Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo 4-5th July  (Read 17353 times)

Dunwich Dynamo 4-5th July
« on: 06 February, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »
Who is riding Dunwich this year?

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Re: Dunwich
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2015, 03:07:55 pm »
Maybe but probably not.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2015, 03:31:12 pm »
Is this the Dunwich Dynamo we are talking about? If so, I would be quite surprised if there were not already a thread about it. Rogerzilla tends to start one pretty much as soon as the previous ride has finished.

Edit: a quick forum search would indicate that such a thread has not been started. May I request that the OP update the title to include the details?

2nd edit: I believe it to be 4th-5th July 2015. I hope to be there - unless I'm in Orkney, of course!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Dunwich Dynamo 4-5th July
« Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2015, 03:56:58 pm »
Done.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 06 February, 2015, 03:59:35 pm »
Perhaps.  Hopefully I'll have some fitness this year.

« Reply #5 on: 06 February, 2015, 04:01:40 pm »
Already in the calendar. Last year we got sensible and went up to Dunwich to camp for the weekend. Train down to London on the night. So nice to finish, breakfast in the cafe and then simply fall asleep. Meanwhile partner had a weekend of bird watching and wasn't tired from having to set out to collect me at a ridiculously early hour.

The nearest thing to a problem was the train in being rammed with fellow Dunrunners. That said the railway folks had anticipated the demand and were very helpful.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6 on: 06 February, 2015, 04:12:11 pm »
It's in my diary this year as it doesn't conflict with other, non-cycling related, silliness in July.

Tentative plan: from Dunwich, ride to Diss to catch train back to London.
Definite plan: have loads of G&T to hand throughout the ride.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2015, 04:46:01 pm »
Tempted, as I'd love to do it one day, but it's a long night out and and even longer trek home. I'd probably have to make a mini-break of it, staying near Dunwich and getting the train back into London to start the ride, but that can get expensive quickly.

« Reply #8 on: 18 February, 2015, 02:34:54 pm »
For the first time in a couple year's I'll not be riding the Dynamo.

Cos I is getting married the same weekend and I don't fancy leaving the wedding to ride to the seaside no matter how much fun it is.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #9 on: 18 February, 2015, 03:24:52 pm »
Blimey! That's a bit rash! :P

Congratumalations!

« Reply #10 on: 18 February, 2015, 07:41:30 pm »
 My very tentative plan at the moment is a very leisurely from Suffolk, taking all day to get to the start . If I haven't got enough miles in my by July I will take the train to the start.  ;D
123 Miles East of Marsh Gibbon

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #11 on: 22 February, 2015, 07:38:45 pm »

Cos I is getting married the same weekend and I don't fancy leaving the wedding to ride to the seaside no matter how much fun it is.

D.

Congrats!!!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #12 on: 22 February, 2015, 07:56:08 pm »
Err - apparently I agreed to do this with some friends while under the influence of alcohol on New Year's Eve. I thought at that time that Dunwich was next door to Brighton! I have now looked at a map and discovered the truth.
Better get some miles in.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #13 on: 22 February, 2015, 07:58:10 pm »

D.

Congrats!!!

+1.

I may do this ride this year but then I have been saying that for the last 2 years!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14 on: 06 March, 2015, 10:11:29 pm »
I think swmbo has already booked the annual holiday around then.  This ones been on my radar for a few years being a fenlander myself.

Instead I'll be dealing with Majorcan lumpiness.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #15 on: 08 March, 2015, 04:14:08 pm »

D.

Congrats!!!

You could always get a Tandem!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #16 on: 08 March, 2015, 04:33:17 pm »

D.

Congrats!!!

You could always get a Tandem!

I think the Hon. Memb. will find that Mr. and the future Mrs. Lodwig are already in possession of such a steed and that it  participated with them in last year's Dun Run.

« Reply #17 on: 26 March, 2015, 11:32:58 am »
I'm in; and (as ever) I'll bring tajasel of this parish on the tandem if she isn't otherwise occupied, but previous Dun Runs suggest this is a slim possibility.

« Reply #19 on: 09 April, 2015, 08:43:58 pm »
http://www.abelliogreateranglia.co.uk/dunwich-dynamo-restrictions

That's going to make it harder for people to do the Dun Run. Last year the Saturday evening train heading to London I was on. was carrying about 30 bikes in a very packed guards van. I think I will try and get enough miles into my legs to ride it both ways. A early start on Saturday morning for a very gentle ride down to London. Hopefully there will be others doing the same.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #20 on: 09 April, 2015, 09:32:12 pm »
Does intrigue me just who the train companies think they are providing a service for. They need to get rid of 'customers' and bring back 'passengers'. Grrr. No doubt the detail in buried away in a tender document written by a politicised civil servant.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: 09 April, 2015, 09:39:21 pm »
I read this as:

Due to the growing popularity of the annual Dunwich Dynamo cycle event  ...  Abellio Greater Anglia will this year introduce partial cycle restrictions on its network on Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th July.

What sort of knob-headed stupidity and corporate bollocknumbness does it take to come up with such ridiculous crap?

« Reply #22 on: 09 April, 2015, 10:16:07 pm »
The Abelio Way

Genuine people, innovative in spirit and dedicated to a positive future for travel, this is the Abellio Way.

It is our people and our approach that make us different. We know that to succeed as a business, the transport industry must be in good shape. Our way, the Abellio Way, allows our people to have the freedom to be themselves so that they can achieve their full potential, not only while they are with us, but throughout their entire career; this is our commitment to travel as a whole.

Our role in transport extends beyond the journey from a-to-b. With our international heritage and our policy of sharing best practice, not just amongst ourselves, but across the wider transport industry, we provide thought leadership and truly innovative ideas which make a positive contribution to the communities we serve. Our business practices are not exclusively profit driven and we will always work closely and creatively with our clients to achieve the best solutions for our passengers. That's because we are dedicated to our partnerships and take our role as custodians of public transport seriously, for both the short and long term.

We challenge the traditional conventions of travel so that we can provide better quality, safer, more convenient transport services that genuinely benefit our clients and customers, and we do it the Abellio Way.

Got that? Come to think of it, sounds like a tender submission.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: 12 April, 2015, 07:30:28 pm »

That's going to make it harder for people to do the Dun Run. Last year the Saturday evening train heading to London I was on. was carrying about 30 bikes in a very packed guards van. I think I will try and get enough miles into my legs to ride it both ways. A early start on Saturday morning for a very gentle ride down to London. Hopefully there will be others doing the same.  :thumbsup:

Their blurb gives a limit of 50 bikes per train, Ipswich to london.  Dunno about their other restrictions,  but 50 > 30, or have I missed something Z?

« Reply #24 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:29:26 pm »

Their blurb gives a limit of 50 bikes per train, Ipswich to london.  Dunno about their other restrictions,  but 50 > 30, or have I missed something Z?

50 bikes on Sunday but only 8 on the Saturday for people travelling to London for the start.