Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2190419 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12500 on: 05 October, 2017, 05:53:59 pm »
Replaced the front brake pads on the Arkose. Apologies in advance to Tan Hill-goers: the new ones are squealing horrendously (at least in the stand; I CBA to take it out for a spin).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12501 on: 06 October, 2017, 07:19:10 pm »
replaced lawnmower height adjustment mechanism as the last one decided to eat itself.

Not made any easier by the general parts diagramme being crap and me not knowing what it should look like - remember it ate itself last week. Once I'd worked out how it should go, working out how to do it became a piece of cake, rather than an act of contortionism.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12502 on: 06 October, 2017, 08:56:37 pm »
Last night, fitted a new 115mm BB + spacer to an old Brompton with double crank and front mech. A 118 would have been perfect but such is life

Dismantled an old Hugi Moulton hub and determined that a Speedsix swingarm is going to have to be widened and the hub modified and the wheel redished, all for the second time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12503 on: 07 October, 2017, 08:45:47 am »
Fitted a replacement M5 cap head bolt to secure the rear mudguard, I'm considering using some loctite threadlocker to secure it, I seem to lose a bolt every three months currently.  Also adjusted rear hydraulic disc brake caliper, but it seems my adjustments didn't fix the problem, or I have a severely warped disc but it didn't look like it. Will be back on the bike stand again today.

« Reply #12504 on: 07 October, 2017, 10:37:11 am »
Bike all cleaned and lubricated after the French trip.  I probably need to change the rear tyre soon.

An envelope from Carradice contained a selection of spares for my Bagman Quick-Release system.  One of the split-pins came out during the trip.  Fortunately, unlike last time it happened, I didn't lose the sliding pin which holds the bag, so I was able to jam it in place to finish the ride.  Just got to fit it now.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12505 on: 07 October, 2017, 05:58:24 pm »
Plastered the ceiling bits I replaced last Saturday. Ouch my arms.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12506 on: 07 October, 2017, 06:19:45 pm »
rode over some broken glass today (from two cars that collided on a blind corner) and cut my rear tyre. had to repair it twice during the ride which was mildly annoying. once back home  replaced both tyres with new conti gp's.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12507 on: 07 October, 2017, 07:40:45 pm »
Finally finished this

I remade the uprights, not happy that I needed to, but glad that I did.  First time I tried to make them true to the design from ply, but with a handsaw they were awful.  Then I found an piece of kitchen plinth that had been made with the grain in the wrong direction so not used.  Just cut it square and no probs at all.  Remade in a fraction of the time of the originals.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12508 on: 07 October, 2017, 08:17:25 pm »
Aftre a mountain bike shoe disaster, fashioned some pub slippers out of gaffer tape, so that my remaining pair of dry socks wouldn't absorb spilt BEER.

Chris N

« Reply #12509 on: 07 October, 2017, 08:55:29 pm »
Took the gears off and fitted some Midge bars, new bar tape and a new drivetrain (40T stainlesss Surly ring, 17T cog and new chain) to the ti fix for the winter.  Tried to set up the Panaracer Gravel King tubeless on the rear wheel but couldn't get it to seat, even with 4 wraps of tape, so bunged a tube in instead.  First puncture, I'll get a new tyre that's actually supposed to be tubeless.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12510 on: 08 October, 2017, 01:42:10 pm »
Gave the Trek a thorough cleaning and adjusted the RD.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12511 on: 11 October, 2017, 08:10:52 am »
It, along with my welding course, is now complete.

Don't look too closely at the lap joints at the bottom

There's also a small table like this

but that's boring

« Reply #12512 on: 12 October, 2017, 05:47:53 pm »
Busy day today:

* Trimmed my bush, fnarr, fnarr! In the front garden, that is. Now much neater & tidier and still hides the recycling boxes well.
* Went to convert the Orion to derailleur, but failed. No outer cable and the Alfine one in situ was too short.
* Trimmed the rear hedge - or rather watched a more supple friend do it on top of the garages at the bottom of the garden. The elder tree came in for some attention too. I just made sure the trimmer cable kept out of the way of the cutters.
* Rewired the Orion's electrics ready for the refitting of the Alfine wheel once the broken spoke is replaced and the wheel trued. All in working order.
* Scanned in a load of documents for eldest's uni applications
* Started breaking down the elder cuttings into bits I can feed into the shredder at the weekend.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12513 on: 13 October, 2017, 08:16:45 am »
Put my phone on the charger and pumped up my tyres prior to going for a toddle.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12514 on: 13 October, 2017, 10:36:16 pm »
Replaced the Pro 4 Endurance tyres on HK's Roberts with Conti GrandSport Extras. We'll see how they go. One of the old tyres can be retained as a carry-along spare.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12515 on: 14 October, 2017, 08:14:35 pm »
The garage.

First job, remove a few bicycles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12516 on: 14 October, 2017, 08:37:13 pm »
Front derailleur fettling, including new cable and adjusting stops for a new chainset.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12517 on: 15 October, 2017, 08:48:44 pm »
Fixed a short XLR cable as a patch to take the quota to the necessary 4 short ones.
Put together a cheap eBay function generator for use when building the bat detectors. Then put the chip in the wrong way round and blew it up. Never mind, it was probably fake. Much review of videos later and I have ordered another, a replacement (hopefully genuine) IC (though I have my doubts) and now know how to improve the unit to behave nicely courtesy of too much Youtube video
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #12518 on: 19 October, 2017, 10:45:06 pm »
My Pompino was looking a little sad after some rough rides.

Three punctures repaired in the front tube and the Pasela booted temporarily until I get a new tyre.

Repaired the mystery rear puncture, and spotted the cracks along the rear rim. Sighed, and put in the spare wheel until I can be bothered to build a new rim into the other hub.

Still to do: set up the rear brake, and have a look at the brake hoods which are coming loose, and replace the bar tape. And that sprocket is quite worn as well...

« Reply #12519 on: 21 October, 2017, 04:17:27 pm »
Started intending to adjust cones on rear wheel. Ended up:
Cleaning entire bike (well, scrubbing most of the mud off).
Adjusting cones
Removing jockey wheels, cleaning gunk, regreasing etc,
Ditto derailleur (oil not grease)
Discovering why chain kept dropping - it was far too long and front derailleur was miles out - clean entire chain, can't find removable link, nevermind I have another, remove two links. adjust front derailleur
Adjust rear derailleur - wow it changes properly now!

Cleaning up jockey wheels must be the most grimy job there is on a bike.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12520 on: 21 October, 2017, 04:22:09 pm »
Cleaning up jockey wheels must be the most grimy job there is on a bike.

Chain tubes are a close second.

Even with a tampon soaked in degreaser and an old brake cable, it's minging.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12521 on: 21 October, 2017, 05:48:37 pm »
So far I've pulled the bath sealant strips off and cleaned the black mould I found behind it.  :sick:

Next will be to reseal it with sealant. I'm not impressed with the flexi-strip stuff if mould can get behind it.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #12522 on: 21 October, 2017, 09:06:18 pm »
Currently sitting drying my cycling shoes with a hairdryer. :(

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12523 on: 21 October, 2017, 09:11:24 pm »
I used bicycle bits to fettle some books.

ribbons by Andrij, on Flickr
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12524 on: 22 October, 2017, 09:26:35 am »
:thumbsup:

---o0o---

About go out & fix the puncture I fixed yesterday.  German has a nice word: verschlimmbessern - to make something worse while trying to fix it. Guilty, m'lud.