Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL 2017  (Read 122825 times)

Re: [LEL] LEL 2017
« Reply #650 on: 24 August, 2016, 11:08:15 pm »
Would a sub 76hr for last LEL be recent enough?

So you have been in the top 7, right?

I'm sure that @alwyn will invite you.

yes i was.

If I recall you were fifth to arrive at Barnard Castle on the way up at not long after midnight.

The first four were all on uprights and all mainland Europeans, so you were also the first British rider at that point.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #651 on: 24 August, 2016, 11:20:52 pm »
Completely OT but I've just become aware of this in Barnard Castle
https://youtu.be/vtdqw84eni4.
Looks like a good use of a bit of ride buffer if you have one.

I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #652 on: 25 August, 2016, 12:32:49 pm »
A convincing schedule for a 115 hour ride, starting in the middle of the day, may help allay fears that a 6am start is the only way to have a chance of finishing the ride.

I just made a rough schedule:

hour       time for stage  total time   control  distance for stage

12h00    0h   0h   Loughton      0km
07h30   4h   114h30 Loughton      48km

Assumption is in this schedule that you ride (except for the first stage) 15km/h including stops between the sleepstops, for the return leg a tad slower.

Thanks for that... gave me reason to think about times pace & sleep etc.
100hrs seems a fairly big ask huh ?

« Reply #653 on: 25 August, 2016, 01:38:18 pm »

yes i was.

If I recall you were fifth to arrive at Barnard Castle on the way up at not long after midnight.

The first four were all on uprights and all mainland Europeans, so you were also the first British rider at that point.

Not entirely correct. I guess @yanto started in the D-group, right? The first british rider who reached Barnard Castle on the way north was A32 on an upright. German rider A28 used a recumbent at that time and was the first non upright in BC. Meanwhile he nearly always drives a velomobile.

Take a look at this list, which is sorted by time of arrival for the control in Barnard Castle.

simonp

« Reply #654 on: 25 August, 2016, 02:20:34 pm »
Well impressed by that website.

« Reply #655 on: 25 August, 2016, 02:55:17 pm »
A32 was Ishmael Burdeau. From the USA, so he wouldn't have been clocked as British. He was fourth at 485 miles the week before in the Mersey Roads 24, so might not have recovered fully. http://www.24hourfellowship.org.uk/result.php?event=Mersey%20Roads%20Club&eventyear=2013

The field for a 100 hour invitation would depend on who was doing the 24, or one of the 'Adventure' rides which are gaining in prestige.

Audax continues to be very obscure. It's only really the volunteers who see exceptional performance. Peter Simon caught my attention on the Mille Pennines, I see from Wildspitze's spreadsheet that he rode a good LEL 2013 from the L group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBIU38fbiyA

« Reply #656 on: 25 August, 2016, 04:18:41 pm »
Just let the bloke finish his beans on toast off for goodness sake.

« Reply #657 on: 25 August, 2016, 04:41:35 pm »
Just let the bloke finish his beans on toast off for goodness sake.

Good point. He'd slipped out the previous night without anyone noticing, so we were surprised when he turned up. He looked so fresh that we half expected him to finish his beans on toast and get back on the road.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #658 on: 25 August, 2016, 05:14:38 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBIU38fbiyA

At 6:11. wearing a German ARA jersey and  holding a can of beer, and standing next to maverick otp, is Bernd Kaminski, who many people will remember as the captain of the comedy German tandem at the last LEL. I stayed with him a couple of weeks ago on my way back from the Arctic, and he tells me he's got a new stoker for next year.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #659 on: 25 August, 2016, 07:17:07 pm »

yes i was.

Not entirely correct. I guess @yanto started in the D-group, right? The first british rider who reached Barnard Castle on the way north was A32 on an upright. German rider A28 used a recumbent at that time and was the first non upright in BC. Meanwhile he nearly always drives a velomobile.

Take a look at this list, which is sorted by time of arrival for the control in Barnard Castle.

Wow what a fantastic piece of information, yes I set off at 06:30 my number was D4.

The spreadsheet really brings it back, when i was taking it easy, helping a fellow rider, going for it, getting lost and having a mechanical, oh and the sleep stops where i couldn't sleep and my final stop at St Ives where I slept so deeply it required some considerable physical force to penetrate the dream I was having.

I would love to try again, and to beat 70 hrs would be my target.

I didn't know where i was in overall position until Mr Larrington at Pocklington IIRC (on the return leg) told me only a few riders had come through.

red marley

« Reply #660 on: 25 August, 2016, 07:58:40 pm »
Yanto, you can also see a visualization of your progress here (just enter your rider ID in the relevant box):

http://gicentre.org/lel2013

« Reply #661 on: 25 August, 2016, 08:34:43 pm »

Wow,  didn't know that that information was available. Fascinating.  Will have a better look later when I have more time. 

