think there is a grave factual error in that last sentence.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andrew

« Reply #5252 on: 18 July, 2015, 08:43:11 am »
Nightcrawler

A very effective, tense thriller-esque/noire-ish film about a sociopathic/deranged Los Angeles freelance cameraman brilliantly played by Jack Gylenhall. Well worth watching for him alone.

Raises fairly worn questions about voyeuristic press, modern society and morality but does it stylishly. The movie looks good and plays a little with the 'film within a film' idea without disappearing up it's own arse.

Notable also for the Rapha wearing cyclist whose bike Gylenhall nicks to fund his start in the business!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5253 on: 18 July, 2015, 11:11:47 pm »
Jupiter Ascending

Overwhelmingly silly, visually and musically stunning, and mostly incoherent beyond a rock-solid basis in Mary Sue (space opera edition).  It's like David Lynch's Dune meets Flash Gordon on steroids.

It's rubbish, but I actually quite liked it, in a guilty nerdish kind of way.  It's exactly the right kind of camp.   :-[

fuzzy

« Reply #5254 on: 19 July, 2015, 12:04:13 am »
Pale Rider.

Damn but Clint did some fine westerns.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5255 on: 19 July, 2015, 01:25:42 am »
The Terminator.

A brilliant love story.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5256 on: 19 July, 2015, 08:56:54 am »
Jupiter Ascending

Overwhelmingly silly, visually and musically stunning, and mostly incoherent beyond a rock-solid basis in Mary Sue (space opera edition).  It's like David Lynch's Dune meets Flash Gordon on steroids.

It's rubbish, but I actually quite liked it, in a guilty nerdish kind of way.  It's exactly the right kind of camp.   :-[

"Bees don't lie"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5257 on: 19 July, 2015, 09:49:32 am »

« Reply #5258 on: 19 July, 2015, 10:41:07 am »
Pretty Woman

Haven't seen it for twenty years or so. I hadn't noticed before all the little touches like the Opera they go see being La Traviata.
The whole film is basically La Traviara with Richard Gere's lawyer sidekick replacing Alfredos's father Giorgio Germont.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #5259 on: 20 July, 2015, 12:22:14 pm »
The Sitter (watched for all of 30 seconds)

Description was 'adult humour'. Well, if you consider being twelve an adult, then I guess that'll cover it. Deleted the film straight away.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Andrew

« Reply #5260 on: 20 July, 2015, 12:54:28 pm »
You know,  I'm half minded to watch Pretty Women again. Just to see if I loathe it as much as I did the first time! I may have mellowed.

On 2nd thoughts though, no. Too many films to watch that I haven't seen.

Andrew

« Reply #5261 on: 20 July, 2015, 01:52:38 pm »
Forgot to mention, I watched Pride last week. I was disappointed. Amusing in patches but not the film I'd anticipated. I'm not really a fan of those cutesy, British type films even when they're fictional. Base them on fact and I'm less impressed. File under 'Billy Elliot' et al.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #5262 on: 20 July, 2015, 03:34:53 pm »
Pale Rider.

Damn but Clint did some fine westerns.

It's a remake of Shane but not bad for it, other than the apparently inevitable sexual assault that Eastwood can't seem to make a western without including.

I like Clint Eastwood movies but that seems to happen in most of his films, even Bronco Billy where it seemed most gratuitous.

fuzzy

« Reply #5263 on: 20 July, 2015, 04:24:50 pm »
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Amusing.

ian

« Reply #5264 on: 22 July, 2015, 10:46:16 am »
Ant-Man.

Really rather good, considering the Marvel world ought to have us all fatigued now.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #5265 on: 22 July, 2015, 11:06:01 am »
Hangover 2

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5266 on: 22 July, 2015, 04:48:44 pm »
Ant-Man.

Really rather good, considering the Marvel world ought to have us all fatigued now.

As far as I'm concerned that happened in 1978, fifteen minutes after Christopher Reeve made his debut as Superman.

Yes, I do know Superman is DC, not AC Marvel.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5267 on: 23 July, 2015, 07:31:39 am »
Didn't watch it last night, but a while back. What does the panel think of A Field in England?  And would they watch it again?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #5268 on: 23 July, 2015, 08:53:10 am »
Haven't heard of it before. Precis from www.imdb.com says:
Amid the Civil War in 17th-century England, a group of deserters flee from battle through an overgrown field. Captured by an alchemist, the men are forced to help him search to find a hidden treasure that he believes is buried in the field.

I do so want it to be like this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04kf095
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5269 on: 23 July, 2015, 09:57:34 am »
Well it does kind-of resemble that, the way Altered States resembles Dr. Kildare.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #5270 on: 23 July, 2015, 10:01:46 am »
Haven't heard of it before. Precis from www.imdb.com says:
Amid the Civil War in 17th-century England, a group of deserters flee from battle through an overgrown field. Captured by an alchemist, the men are forced to help him search to find a hidden treasure that he believes is buried in the field.

I do so want it to be like this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04kf095

It's a Ben Wheatley film and it's probably his least accessible.  It was interesting to watch and I think would probably benefit from being off your face on mushrooms.  On being asked why he made it he said that most of the great film makers made lots of films and that he didn't think he would get the chance to make a film like this again for a while.

He's recently made an adaptation of High Rise due out later this year and has just wrapped main filming on Free Fire which looks really interesting.

If you've not seen any of his films I recommend Sightseers which is great (and probably his most accessible film).

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5271 on: 23 July, 2015, 12:12:52 pm »
The Terminator.

A brilliant love story.

Correct.

Several of my favourite films actually turn out to be (Sci-Fi) love stories across time.

Twelve Monkeys
Groundhog Day
Tom's Midnight Garden ('70s BBC drama which even as a kid I found very poignant when the truth "clicks" with Tom)
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #5272 on: 24 July, 2015, 12:14:43 am »
Tracks. A woman walks from Alice Springs to the Indian  Ocean with four camels, and doesn't need a man. Quirky, beautiful and enthralling.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5273 on: 24 July, 2015, 12:36:52 pm »
I really fancy that,  was it on DVD?
Milk please, no sugar.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5274 on: 26 July, 2015, 04:33:22 pm »
Ted.

So-so. Not really my kind of humour.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.