Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 444291 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1675 on: 16 September, 2017, 12:28:02 pm »
Mrs CET was visiting in laws so had the morning to myself.  Pushed the distance out to 34km with a mostly new route following the Brenda Parker Way north of Hook and then cutting across to the Basingstoke Canal via Winchfield Church.  This allowed me to scout out the end of the Basingstoke Canal proper and the route from Greywell to Up Nately. A sharp hill after 7km of high speed flat towpath was purgatory but the real killer was long grass on soft ground at km 32. But kept speed and form up to that point which is very encouraging.  Will see how work goes next week but might only be one training run short of a marathon.  The plan is to get up to 50km in training and then give the full Canal distance a go

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1676 on: 24 September, 2017, 05:08:17 pm »
Slight head cold, but felt well enough to do my pet half-marathon route, only 41 seconds off my best time, which had a tailwind on the way back, so probably made the right decision to go out.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1677 on: 02 October, 2017, 11:32:10 am »
Just got the "You're In" magazine for London Marathon (ballot place, first success after 4 or 5 ballot entries).

Already planned on doing Brighton next year (entered, hotel booked, etc) so I'll probably defer it to 2019 and then skip Brighton that year.

I wonder if it's got anything to do with completing the 2 mile swim at Swim Serpentine this year (which is one of the 3 London Classics events along with VLM and Ride 100).

[EDIT] Checking online it seems I might have a Ride 100 ballot place too. Haven't had anything in the post but logging in to the registrations site (https://hub.realbuzzregistrations.com/) shows me having a bib number for the 2018 ride.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1678 on: 02 October, 2017, 11:33:33 pm »
Saturday do 6 miles and gentle 4 tonight. Nice to be out and, tonight, off road in the dark again...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1679 on: 06 October, 2017, 07:36:04 am »
Did anyone see the Runners World piece about cheating in a parkrun? I saw Paul Sinton-Hewitt's response first, so went to look for the original article. It's interesting, and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it's a stupid article looking for a sensational angle on a non-story and the journalist is "only cheating himself", but on the other hand, as an audaxer, it makes me stop to think about the question of whether or not parkrun is a "race" since it does publish a list of finishing times and placings...

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/inside-the-world-of-race-cheats
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1680 on: 06 October, 2017, 03:35:46 pm »
Did anyone see the Runners World piece about cheating in a parkrun? I saw Paul Sinton-Hewitt's response first, so went to look for the original article. It's interesting, and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it's a stupid article looking for a sensational angle on a non-story and the journalist is "only cheating himself", but on the other hand, as an audaxer, it makes me stop to think about the question of whether or not parkrun is a "race" since it does publish a list of finishing times and placings...

Races like this (and any mass participation runs such as marathons) are generally only a race for a relative few (5 or 10 on a parkrun, top 250 or so on a race like London Marathon).

The rest of the people are just out pushing themselves to a new PB or maybe just to get around within some arbitrary time limit or maybe even just to finish another one.

I use parkrun for a variety of things. Some of the time it's just miles (I'll run to/from it trying to minimise my time stopped and so it just becomes part of a longer run which I obvious run at less than 5k pace), some of the time I'll treat it as an all out effort to get a new PB, but most of the time I do because it's nice to run with a bunch of other people and I'll run it at a slower pace (e.g. HR not over X bpm) as part of some half-arsed training plan.

« Reply #1681 on: 06 October, 2017, 03:59:21 pm »
I was going to say that it's a race at the front and a run further back.

Certainly, 'cheating' is pretty pointless, but there you go...

« Reply #1682 on: 06 October, 2017, 06:49:25 pm »
I skimmed the article.
Our parkrun is certainly competitive at the front (although in a very friendly manner) but after the first few runners it's definitely you against yourself and the course (ours is all cross country and fairly hilly). We did have a couple of youngsters who cut a corner off some time ago but were spotted by one of the marshals. I think they got a bit of a chat and I assume their times were removed from the record.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1683 on: 07 October, 2017, 03:14:35 pm »
31km today after 30km mostly on the beach in the Witterings last weekend.  That brings up half marathon run number 50, as a cyclist that took up running aged 47, 5 1/2 years ago.

« Reply #1684 on: 07 October, 2017, 03:22:21 pm »
Lesson learned for me I guess.   Try on shoes in the shop, buy the ones that fit you best even if the colour is awful.   They're for running FFS and I'm not exactly a fashionable chap anyway.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1685 on: 12 October, 2017, 07:22:03 pm »
I have a confession to make, I haven't run since the last week in August.

Running mojo seems to be cowering under the pillow
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

« Reply #1686 on: 16 October, 2017, 07:02:44 pm »
Went for a run today in windy Baku.  8km, first time in 8 weeks, not the pleasantest, but I got out there

dat

« Reply #1687 on: 20 October, 2017, 11:58:58 am »
Never done running before but have just started couch to 5k. Doing it as I feel a little burnt out with cycling at the moment. I thought I should skip a couple of weeks as a cycle 200miles a week so I'm fairly fit. Decided not too and start from the beginning. So glad I did, this running thing is hard.

« Reply #1688 on: 20 October, 2017, 12:13:01 pm »
Last proper run was a lunchtime 5k on Sep 19th.

Still playing almost 2 hours of 5-a-side a week but my feet/ankles are a complete mess.

It started with a couple of 50:50 challenges at 5-a-side on the evening of the 19th. Nothing malicious in them, just a couple of times I kicked the ball (right footed) at the same time as one of the opposition. My foot hurt after the game, sharp pain around the base of the big toe (Dr Google suggests it'll be something wrong with my sesamoid bones/tendons). Although the pain is sharp at times (when I push in certain places) it doesn't hurt like a fracture does (I've broken metatarsals in the past) so I'm guessing it's more tendon related than bone.

Of course I haven't gone to the doc or physio and I've continued to play. It doesn't stop me kicking the ball with that foot either, the discomfort is pretty much the same if I play with my left foot as my right foot becomes my standing foot when striking the ball which puts just similar (but different) stresses on it.

After games I'm limping a bit, and it definitely feels like I shouldn't be going out for a proper run, but a couple of days later (I play on a Tuesday and a Thursday) it's ok enough to consider playing again. However the time I can play before the discomfort comes back is getting shorter and shorter. I've also been compensating in my gait which is throwing up a whole load of other niggles (sore calf, sore heel in the other foot, etc).

I did also do a 7h cycle ride (first ride over 2 hours in over a year) last weekend, but that doesn't seem to have made anything any worse.

Luckily it's half term soon and I'll be on holiday in sunny Cornwall for a bit. No football for 12 days and no plans for any running, just some lovely walks (or the par 3 golf course with wife/daughter). If there's any discomfort at the end of the holiday then I'll book a physio appt and see what they say. I hate not playing/running but I know that it's not going to get any better (and could get considerably worse) if I don't get it looked at properly. More annoying because I rarely ever get injured enough to have to stop, I've been very lucky in that respect.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1689 on: 22 October, 2017, 05:12:05 pm »
Went for a run today in windy Baku.  8km, first time in 8 weeks, not the pleasantest, but I got out there

Well done.  Kudos for the location.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1690 on: 22 October, 2017, 05:20:56 pm »
After 5 30km runs in the past 6 weeks, all of which were at a pace higher than my marathon PB, I thought I would give the full distance a go today.  I designed a route 2/3 trail 1/3 road that looked like it would be the right distance and be mostly downhill for the last 8km when I expected my legs to tie up.  The only difficult bit was the boggy section up through the woods which my figure of eight route required me to do twice.  The voice from Map My Run kept me honest with my kilometre splits and I was able to knock seven-and-a-half minutes of my previous best, which was set on road at the Milton Keynes Marathon.   :smug:

And was able to cut the grass in the rain afterwards.   :smug: :smug:

« Reply #1691 on: 22 October, 2017, 05:30:21 pm »
Nice steady 11 miles today with an old and long time friend and running companion. Managed to fall over descending a rough and muddy hill in the woods, but fortunately didn't land on her as she's probably less than 2/3 my weight. Ribs a bit sore now mind...