I'm rider A5,   I learnt a lot from LEL2013 and am hoping to better my time next year.   I faffed and spent way too much at a couple of the controls.   Also slept at Barnard Castle the first night,  will ride through next time all being well.   

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #662 on: 25 August, 2016, 11:48:08 pm »

yes i was.

Thanks.

I must have got muddled somewhere - good thing I was just waving the riders in and not stamping their cards on arrival.

« Reply #663 on: 26 August, 2016, 07:29:30 am »
I've always liked the way that unpublished times make narrative accounts more important. They reveal character.

Meeting the writer rounds off the story. It's a shared endeavour, I think finishing times are useful in interesting those who've not done the rides, which can broaden the appeal. But I'd rather read a good account of a sunrise.

« Reply #664 on: 26 August, 2016, 05:08:41 pm »
What is the main road bash between Thirsk and Pocklington (A19, round/through York , then A1079?) like in the evening/night? Worthwhile considering at the right time of day/night?
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #665 on: 26 August, 2016, 05:16:28 pm »
What is the main road bash between Thirsk and Pocklington (A19, round/through York , then A1079?) like in the evening/night? Worthwhile considering at the right time of day/night?

You'd be alright. The A19's livable - the 1079's generally worse and generally worth avoiding.

Personally, I'd go Thirsk-Easingwold-Sheriff Hutton-Stamford Bridge-Pock. There's an iffy crossing of the A64, otherwise it's a pleasant run.

« Reply #666 on: 26 August, 2016, 05:49:19 pm »
If anyone would like a first hand account of LEL2013 I can thoroughly recommend Malcolm Dancy's e-book. A couple of hours well spent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T1WMKRE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Reply #667 on: 27 August, 2016, 02:41:09 pm »
[...]
Assumption is in this schedule that you ride (except for the first stage) 15km/h including stops between the sleepstops, for the return leg a tad slower.
Thanks. I guess it would be best to adjust this so that the sleep-stops on the way up and on the way down correspond with each other?

Phil W

« Reply #668 on: 27 August, 2016, 04:24:18 pm »
[...]
Thanks. I guess it would be best to adjust this so that the sleep-stops on the way up and on the way down correspond with each other?

Absolutely no need to match sleep stops north and south. Just have them when you need them.

« Reply #669 on: 27 August, 2016, 05:46:09 pm »
[...]

Absolutely no need to match sleep stops north and south. Just have them when you need them.

The only justiification for aiming to sleep at same places north & south would be to access bag drops at sleep both ways.   Then you don't have to carry your teddy bear and pyjamas with you.  The problem with that is that it tends to lock you (mentally) into a schedule, and you either stop to sleep before you need to - or you push on in increasingly tired state, going slower and slower, trying to reach the control where your bag drop is....& by the time you get there you've no time to sleep anyway, and are in too befuddled a state of mind to use the contents of the bag.  DAMHIKT  :facepalm:

« Reply #670 on: 27 August, 2016, 06:19:12 pm »
[...]

The only justiification for aiming to sleep at same places north & south would be to access bag drops at sleep both ways.   Then you don't have to carry your teddy bear and pyjamas with you.  The problem with that is that it tends to lock you (mentally) into a schedule, and you either stop to sleep before you need to - or you push on in increasingly tired state, going slower and slower, trying to reach the control where your bag drop is....& by the time you get there you've no time to sleep anyway, and are in too befuddled a state of mind to use the contents of the bag.  DAMHIKT  :facepalm:

Best be safe and carry your pyjamas with you. Putting teddy bears in bags is cruel so find room for him too.

« Reply #671 on: 27 August, 2016, 09:32:10 pm »
Anyone know what proportion of riders didn't use the bag drop/s last time?

« Reply #672 on: 27 August, 2016, 09:54:56 pm »
7%

« Reply #673 on: 27 August, 2016, 10:51:17 pm »
Putting teddy bears in bags is cruel so find room for him too.

It wouldn't be the first time a teddy bear completes LEL.

« Reply #674 on: 28 August, 2016, 10:13:06 pm »
One of the staff at the Alston garage/mini-market noticed my LEL top whilst I was on The Old 240 this weekend.  She asked 'when the next audax is', meaning the next LEL.  She asked for the dates, but I couldn't tell her off hand.  She commented that there was a group of riders waiting outside for coffee/breakfast etc when they opened in the morning.  I think she was implying that if they had a bit of notice they would be better prepared.  They might even open early/late?  I said I would pass it on, so hope this suffices.