Author Topic: Recommend me a Fixed / Single Speed Bike  (Read 16609 times)

Re: Recommend me a Fixed / Single Speed Bike
« Reply #25 on: 07 October, 2008, 07:09:25 pm »
Singular Cycles Peregrine Singular Cycles built up with your favourite bling.

Nice, but an eccentric BB just looks like a solution to what shouldn't be a problem in the first place

Yebbut, this is a multi-purpose frame and an eccentric works really rather well with disc braked single speed (as well as disc braked gears and no brakes at all fixed)

border-rider

« Reply #26 on: 07 October, 2008, 07:19:09 pm »

Nice, but an eccentric BB just looks like a solution to what shouldn't be a problem in the first place

Yebbut, this is a multi-purpose frame and an eccentric works really rather well with disc braked single speed (as well as disc braked gears and no brakes at all fixed)

Oh, agreed and if I wanted such I'd likely buy that.  Very nice.  But Regulator wanted fixed, specifically, and I'd sudgest that for a fixed-specific bike an eccentric BB is just a faff.  Unless you want a disc-brake fixed of course, then it's ideal.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #27 on: 07 October, 2008, 08:42:12 pm »
Following this with some interest.

Two years ago I was pondering the options and got down the Pomp, and Canondale Badboy.

The Cotic looks rather good - has flat bars, can take rack, disc brakes - sounds like the killer commuter I've been looking for. And doesn't involve trekking up to On-One to actually try it out.

I'll be at the Cycleshow and will take another sweep round, but RR looks good.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #28 on: 07 October, 2008, 09:11:40 pm »
For £1k look at the Condor Tempo

You'd have to upgrade a fair amount on the Tempo to get it up to £1k.

The base bike is £700 but that (strangely) doesn't include mudguards. I spent about £800 after adding mudguards, upgrading the rims to Open Pros, changing the tyres to GP 4 Seasons and adding a rack and rack mounted light (B&M D'Toplight).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #29 on: 08 October, 2008, 07:57:15 am »
Yay!!!!!!!   Mr R has (sort of) agreed to me getting another bike.   :thumbsup:

If anyone wants me, I shall be at the Cycle Show on Sunday, lusting over machines.  To find me, just follow the trail of drool...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #30 on: 08 October, 2008, 08:21:41 am »

The base bike is £700 but that (strangely) doesn't include mudguards. I spent about £800 after adding mudguards, upgrading the rims to Open Pros, changing the tyres to GP 4 Seasons and adding a rack and rack mounted light (B&M D'Toplight).

I asked for a quote a short while ago and the price was easily rising once you add mudguards, rack, OPs, better tyres etc. My version came at about £900+ which I thought to be too much.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #31 on: 08 October, 2008, 08:23:03 am »

What is the spacing at the rear? 120 mm?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #32 on: 08 October, 2008, 09:47:46 am »
Hmmm... the Roadrat looks nice too (despite the colour).  Can't tell whether it will take a rack though...

It will.  It's also quite easy to spend a grand building one up. :-[

And the rest...  I think I went a bit mad when I did mine :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #33 on: 08 October, 2008, 10:20:02 am »
I've had lots of fixeds (well, at least a dozen), mostly yer 531 old steel variety.
For 'grds and rack capability, I'd choose my current Tricross Single over any of them. Pick one up barely used for 300 quid max, upgrade wheels and with better "road" tyres and keep OEMs as spares with the knobblies. Still all come in at half a grand.
And with the balance buy a light(er) weight skinny tyres no 'grds fixed for dry days!
Just that I'd always rather have two 500 quid bikes at 2nd hand prices than one 1000 quid one at full retail!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #34 on: 08 October, 2008, 10:36:35 am »

I asked for a quote a short while ago and the price was easily rising once you add mudguards, rack, OPs, better tyres etc. My version came at about £900+ which I thought to be too much.

They cheekily tried to charge me the full price (£54) for the upgraded tyres, rather than the difference (£6) between the standard Gatorskins and the GP 4 Seasons I wanted. Luckily I saw them scribble that down on the paper and, when challenged, they apologised (in a kind of "bugger, he noticed" kind of way) and knocked off the £48 from the price. The rim upgrade was a sensible price though.

I can't remember if I got a 10% LCC/CTC discount off the whole lot at the end too...

« Reply #35 on: 08 October, 2008, 01:14:55 pm »

What is the spacing at the rear? 120 mm?

135mm

Regulator

« Reply #36 on: 10 October, 2008, 10:02:18 am »
I shall bear all your suggestions in mind as I tour Cycle this Sunday with my credit card in hand...  ;D

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #37 on: 10 October, 2008, 02:35:02 pm »
The Trek is very nice and very light. Space and fittings for guards and a rack a properly sensible bike I reckon. I had to help repair a puncture on one for someone at work and was impressed.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #38 on: 10 October, 2008, 07:39:21 pm »
They cheekily tried to charge me the full price (£54) for the upgraded tyres, rather than the difference (£6) between the standard Gatorskins and the GP 4 Seasons I wanted. Luckily I saw them scribble that down on the paper and, when challenged, they apologised (in a kind of "bugger, he noticed" kind of way) and knocked off the £48 from the price. The rim upgrade was a sensible price though.

I can't remember if I got a 10% LCC/CTC discount off the whole lot at the end too...

I'm about to order one via Cycle2Work without ever having seen one. The rims in the brochure are Miche but I can't find out any info about them. Is there a reason why I'd really want OPs instead? Much as I like OPs, the Miche look quite pretty.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Regulator

« Reply #39 on: 11 October, 2008, 09:28:20 am »
What do people think of the Genesis Flyer?

