Author Topic: Miserable March  (Read 7495 times)

Miserable March
« on: 22 March, 2013, 03:33:42 pm »
A lot of people (including the BBC) are describing this month as "Miserable March" which has been so, so different to the same time last year and has put up to 60% of the field off from starting*.  So what's causung it, or is this just the way March was a few years ago?

It all seemed to start in the middle of January, after the first two-weeks of the new year were really mild with temps at 12c around here, but then the weather people mentioned something going on in the stratosphere which changed everything. So is it still the same scenario with that stratosphere thingy?

Last year though, the weather took a distinct nose-dive once April arrived and never really recovered, so perhaps a few more weeks of this and we will (hopefully) see some improvements!  Please dont bring that bloody jet stream into this though.

It still doesnt appear to stop some folk (a name beginning with T from MK) from attempting the rides.  He left home at 3am to cycle 66 miles to Lichfield for my Vale of Belvoir and rode home again afterwards, and when the temperature never got above 1c all day.

* my Vale of Belvoir 200k on 10th March

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Miserable March
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2013, 03:47:57 pm »
Jet streams too far south - same as what cause the miserable summer last year.

With any luck, miserable March and April may make for a decent bloody summer for the first time this decade!
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2013, 03:54:54 pm »
I thought "Miserable March" was going to be a ride.  It's just the weather for slogging into a fenland headwind...

Hillbilly

« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2013, 05:01:28 pm »
I suggest you all come down to the South East and enter my events  ;)

It's not been too bad down in the South East.  Yes, it hasn't been balmy and I've only ridden without longs twice since the New Year, but I've managed to ride most weekends (other than one in January, which was the weekend of the Hills and Mills, when the so-called snowpocalypse hit, which was a bit of an overstatement) even if this meant riding the day after originally planned.  It's not even been particularly frosty from memory, at least compared to previous years (2 years ago was pretty poor).

I'm going to be out and about tomorrow, although with a little trepidation.  More because of the rain mixed with the cold air, which might make staying warm more difficult.  I don't expect to be posting pictures similar to those on the event over Park Rash last weekend(!)  So whilst not exactly full of the joys of spring, miserable March would be overstating it.  I'm no more miserable than usual  ;D

Kind of brings home how different the challenge is faced by people round the UK, if I compare and contrast our local experience to (say) Scotland.

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2013, 05:37:06 pm »
Miserable weather is just a matter of point of view! ;D ;D

People in Brittany, a region of France famous for its rainy weather, used to say:
"There is no bad weather in Brittany. There are only inappropriate clothes."

« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2013, 05:39:08 pm »
I can;t emember a march with this much cold. I do remember some windy days and often wet and windy days but it's never been this cold. March temperatures are often in double figures celcius in the daytime at least.

« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2013, 06:40:23 pm »
I have to say I am getting fed up with the weather now. Usually I can accept that from the Dartmoor Devil (end of Oct) through to March are going to be cold, wet and windy. At this point you start to get a few days where you can wear summer mitts, need no overshoes, wear bib shorts and even get the summer bike out for a spin.

It just looks really grim. I feel I have done my time in cycling in winter now. Someone once said to me "Winter miles = Summer smiles". It can't come soon enough. I'm sick of cycling is this weather now.

The most depressing aspect is that the 10 day forecast for my region has a max temp of 7 degrees on any day and most overnight temps at freezing or below.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2013, 06:51:17 pm »
I have just checked my mileage log for last year. The fortnight we are currently in must have been spectacularly pleasant , judging by the distances that I recorded.
Then it all went badly wrong. Does anybody remember late March and April last year  My mileage dropped away to nothing some weeks!
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2013, 06:54:48 pm »
The last week in March last year was when summer happened.  Then we had the drought (in the Southern Water sense).

Euan Uzami

« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2013, 06:56:05 pm »
My only worry is that what if by some absolute freak of nature it is like this literally all through summer.
In a sense I don't mind when it gets better, as long as it does eventually - is it actually guaranteed, or could it be shit all year?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 22 March, 2013, 06:58:36 pm »
I'm on the waiting list for some surgery.  I guarantee that we're going to get a couple of weeks of decent cycling weather whenever that happens.

« Reply #11 on: 22 March, 2013, 06:59:05 pm »
I heard 'they' were thinking about declaring that March was going to be extended by 2 weeks for the purpose of RTY and AAARTY as a totally one off thing.

Mind you, it could be just a rumour.

« Reply #12 on: 22 March, 2013, 07:06:16 pm »
US Military have been testing HAARP in the ionosphere.