ElyDave

« Reply #1692 on: 22 October, 2017, 05:48:08 pm »

Well done.  Kudos for the location.

The only continent I've not run on is Antarctica. Par for the job with me

Next month I should be able to get a run in above the Arctic Circle

« Reply #1693 on: 23 October, 2017, 08:56:56 am »
Went for a run for the first time in ages yesterday (I don't really run, and when I do it's usually when I'm on holiday and don't have a bike; yesterday I only had a short window of free time and it wasn't worth going out for such a short bike ride). Whenever I try running, I always seem to go too hard and  my shins hurt for days afterwards, so I decided to just take it easy. Did 4 miles up the river and back, it was surprisingly ok and I didn't feel like I was going to die by the end.

I've been meaning to try a parkrun for a long time so I may try and get along to the local one soon. Should give me something to do when I can't be bothered cycling (i.e. most of the time at present).

« Reply #1694 on: 23 October, 2017, 11:43:12 am »
Went for a longer run on Sat. Kept speed down, was aiming for 10km but didn't check how far on strava, just gesstimated it. 9.4km when I got home, at average of 5:53per km, which was faster than I expected. That's further than I've run for probably 15 years. My dodgy foot really didn't like me running over grass, I may have to look into shoes with more protection. Legs a little sore this morning.

I'm really envious of you guys who can run real long distances. I'd absolutely love to be able to do that, particularly in the mountains. My tendons, hip joint and ankle say "no" quite firmly though.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1695 on: 02 November, 2017, 11:31:01 am »
I've be plagued by a stitch when running. Assumed it was due to lack of fitness.

Started to wonder if maybe the waist pouch I was wearing (non-stretchy belt) was restricting my breathing. Bought an arm pouch thing to try instead.

Went for a run this morning, not quite 5k, kept pace up to my usual speed or quicker. Not a single stitch, not even a hint of one.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

« Reply #1696 on: 02 November, 2017, 10:49:09 pm »
two short runs this week, each about 6.5km/35mins.  Calves not as bad as last time I ran.

This week I was running on the Deeside line, an old railway in Aberdeen, now a shared use path.  I had a head torch and retro-reflective gear. I was surprised how many cyclists and runners did not have either. I almost ran into another runner in the dark, wearing as much low-vis gear as he possibly could.

ElyDave

« Reply #1697 on: 21 November, 2017, 06:41:30 pm »
Only a short run today 5km or so, but in mitigation, it was above the arctic circle in Hammerfest, it was offroad in snow, and it was about -4 with a windchill to -10.  It was bloody good fun though, even if I did get lost. 

Not sure which is more middle of nowhere, here or In Amenas?

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #1698 on: 21 November, 2017, 07:07:40 pm »
I've paid a small fortune and have a place on Brighton 2018.  Good to have a goal and all that.

I think I only post on this thread now and wonder if that is a sign I need to consider another forum...

« Reply #1699 on: 21 November, 2017, 10:00:43 pm »
My Brighton 2018 attendance hangs in the balance. At least the expensive hotel I booked is refundable.

Foot x-ray came back all clear. Have a physio appointment tomorrow. Likely possible outcomes:-
a) Assessment and referral back to doc for more scans (unlikely)
b) rest (from running or 5-a-side), then physio
c) physio and rest (from running/5-a-side)
d) physio and ease back into running/5-a-side

Given:
* my last run was just over 2 months ago
* it's only 5 months until Brighton
* I'm 16kg from my self imposed maximum weight for running another marathon

...it's looking unlikely, but if I've got a chance then I've got to approach the weight loss and training properly.