Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 2476750 times)

Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #15525 on: 09 February, 2013, 08:06:41 pm »
Deciding whether my thighs have thawed enough to shower. 2 hours is surely long enough?
They're still quite cold  :-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15526 on: 09 February, 2013, 09:15:11 pm »
When they get like that, the shower's about the only thing that /can/ thaw my thighs...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #15527 on: 09 February, 2013, 09:17:17 pm »
When they get like that, the shower's about the only thing that /can/ thaw my thighs...

Is that better than an oil heater? :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15528 on: 09 February, 2013, 09:27:11 pm »

Is that better than an oil heater? :)

Yes, although I'll always think of it fondly...

« Reply #15529 on: 09 February, 2013, 09:32:17 pm »
Nah, it sets of the itching. I have to let them thaw first.
I'm starting to think they're not metabolically active and therefore I could get the NHS to have them removed, like any other benign but awkward growth...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #15530 on: 10 February, 2013, 10:58:59 am »
Mooching around, listening to music and feeling sorry for myself :( Family away for the weekend so I'd planned some long guilt free rides and some jobs round the house. But the cold I thought I'd shaken is back with a vengeance and it hasn't stopped raining all weekend. On the plus side the new Low album is rather good :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15531 on: 10 February, 2013, 11:18:25 am »
I will soon be setting off for London, with a Brompton, on which I will hie me to the Vauxhall Griffin for singing. It seems I'm billy-no-mates this evening so I'll probably come straight home afterwards.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #15532 on: 10 February, 2013, 01:41:52 pm »
  ...........................wondeing how people manage to mix these 2 up  :facepalm:
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15533 on: 10 February, 2013, 01:48:48 pm »
Horses == fast cows, innit.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15534 on: 10 February, 2013, 03:19:16 pm »
Horses == fast cows, innit.
If the recent revelations about burger contents are any indication they're obviously not quite fast enough.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #15535 on: 10 February, 2013, 03:45:19 pm »
Fixing the internet, again.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #15536 on: 10 February, 2013, 04:01:37 pm »
Sitting with Crusty on the sofa drinking coffee playing with my phone while he watches rugby. Domestic contentment. But only while the coffee lasts.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #15537 on: 10 February, 2013, 04:02:47 pm »

Thanks for the quick repair - it's working fine down here.  :thumbsup:

Who broke it this time?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15538 on: 10 February, 2013, 04:05:59 pm »

Who broke it this time?
My dad, probably - just given him a new computer.

Apologies for any inconvenience :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15539 on: 10 February, 2013, 04:25:38 pm »
Wishing I'd bought another ratchet clamp, and cleaning PVA glue off my clothes.

« Reply #15540 on: 10 February, 2013, 04:30:26 pm »
The last 3 days washing up.... :-[       I'm actually doing it in batches because I feel so utterly crap  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #15541 on: 10 February, 2013, 04:46:51 pm »

Who broke it this time?

I have no idea, I wasn't here, honest guv'nor! Big boys did it and ran away.  OK, then it might have been due to me moving the WAP to another segment of the network, and the switches (yes multiple) getting all in a tizzy.

One day I am going to rip everything out and replace with a proper, structured network.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #15542 on: 10 February, 2013, 04:57:28 pm »
Procrastinating.  I'm meant to be working but it's Sunday and I don't want to...

« Reply #15543 on: 10 February, 2013, 05:36:06 pm »
Avoiding studying which is silly as my assignment is due Thursday.

Worrying having read about problems regarding front disc brakes and QR skewers as that's what my new bike comes with. Are bolted skewers a drop in replacement and are they safer?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15544 on: 10 February, 2013, 07:35:15 pm »
Skewers which take an allen key (or something more exotic) are readily available as a security device.  I've never had a problem with them on my disc braked bike.  Other than having to have the relevant tool, I don't find them any slower than quick releases, especially on forks with lawyer lips.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15545 on: 10 February, 2013, 07:40:31 pm »
Avoiding studying which is silly as my assignment is due Thursday.

Worrying having read about problems regarding front disc brakes and QR skewers as that's what my new bike comes with. Are bolted skewers a drop in replacement and are they safer?
If you want to give an allen-key skewer a try before you commit yourself let me know, as I think I've got a spare one in the bits box.

I'm not aware of any problems with using QR skewers with disc brakes, but having said that one of the first things I do is dump them in favour of allen-key skewers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15546 on: 10 February, 2013, 07:52:36 pm »
And as phantasmagoriana will point out, not all QR skewers are the same.  I assume the issue with disc brakes is lack of clamping force, in which case an internal-cam skewer will fare better than an external-cam one.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15547 on: 10 February, 2013, 09:25:18 pm »

I'm not aware of any problems with using QR skewers with disc brakes, but having said that one of the first things I do is dump them in favour of allen-key skewers.

Remember uk.rec.cycling? A bloke on there, Russ Pinder, broke his back after losing a front wheel from a QR equipped disc braked bike.  James Annan wrote an article about a proposed mechanism for such a failure.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #15548 on: 10 February, 2013, 10:31:11 pm »
Eeeep, so I assume bolt fixing is a better choice then due to being able to clamp harder? Which is fine but a) still could work undone if a bastard tight QR can come undone and b) it's a carbon fork, surely it doesn't want to be done up too tight?

Though now I think about it surely the dropout won't be carbon so maybe not a problem doing things up v tight?

I know I'm probably being overworried here but that's sort of what I do.  :-[
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15549 on: 10 February, 2013, 10:53:27 pm »

Remember uk.rec.cycling?
I'd be lying if I said I didn't ...

A bloke on there, Russ Pinder, broke his back after losing a front wheel from a QR equipped disc braked bike.  James Annan wrote an article about a proposed mechanism for such a failure.
That one passed me by, I'm afraid. Given that I went into self-imposed cyber-isolation sometime in the late 90s this isn't really surprising.

As for bolt-on skewers on carbon forks, I ran my old Marin Point Reyes like that for a good 6 years and never had any problems, at least not until the frame decided to crack. Unless you're running Stupid Light[tm] carbon forks I doubt very much that the dropouts will be carbon. Certainly all the carbon forks I've had have had metal dropouts, more than likely alloy.

My preference for bolt-on skewers is more from a security standpoint than anything else, having learnt the lesson the hard way when I worked at York Uni - some scrotes managed to get into the locked cycle cage behind the Electronics department and pinched the skewers out of the wheels of my (then) Audax bike; clearly they planned to come back for the rest later.