As the conspiracy theorists predicted, its shagged up the weather.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #13 on: 22 March, 2013, 07:10:07 pm »
The weather this month has threatened to put years on me.
A couple of weeks ago I DNS'd a perm due to the weather.
Later that afternoon I found myself in a shop in town trying on a corduroy jacket (to go with my beard.)  :-[
It's never happened to me before and if the weather had been better, I'd have been out riding.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #14 on: 22 March, 2013, 07:11:31 pm »
Jeez. It better turn soon then - if only to save bairdy from himself!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 22 March, 2013, 07:18:08 pm »
My only worry is that what if by some absolute freak of nature it is like this literally all through summer.
In a sense I don't mind when it gets better, as long as it does eventually - is it actually guaranteed, or could it be shit all year?
Could this be the gulf stream finally moving as predicted?  :-\

I assumed that bolting my studded tyre back onto the commuter last week would see this lot off, but to no avail - the gods must have known I wanted to ride The Dean  >:(

I heard 'they' were thinking about declaring that March was going to be extended by 2 weeks for the purpose of RTY and AAARTY as a totally one off thing.

;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #16 on: 22 March, 2013, 07:31:06 pm »
I had to visit the doctor today. It would seem I have damaged my hands riding for extended periods in the cold and wet, with insufficient glovage and pre-existing Raynaud's.

It's a factor in our decision to DNS this weekend. We're hoping it warms up before Easter, or plans will start to get a bit fucked up. The lovely boab even bought upgraded glovage for me - in a desperate attempt to stop my incessant complaining about my painful hands.

« Reply #17 on: 22 March, 2013, 07:34:50 pm »
Have you tried using motorcycling gloves?

Phil W

« Reply #18 on: 22 March, 2013, 07:49:11 pm »
I've certainly appreciated the warmth of the cafe on my rides this month. This cold just takes it out of you.

mikewigley

« Reply #19 on: 22 March, 2013, 07:59:03 pm »

Ho ho ho!  No chance

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #20 on: 22 March, 2013, 07:59:19 pm »
upgraded glovage for me
Chris - try these
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Technical-Clothing/Shell/Buffalo/DP-Mitts-BUF-MIT#.UUy3mBwqzCs
I have two pairs, never been cold even in Greenland at minus 20c, on the bike they are flexible enough to operate STi levers and brakes etc. Even changed an inner tube with them. Even when wet they are warm, I have used them skiing in Scottish winters and on the High Peak Marathon, which is an utterly horrible experience.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #21 on: 22 March, 2013, 08:03:42 pm »
I thought the ride for my RRTY in December was hard, with the two hours of torrential rain and the many hours of darkness. January was also hard with the ice-cold headwind and darkness with the potholes. February was astonishly hard and cold all day but at least I managed to get it done by waiting until the temperature had risen above freezing in the early hours and getting round before the gritting lorries were out in the night. I thought by then that it would be a breeze, and March would be a doddle. Ha! Have been waiting for one single night without gritting lorries or torrential rain. Have a vast amount of respect for auks such as Phixie who have done 10 years of RRTY. That must have been really tough.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #22 on: 22 March, 2013, 08:14:28 pm »
I seem to be having all the Luck (L leg restrictions you understand). All I had to do this month was ride 1 x 200 for RRTY purposes; my Flyer is beyond my leg power at the moment, so I found that day on Wednesday on a Perm, with winter fleece/pertex top and m/cycle-style and then wool-thinsulate gloves providing the warmth to combat the nippy air.

I feel sorry for Organisers (myself included), where DNSs were prompted by the rotten Saturday/Sunday most unseasonal weather; DNSs did not help the WI and Church teams providing essential foodstuffs on my Cal events, though they did ply those who turned up with extras! Most of those who finished my Cheltenham Flyer 200 were much the worse for their epic.

Yes, preparation is definitely the key but cold (around freezing) penetrating rain/hail/sleet probably represents the worst conditions we have to combat. And it is not over yet, as we will doubtless hear over the next 48hrs.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #23 on: 22 March, 2013, 08:17:19 pm »
Although I did eat at least 2 people's portions on the CF Steve :thumbsup:

« Reply #24 on: 22 March, 2013, 08:20:28 pm »
March has been far from miserable for me. But I am an OAP and don't have to go out on my bike. I have been out twice this year for a couple of 100k rides. Have been really enjoying the Munro bagging  and other walks. I do have Raynauds but invested in Snowlife Goretex heated gloves at £250 and they really keep my hands warm and also have heated insoles at around the same money which are equqlly effective. The gloves are not much use when it's wet tho' but that's the case with almost all insulation. Looking forward to some warmer weather to get out on my new titanium machine for the Easter Arrow.