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #40 on: 11 October, 2008, 12:20:37 pm »
I think the Tempo would be my first choice with a grand to spend.
There are zillions of options though, too many...
For £500 the Genesis Skyline looks good complete with guards, Reynolds 520 and nicely finished, it's on my shortlist.  But do a bit of googling, I found this about chainline issues with the Genesis Flyer...

Genesis Flyer Fixed chainline - an email from Madison - London Fixed-gear and Single-speed

08 GENESIS Skyline (Winter Flyer) | Single Speed | Bikes | JD Cycles, Ilkley

An altenative I would seriously consider is build a fixed on a Salsa Casseroll frame... old style dropouts a la Tempo for easy rear-wheel removal with guards, a well reviewed frame in C+, (a pall in our club has a winter trainer based on one, 35mm tyres and guards, he really rates it as a great blend of dynamic and comfortable ride).  The other advantage is that the frame will also take a rear mech, so can easily convert to geared use (if that's a useful consideration).  Final factor is that there are not many on the road... a small point, but a good one.

© Salsa Cycles 2008

Salsa Casseroll Review - BikeRadar

salsa casseroll fixed-gear commuter… « The Broken Spoke

« Reply #41 on: 11 October, 2008, 05:59:10 pm »
What do people think of the Genesis Flyer?

Nice. I'd consider the Skyline version for you though.

« Reply #42 on: 11 October, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »
Clearly there is an ever growing number of OTP fixeds - and an ever wider range of "types". However, the more I LOOK the more I feel that very few represent good VFM. I know that "manfrs" pay only a small fraction of the retail price for gears stuff (say one fifth for big S, having once seen the 4/5 cataegory price list!), but even allowing for that - and the smaller volume - fixeds are IMHO a rip-off. Only to be expected with a fashion item I guess!
Second hand stuff to which the "fixie" tag can be added (even tyres and saddles it seems!!) is of course going up in sympathy.
Altho' I have not yet tested the theory, I suspect that cheapest way to replicate ANY category of bike as a fixed is to buy a geared version (whatever the drop outs, which ridiculously command a price premium all of their own!) second hand, strip and flog unwanteds and....build a rear on an Eno. This is contrary to my past opinion, but needs must.
Take for example the Pearson carbon offering. Could get a carbon TCR/SCR complete and little used for less than the Cartouche frameset. And have a lot of bits to sell. £110 for a hub....a mornings work and job done.
My next "challenge" after the 50 quid Raleigh I think.
Just ramblings you understand...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #43 on: 11 October, 2008, 09:52:10 pm »
Clearly there is an ever growing number of OTP fixeds - and an ever wider range of "types". However, the more I LOOK the more I feel that very few represent good VFM. I know that "manfrs" pay only a small fraction of the retail price for gears stuff (say one fifth for big S, having once seen the 4/5 cataegory price list!), but even allowing for that - and the smaller volume - fixeds are IMHO a rip-off. Only to be expected with a fashion item I guess!
Second hand stuff to which the "fixie" tag can be added (even tyres and saddles it seems!!) is of course going up in sympathy.
Altho' I have not yet tested the theory, I suspect that cheapest way to replicate ANY category of bike as a fixed is to buy a geared version (whatever the drop outs, which ridiculously command a price premium all of their own!) second hand, strip and flog unwanteds and....build a rear on an Eno. This is contrary to my past opinion, but needs must.
Take for example the Pearson carbon offering. Could get a carbon TCR/SCR complete and little used for less than the Cartouche frameset. And have a lot of bits to sell. £110 for a hub....a mornings work and job done.

An ENO hub is indeed another £110 plus wheelbuild, but they don't actually work very well - mine creeps round over 100 miles or so and loses chain tension, despite monster torque on the mounting bolts, roughening the (unserrated) ends of the axle, degreasing etc.  I tried adding or subtracting a link to reduce the leverage of the chain on the eccentric axle, but there's not enough adjustment in it to do that unless I change the ring and sprocket (£££££).

For fixed you need horizontal dropouts, an eccentric BB which fits in a normal shell (similar price to the ENO from Germany, don't know how well it works) or a magic gear setup.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #44 on: 12 October, 2008, 07:26:34 am »
I'd assumed that at that price it would WORK!
Oh dear...

Regulator

« Reply #45 on: 12 October, 2008, 04:41:07 pm »
Well, I spent a long day trekking round Cycle 08 and being somewhat disappointed by what was on offer.  However, I did get the chance to look at the Pearson's bikes 'in the flesh' (so to speak) and it looks as though my new bike will be a Pearson's Hanzo, with one or two personal touches.

Green Party Councillor

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #46 on: 12 October, 2008, 05:40:02 pm »
I wouldn't dismiss the Touche is you want Steel Mr. Regulator

« Reply #47 on: 12 October, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

Eh? I'd dismiss the Touche on the grounds that it is aluminium not steel.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #48 on: 12 October, 2008, 07:58:21 pm »

Eh? I'd dismiss the Touche on the grounds that it is aluminium not steel.

Ignore me. Temporary loss of sanity there. It is indeed the Hanzo that is steel. As I'm able to confirm by checking my own stable. (Although in fairness mine is missing the Hanzo decal!)

« Reply #49 on: 12 October, 2008, 08:22:08 pm »
Byercycles are advertising a fixed/singlespeed frame for £149 and a full build for £455 (depending on spec)

http://www.byercycles.co.uk/bikeprice%20%2001-%2001-%2008/18R1008.html

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark