Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3951898 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23375 on: 08 May, 2020, 09:28:19 pm »
Been getting into off-roading lately, having restored the MTB I acquired a while ago. I’m still very much a noob at this but after experimenting with the suspension pressure on recent rides, I think I’ve goldilocksed it - seemed just right today, giving me the confidence to attack the bumps and dips with greater gusto. Really good fun. Also hard work - I’m totally wiped out in a way that I would very rarely be after a 25km road ride.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #23376 on: 08 May, 2020, 10:29:19 pm »
Been out the last 3 days after work. 30-40km range but lots of climbing round Strines, Bradfield & Bolsterstone. Had another ride up Jawbone Hill as well, brilliant climb.

Might head out and do Winnats Pass or Mam Nick tomorrow. I'd like to go up Curbar Edge but I imagine it'll be quite busy this weekend.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #23377 on: 09 May, 2020, 12:56:17 pm »
Nice 20-miler around the Somerset Levels.  Gorgeous, but spoiled at times by  idiots in cars behaving as though the country lanes are the starting grid at Brands Hatch.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #23378 on: 09 May, 2020, 04:16:04 pm »
Just a 14k shakedown loop, testing my Audax Mk3 after doing a bit of work on it ready for commuting on it next week rather than taking the Roubaix (which is lovely, but really wasted on that ride).

However, the best bit (other than the beautiful weather, lack of cars, and cheerful cyclists on the road) was that Mrs H came out too - probably for the first time in about 5 years  :thumbsup: She extended the loop, and the is keen to go out again tomorrow. She's also eyeing up new shorts etc., so that could end up being an expensive ride for me...

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #23379 on: 09 May, 2020, 04:33:01 pm »
Another great fixed beers route.

Lots of towpath and "cycle track" i.e. shared use so kept the speed down but still a nice time out

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #23380 on: 09 May, 2020, 05:58:06 pm »
Out again today, the lanes around Fulwood on the way towards the Peak were really busy so I decided to avoid the Peak. Still managed 45km and did Cote de Bradfield again.

Really warm so I had to find a tap round the back of a church to refill my bottle, used the gloves I've been keeping in my tool kit, will need to grab some more from work.

« Reply #23381 on: 09 May, 2020, 06:12:17 pm »
Only went out to get the phone fixed but ended up with a Run over the Campsies and up to Balfron, home via Croftamie and Dumbarton 127k in very warm weather, stayed well clear of the golf courses today  :thumbsup:

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/48533371?privacy_code=nu4bxYvTyrqEvkJx

Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #23382 on: 09 May, 2020, 06:39:10 pm »
Yes. I should have done some gardening today. But the weather was too good to just waste like that. So I went out for three and half hours in the sun and cycled 37 miles round the lanes. And what with the pubs being shut for some reason I had the good sense to stuff a beer in the saddlebag.

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23383 on: 09 May, 2020, 07:20:09 pm »
Yes, in my sandals!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23384 on: 09 May, 2020, 07:41:39 pm »

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23385 on: 09 May, 2020, 08:54:32 pm »
Yes. I should have done some gardening today. But the weather was too good to just waste like that. So I went out for three and half hours in the sun and cycled 37 miles round the lanes. And what with the pubs being shut for some reason I had the good sense to stuff a beer in the saddlebag.

Pevensey?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #23386 on: 09 May, 2020, 10:02:33 pm »
Aye. I initially headed out to The Star Inn to sit on their picnic tables to drink my beer but a couple chaps had beaten me there so I headed back towards home and then thought I'd stick my head in and see if there was a handy bench. And there was so I sat in the sun and drank my beer whilst watching the castle.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #23387 on: 10 May, 2020, 12:17:07 pm »
Went for what used to be a standard loop over to Bramshill and Riseley but I haven't ridden it for yonks.  The lanes are all looking very fresh and green with less motorised traffic.  After the Bull Lane underpass on the A33 turned right instead of left and rode down a road I'd never ridden before, an astonishing find given 30 years of cycle exploration in North Hampshire.  Saw other people out on bikes and running which I'd never normally see along these lanes at 6am.  Plus load of deer including a muntjac that was in a rare hurry to get somewhere.  Back home to make wake-up tea for Mrs CET.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23388 on: 10 May, 2020, 03:00:44 pm »
Did 38km today on the 'bent, but, it was a ''deliberately much more going uppy '' ride than my previous 8 rides, ie approx 45% was, I'd say, uppy, but that only means that 10% was 'flatty' and 45% was downward.so Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!  First time with lengthy climbs, let boom out another 5mm,  no issues, almost 400km now in just over a week. getting used to this malarky, and faster than on Olive.  Did a 62km yesterday, on a mostly flat route, and I had my best ever avg speed reading, for a lengthy ride., almost 3 kmh faster than Olive.

bairn again

« Reply #23389 on: 10 May, 2020, 03:37:34 pm »
A 15km round trip pootle into Edinburgh City Centre and back to collect some beer. 

Cold wind, but still lots of families out on two wheels, long may it continue. 

Keeps the scoreboard ticking over thats 350km for the month so far. 

« Reply #23390 on: 10 May, 2020, 03:57:36 pm »
A timed just right thirteen miles. Down round the park, into town, along the seafront and back via the park. Just over an hour.

Was a bit breezy but it's significantly picked up since I stopped by the back gate.

If I'd just done three more miles though that would have been a full hundred in the past four days.

« Reply #23391 on: 10 May, 2020, 05:29:52 pm »
65miles over the downs, down duncton hill and back over bury hill, the closed take a way cafe at the top seems to of made all motor bikes disappear and was a reminder how i stopped there coming back from Brighton for a cuppa just before lock down.  Seems years ago now!!!!

Back via aurndel and Chichester,  nice to enjoy traffic free A roads.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #23392 on: 10 May, 2020, 08:45:20 pm »
It was one of those 360 degree headwind days.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #23393 on: 10 May, 2020, 10:10:27 pm »
Got out after work on Friday thanks to odd building management kicking me out before core hours were up, with Dundee looking a tad murky over the river I headed out for a figure of 8 in the flat lands, 196m climb in 32k mostly on the normally busier roads.

Saturday saw me go flatter and slower, 420m in 50km, blat South down the A92 passing McNasty who was on his way north, quick stop at Jim Clark in Kilmany and bagged some roads I'd never ridden before at Dunbog which included a nosey at a house on ym zoopla watch list and then out to Newburgh for a tile I'd somehow missed before returning home up the coast.

Legs feeling a lot better now, also realizing that the climbing issues are more to do with weight than the leg. Dug the touring bike out the back of the garage, might set it up for commuting if I can be arsed.

Sunday... Think I ate too much chocolate after going shopping at Dundees student/posh area Tesco as I had a horiffic night so settled for a walk up the hill in the village, left leg was good dodgy right ankle less so, I really should take advantage of my work access to MSK just incase Im needed portering...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #23394 on: 10 May, 2020, 11:01:22 pm »
The most I've ridden in the lockdown so far.
60km saunter on the tandem following the Antonine wall route out towards Falkirk yesterday. Taking the canal path on one short (fairly rural) stretch proved a mistake. It was quiet, but we punctured on a drawing pin left by some cnut.  It was a hot day and we were ready for a(nother) break anyway.
Today 80km over some local hills and lanes.  Freezing cold compared to yesterday and a bloody strong north easterly which made anything above a plod a real effort.  I just plodded round  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23395 on: 12 May, 2020, 04:51:36 pm »
At last!  First ride since 16th March.  Was expecting to feel like shit warmed up on a shovel, but the turbo seems to have been good for something because it felt really good. 48k & 450 metres of climbing in a cold NE wind that I was able to dodge a bit in the forest, but it was down to 0°C overnight and the forest was still very cold. Probably hammered heart & legs a bit much but who cares?

Scenery? Only a crappy phone pic but:

Château de Fleckenstein

Now drinking tea and waiting for the rigor mortis to set in.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23396 on: 12 May, 2020, 05:17:02 pm »
Excellent news T42.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bairn again

« Reply #23397 on: 12 May, 2020, 07:12:34 pm »
A curtailed post work ride.  Id set off aiming to get up to Harperigg reservoir and back but at East Calder it became apparent that I was likley to get wet unless i headed home immediately.

I was too late though, after a dash along the A71 I turned left ie North at Wilkieston into what felt like a “cycle in” freezer, a real icy blast followed by snow which soon turned into merely heavy rain while i stopped to pop my rear light on.

Edit - I can recall it snowing on 1st May before now (1980 Im sure, it was the cause of much consternation at school) but never as late as the 12th.  Only a flurry mind but bona fide actual snow. 

Id trusted the forecast of light winds and the possibility of a shower so was jacketless, and with just fingerless mitts my wee office hands were perishing cold on arrival home. 

30km of type 2 fun.   ;D

Still its good for the garden and better weather is forecast. 

« Reply #23398 on: 12 May, 2020, 08:53:34 pm »
I had to do the shopping today and the car battery was totally dead. I got the tandem out and put it into cargo bike mode for the first time in ages. That was fun! A full trolley into 4 baskets and the big brompton bag.  :D :D :D

Do you have an adaptation for that?

Yes, Circe make them. They do a slightly different design now, as well as a wide load bed option.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #23399 on: 13 May, 2020, 06:08:19 am »
Did my shop yesterday, click and collect with a trailer. I'd a substantial load in the trailer but felt the benefit of my zwifting as I powered up one of York's most challenging inclines.

I guess the rules now allow me to take the bike to the Wolds by car as I did pre-lockdown.
Move Faster and Bake Things