Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 83188 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #725 on: October 15, 2018, 09:40:22 am »
To the chap I see riding most weekdays, who has the irritating combination of a pathetically weak rear blinky light and 2x obnoxiously bright lights up front.

Well done on getting one of those fancy Proviz gilets. However, it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot if you wear a huge rucksack over the top of it. And, by not having mudguards, the only part that would be visible from behind was rendered useless by dint of being covered in road-muck.

Top work.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #726 on: October 16, 2018, 07:37:12 pm »
The rider that passed me at the exit of The Broadway tonight, single lane one way with barriers to the right. I'm behind a car, bus & car waiting for the lights to change. As they go orange the rider passed to my right and continued on to place themselves beside the bus as it begins to move. The bus has been indicating right the whole time, lit up like a big boxy monochromatic Christmas tree.  I'm watching muttering this is gonna be bad as they try to beat the bus then inadequately slow as if not wanting to stop. They manage to drop back just in time.
2018 targets: Survive
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #727 on: October 17, 2018, 12:36:41 am »
Any of this lot. Fucking oxygen thieves.

Frankly they deserve to spend the rest of their adult lives being fed thru a tube but sadly with that would go a severely traumatised driver and a shitload of care staff.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #728 on: October 17, 2018, 10:29:32 am »
Yeah. Mind you, I can think of a few middle-aged sensible audax types who'd do that if they had the skilllz and still had the bouncy bonez. Admittedly most of them would probably at least attempt to avoid a head-on collision and maybe even stop at red.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #729 on: October 17, 2018, 12:47:36 pm »
Yeabut as activities for the yoof of Chatham to participate in go, it's a relatively harmless one.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #730 on: October 17, 2018, 12:48:33 pm »
Nearly me for nearly pulling out of a car park in front of a lady cycling pretty much in the gutter and the carpark wall was obscuring the view.

Then her for squeezing past my van the wrong way up a one way exit

« Reply #731 on: October 18, 2018, 12:07:11 pm »
This morning.

Lady pavement cyclist, riding facing oncoming traffic, doing about 15 M.P.H. on an e-bike, riding one handed, holding a dog leash in the other hand attached to a substantially sized dog.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #732 on: October 22, 2018, 07:57:28 am »
To the chap I see riding most weekdays, who has the irritating combination of a pathetically weak rear blinky light and 2x obnoxiously bright lights up front.

Perhaps he posts here? Today a fully reflective backpack and bright rear lights. You could have seen him from the space station! Good work.

« Reply #733 on: October 22, 2018, 09:38:10 am »
Interesting one in Athens last night.
Two dim blinky lights on the front, one white and one red.
On the back a slightly larger but just as dim blue flashing item.

We did wonder if the inhabitants of the nearby police car would take an interest but couldn’t quite see what if anything happened.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #734 on: December 06, 2018, 03:28:02 pm »
Last night at about 6.00pm.  Dressed all in very dark blue or black, including a blue baseball cap, riding along the A4 in Newbury.  No lights at all on the bike, not that it would have mattered as he was pulling a wheelie.  Not a good idea on a busy main road at the best of times, certainly not in the dark when practically invisible.  I did laugh though when the inevitable happened and he ended up in a heap in the middle of the road.  Fortunately the car behind him was giving him plenty of space as he presumably had anticipated the unceremonious collapse

« Reply #735 on: December 07, 2018, 11:17:17 am »
I've never actually seen a wheelieing yoof come a cropper on the road; mucking about in the park with their mates, sure, but maybe there's some kind of Darwinian selection effect going on here?

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #736 on: December 07, 2018, 12:21:06 pm »
On a related note, it's skateboard ninja season again.

I'm all for skateboarding as a form of transport.  And it makes more sense to do it on the road, which is smoother and less busy with pedestrians than the bin-cluttered pavement.  But maybe not dressing entirely in black would be a good idea...
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #737 on: December 07, 2018, 06:20:41 pm »
The bellend going the wrong way up a one-way street with no lights in the dark who then joined a busy 2 lane roundabout without giving way and nearly got flattened by a bus...