Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 917388 times)

Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #7050 on: Yesterday at 01:07:39 pm »
I've spent about an hour reading a lot of material online about golden rice.

On balance and for many reasons I doubt the integrity of the project.  It feels to me like another revolution of the wheel that Friends of the Earth were fighting back in the early noughties against large biotechs like Monsanto. 

Key to this is apparently the amount of vitamin A actually in the rice is so insignificant as to make no real difference at all.

It worries me that organisations like the Bill Gates Foundation have put money into this.  The power and influence of such organisations tends to have greater influence in the halls of power than local farmers.

I am not saying that GM or GE as they are framing it in this instance is always bad but I am cautious as to the motives of huge multinational biotechs as theirs are businesses driven by profit, not by philanthropy.

« Reply #7051 on: Yesterday at 01:19:16 pm »
Reading the article referenced suggests to me that its far from a black and white argument. I'm not clear, for example, who controls the seedbank? Where farmers may have built up their own resource right now, if this new yellow rice is one of these sterile varieties that needs them to buy new seeds every year...

There is a lot here that is not clear

A bit of reading suggests that there are no current GM crops sold that are sterile, and that includes Golden Rice, which as a project has been around for ages. So called “terminator’ or “suicide” seeds were originally produced to pacify the likes of Greenpeace who were concerned about hybridisation, but your perspective (sole supplier of seed being the patent owner) generated such adverse publicity that they were never commercially deployed. I think the suppliers switched to producing pesticides & herbicides and then making GM crops that were resistant to the specific chemicals in their products to ensure continuity of sales.

To take fd3’s point, there are many ways of addressing Vitamin A deficiency, but adding it to a food that is a major staple in areas where VAD is commonplace seems a sensible approach. Yes, Syngenta own the patent, but that’s the way of the world. The scientists who originated the concept were never going to bring it to market without funding from a major business.

As for GM foods, I’m growing 2 in my garden, and have done for years. A sweetcorn and a tomato, both F1 hybrids. They seem to hav passed Greenpeace by - or maybe it wasn’t enough of a David and Goliath contest for them.   

And x-post with PB, but from a different perspective.

As to the vitamin A content, this is in a foodstuff that makes up the majority of the diet in the area the product was to be deployed..

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7052 on: Yesterday at 02:08:17 pm »
I don't have a problem with GM, everything we grow is GM through selective breeding, the difference is the splicing so we get glow in the dark aubergine-squids or something.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #7053 on: Yesterday at 02:23:48 pm »
Well known Supertwat Barton in expensive hot water.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/may/24/joey-barton-calling-jeremy-vine-a-bike-nonce-was-defamatory-judge-rules

Not yet but hopefully soon!  Vine still needs to prove reputational damage and loss, and even then SuperTwat Barton can still present a defence.  ST Barton may be best advised to offer to settle before trial, but then again I am not sure he is the sort of bloke who takes legal advice.

« Reply #7054 on: Yesterday at 11:29:50 pm »
Gove
Lest anyone get sentimental as he retires, hated by teachers, school kids and parents.  Excellent work increasing the gap between kids in private and comp schools.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace