Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 445669 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1300 on: 25 February, 2014, 09:21:04 am »
I'll be playing a joker for this week on Jantastic. Not due to injury or illness but to taper for the Steyning Stinger offroad marathon on Sunday 2nd. Looking forward to the run, hopefully the weather will be kind to get the best of the views from the Downs.

Good Luck Swiss Hat

I had a look at this one but decided to do the Sussex Coast on 22nd instead.  Hope there isn't too much groundwater flooding in between the hills.  If the South Downs are anything like the Hampshire Downs you might need a kayak in places.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1301 on: 27 February, 2014, 02:20:43 pm »
I don't have a joker left for Feb so I might have to cheat!

For various reasons, mostly out of my control, I'll probably get a maximum of two runs in this week. However, I'm doing a 200 audax at the weekend, and I've done a couple of long-ish bike commutes this week as well, so I think I'll have fulfilled my "run" quota, even if not with actual running.

Either that or I'll just have to write off Jantastic.

Anyway, I've set my March Jantastic target, which is to run the new Canterbury parkrun inside 22 minutes. I did the test run last weekend, which took 22.36, so I have a benchmark to aim at. It's a lumpier course than my usual Whitstable parkrun - there are four climbs with a total of 60m ascent, so not the toughest but tough enough... The official start date is 15th March, which luckily happens to be the only weekend in March I'm not audaxing, so I'm going to make a real go of hitting that target even if I don't worry too much about the rest of my Jantastic goals.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1302 on: 27 February, 2014, 03:16:06 pm »
Welcome to my world.

I'm back at the physio tonight and have been religiously doing this 50 times a day. I don't think he's gonna say 'yes' to running tho'. Not for a while yet, anyway.

citoyen

« Reply #1303 on: 27 February, 2014, 05:21:05 pm »
Welcome to my world.

Jantastic doesn't account for real life though, does it?

In the first week of January, I did all the runs I'd committed to, but because I didn't get round to logging them before the deadline, it doesn't think I did them. And the joker system is flawed too - I was able to play jokers on two consecutive illness-stricken weeks because they were the end of one month and the beginning of the next, but if they'd been in the middle of the month, I'd have been scuppered. So even if you have a good excuse like illness or injury, you're made to feel like a failure. Which is silly and counter-productive, since it's supposed to be all about motivating you.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1304 on: 01 March, 2014, 12:35:47 pm »
Sod. I did a 25 km run this morning, which included the local ParkRun (PB :smug:). When I logged the distance on Jantastic I realised my target was 26 km for this week :facepalm:. I'm a numpty.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1305 on: 03 March, 2014, 05:33:17 pm »
The Steyning Stinger marathon was 'triffic  :thumbsup:  I was very impressed with the route, organisation and friendliness of the whole event. The run features the South Downs north of Worthing and is a mix of paths, tracks & grassland. The first 3-4 miles along foot of the downs were particularly muddy yesterday reminding me of the Grizzly 20 in Devon but conditions improved during the first of the four main ascents (or stings) of the downs. From there we had great views inland and along the coast as the route headed to Chanctobury Ring, Cissbury Hill and Round Hill for the remaining stings each of 3-500 ft. The gradients were not super steep so all runable if you measured your effort. After that it was back to Steyning via a long descent for a finish along muddy tracks followed by a complementary cooked breakfast. Definitely recommended if long trail runs are your thing.

For March on Jantastic I'll be ticking over with 3 runs/week and will try some shorter faster running with a time for 5k. Looking forward to getting back on my bike for some audaxing now. Is Spring on the way?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1306 on: 04 March, 2014, 10:14:32 am »
When's the best time for a last long run before a marathon.  Have probably got the opportunity to do 20+ miles tomorrow morning but is that too close to the Sussex Coast Marathon 17 days later??
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1307 on: 04 March, 2014, 05:20:21 pm »
When's the best time for a last long run before a marathon.  Have probably got the opportunity to do 20+ miles tomorrow morning but is that too close to the Sussex Coast Marathon 17 days later??

I reckon you'll be fine for ~20 miles in long, slow distance mode if that's what you've run previously. Then maybe 10-13 miles a week before the event at same pace. Just 1 or 2 short runs in the final week to keep the legs going. That's what works for me. Good luck with the run!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1308 on: 04 March, 2014, 07:53:02 pm »
After a little break, C25K Week 3 Day 1 done.

I was a bit apprehensive, because I hadn't ran for a fortnight and was "stepping up" a level in the C25K plan, but it actually went really well. My shins didn't hurt and barely stiffened up, I was comfortable at a much faster speed than before, and my lungs/weight felt like the limiting factor rather than my shins.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1309 on: 04 March, 2014, 11:00:57 pm »

I reckon you'll be fine for ~20 miles in long, slow distance mode if that's what you've run previously. Then maybe 10-13 miles a week before the event at same pace. Just 1 or 2 short runs in the final week to keep the legs going. That's what works for me. Good luck with the run!

TX - will take the chance

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1310 on: 05 March, 2014, 11:44:19 am »
23 miles today.  Enlivened by meeting an ultra-marathoner out training who gave me some useful tips.  It was one of those very rare occasions that two people going about the same pace actually meet up.

Fortunately my legs didn't start to tie up until our ways had parted.  Pace was good so have probably done as much as I can do for the Sussex Coast Marathon on 17th.   :smug:

citoyen

« Reply #1311 on: 05 March, 2014, 11:49:02 am »
Nice one, CET. Good luck with the Sussex Coast. Looks like a belter of a route.

« Reply #1312 on: 05 March, 2014, 05:22:48 pm »
After a little break, C25K Week 3 Day 1 done.

I was a bit apprehensive, because I hadn't ran for a fortnight and was "stepping up" a level in the C25K plan, but it actually went really well. My shins didn't hurt and barely stiffened up, I was comfortable at a much faster speed than before, and my lungs/weight felt like the limiting factor rather than my shins.

Keep it going Dibdib.

I managed a 2K continuous run this morning and ran in total about 5k of the 7.6k loop of Draycote Water.   I have a target to be able to run the entire loop by the end of March.   I am extremely pleased.    :thumbsup:

I started on 29th January so I am five weeks in to my C2M.    :D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1313 on: 05 March, 2014, 05:33:27 pm »
23 miles today.
<...>
Pace was good so have probably done as much as I can do for the Sussex Coast Marathon on 17th.   :smug:
Should I point out that your marathon is a lot less than 17 days after your 20+miler? No probably not ....

Good luck  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1314 on: 05 March, 2014, 08:05:48 pm »
New shoes!!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #1315 on: 06 March, 2014, 06:48:43 pm »
Tried using the Intervals option on Endomondo at lunchtime, specifically the 'pyramid' (where the fast intervals get longer towards the middle of the programme then shorter again after half way). Hell's teeth, but I'm shattered! Didn't feel too bad immediately afterwards, but as the afternoon wore on. my legs started to tell me they'd been doing unaccustomed work and weren't happy coming down stairs, and now I'm generally sleepy.
Will repeat the exercise though. Apart from anything else, a workout which was 50 minutes, desk to desk, will be useful on occasion.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1316 on: 08 March, 2014, 12:12:33 pm »
Some limited Progress here, but if I drew a graph it would probably imitate Boab's "lumbering gait"  :-\

Summary: Started running for a month or so without notable provocation of the PF. Then strained my calf* after about 8mins gentle jog  ::-) (about 10 days ago)

This morning was first semi-succesful run since then - 24mins jog plus a lot of walking. About the only good news is that my nearest green space is now dry enough to run on. All the interesting trails further afield are underwater or still look pretty boggy, which I really can't be arsed with. Local parkrun is still flooded - I may be really lucky, and get back to 'fast 5km' level at the same time as the waters recede #optimism.

(Further issues: in the last 5metres this morning I had a sharp knee pain. I can still feel it later, but I did a steady 30 miles on the bike which didn't provoke it. Not happy, but I'll ride thru it for now.
2 weeks ago, at the start of a 20min run, I just couldn't get going due to a stabbing pain on the top of my left foot. Never had that one before! It somehow vanished with some judicious walking. Sigh.)

Even after 20mins my pampered feet are sore, I can almost feel at least 1 blister coming on. 6 months of no running == soft baby skin. Ow!

(*Oh, I know, classic cyclist-turned-runner problem. But I did about a million calf raises in the months when I wasn't running, so either I'm cursed, or strength training has no useful effect on running, despite the hype.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1317 on: 08 March, 2014, 01:30:40 pm »
I did my Jantastic long run today (30 km), which incorporated the local ParkRun and I was one second off my Jantastic target time for the ParkRun. I think that will do!

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #1318 on: 08 March, 2014, 01:48:14 pm »
My running is starting to feel more and more comfortable now, in the sense that I don't want to a) be sick, and b) it is less painful. I managed 6km earlier this week, my longest non-stop run so far. My times have been getting progressively quicker. I went to parkrun today and it was feeling good. I wondered if I might hit the elusive <30min 5km. I thought I might but then got the mother of all stitches and had to stop for a while. Managed a parkrun PB of 30.59, so only 1 min away from my goal time. I reckon without the stitch I would have been closer to 30 than 31 mins. 4 weeks ago my parkrun time was 33:15 and it has come down with each attempt. Hopefully the 29:59 is achievable this month, although what with going on hol next weekend, I will be missing the next 2 :(

citoyen

« Reply #1319 on: 08 March, 2014, 07:17:57 pm »
I was official 21 minute pacer at parkrun today. Thought I would struggle to make the time but I smashed it. In fact, I had to slow down towards the end because I was too far ahead of pace! Finished on 20.43. Can't believe it felt so comfortable!

« Reply #1320 on: 10 March, 2014, 07:33:49 am »
I'm still way off my park run goal of 30mins, at 31.41.  But I have done a sub 30 in good conditions and on a flat route earlier this year.  So I'm going to stick to that goal, it's a good motivator.

My running is beginning to feel more like running than jogging. 

Well done everybody, I do find it inspiring to read everybody's notes and thoughts.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1321 on: 14 March, 2014, 08:44:33 am »
Last main training run before the Sussex Coast Marathon today.  20km brisk.  Went well.  So in theory am prepared for the big day.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1322 on: 14 March, 2014, 07:47:31 pm »
20km brisk.  Went well.

Snap. Would have been easier without the rucsac with work clothes and marking, but hey ho.

Tho I have to ask how 20 brisk kilometres counts as tapering?!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1323 on: 14 March, 2014, 08:34:37 pm »
Because last week was 37km hilly.

citoyen

« Reply #1324 on: 15 March, 2014, 03:57:29 pm »
Did my "predicted time" for Jantastic today at the first official Canterbury parkrun. Having clocked 22.39 on the test run a couple of weeks ago, I thought 22 would be a good target. Smashed it. Came home in 21.21. Very pleased with that considering it's a much tougher course than my usual Whitstable parkrun.

Although the winner finished in a mind-boggling 15.12.  :o