Author Topic: Is This The End Of Retail?  (Read 20678 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Is This The End Of Retail?
« Reply #325 on: October 31, 2019, 12:03:14 am »
Mrs. road-runner has a three day half-term and so today we went shopping together:
- cream wall tiles: out of stock
- matching decorative wall tiles: out of stock
- a sink: out of stock
- taps
- mirror
- triple light: out of stock
- single bed sheets (which were out of stock the last time we went): out of stock

On our way home with just taps and a mirror I did say we might be more successful if we ordered online.

And yet, apparently there are 28k different varieties of taps*

No entity anywhere, bricks and mortar or otherwise, is likely to have the tap you desire in stock.

It’s not about what’s available, it’s about creating a dream in which you think that what you want is available. The internet does this.

In reality, you choose, then you wait. Bricks and mortar and the internet are no different in this regard.

*some advert I saw on the back page of a printed magazine
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #326 on: November 04, 2019, 08:55:12 am »
Another high street stalwart bites the dust.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50287153

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #327 on: November 04, 2019, 09:03:57 am »
https://twitter.com/skynewsbreak/status/1191269134279024642?s=21  Mothercare are going into administration.

A lot of comments screaming it’s nothing to do with Brexit, before anyone’s mentioned it. Defensive much?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #328 on: November 05, 2019, 12:47:07 pm »
Mothercare's international arm is doing just fine, though.  It's certainly a metaphor for Brexit, but then so is everything these days.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #329 on: November 05, 2019, 10:07:06 pm »
ELC also went a while back.  Given that people are still squeezing out rugrats, where are they buying stuff for them?
Never tell me the odds.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #330 on: November 05, 2019, 10:09:25 pm »
Can't you buy almost everything for offspring at a giant supermarket these days?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #331 on: November 05, 2019, 10:10:04 pm »
Some combination of Poundland, Tescos and the Mega-Global Sounds-Like-A-River Corporation of Washington, USAnia?

ETA: Crosspost with Mrs Pingu
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #332 on: November 05, 2019, 10:50:12 pm »
Home delivery was a godsend when my girls were small (though with twins, the amount of nappies we were getting through triggered some kind of alert with sounds-like-a-river-corp and they refused to sell us any more that month; they must have thought we were reselling them or something...)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #333 on: November 06, 2019, 07:08:56 am »
The local Facebook group does a thriving trade in parents selling their stuff on when it's no longer required.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #334 on: November 06, 2019, 09:17:08 am »
Can't you buy almost everything for offspring at a giant supermarket these days?

It seems fairly common for parents to just chuck their baby/child-stuff out on the pavement (or throw into a bush) once their offspring no longer needs it. Which always struck me as a bit bizarre, surely it has some resale value? Or do child seats and pushchairs become unfashionable?
!nataS pihsroW

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #335 on: November 06, 2019, 10:04:35 am »
I think with child seats there's an element of safety panic: "But how do we know it isn't damaged and unsafe for poor little Tesla?" as well as objection from parents to other sprogs' wee and vomit. But they are or used to be a commonly stolen item from cars. Though that doesn't indicate they got sold on, just that they were objects in parked cars. It might even be the thieves who are dumping them in the bushes.
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #336 on: November 06, 2019, 10:07:56 am »
The seat that my grandchildren sat in as very smalls was secondhand when we bought it for then, and was exceedingly threadbare when it was no longer needed.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

« Reply #337 on: November 06, 2019, 12:21:07 pm »
Selling on children's things is very much a middle class thing apparently.When we had children, we obtained clothes, etc secondhand on a frequent basis.  However if you were on benefits or low wage you bought new.  A pride thing and for those on benefits I think there was a grant as well

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #338 on: November 06, 2019, 12:51:06 pm »
But they are or used to be a commonly stolen item from cars. Though that doesn't indicate they got sold on, just that they were objects in parked cars. It might even be the thieves who are dumping them in the bushes.

A friend's mum once had her car window broken.  All that was stolen was a roll of dog poo bags.  People will steal anything.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #339 on: November 06, 2019, 12:58:32 pm »
It's rarely just a car seat, there's often a pile of toys etc. like their parents have declared an end to childhood right there and then. That's it, you're six now, go get a job in a call centre.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #340 on: November 06, 2019, 01:06:22 pm »
But they are or used to be a commonly stolen item from cars. Though that doesn't indicate they got sold on, just that they were objects in parked cars. It might even be the thieves who are dumping them in the bushes.

A friend's mum once had her car window broken.  All that was stolen was a roll of dog poo bags.  People will steal anything.
If they'd been full bags, that would have been niche.
Never tell me the odds.

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #341 on: November 06, 2019, 01:16:28 pm »
It's rarely just a car seat, there's often a pile of toys etc. like their parents have declared an end to childhood right there and then. That's it, you're six now, go get a job in a call centre.
Eee, when I were a lad we had to call our own centre.

(I'll get my flat cap.)
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #342 on: November 06, 2019, 06:16:49 pm »

If they'd been full bags, that would have been niche.

Scaryduck, fotp, told the story of being held up at knifepoint (or more likely twigpoint) and being relieved of a small plastic bag from a jewellers shop.  Containing not, as he told the villains, Mrs Scaryduck's Christmas present, but rather a freshly-laid dog egg ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #343 on: November 06, 2019, 07:15:01 pm »
ELC also went a while back.  Given that people are still squeezing out rugrats, where are they buying stuff for them?

Still available as a brand front The Entertainer stores, plus online.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #344 on: November 08, 2019, 12:14:31 pm »
Chris is spot on. We can afford to buy new kids stuff but rarely do. Except the cloth nappies but some of these lasted two kids and got passed on. A family we know on universal credit want everything new.

« Reply #345 on: November 08, 2019, 12:26:56 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #346 on: November 08, 2019, 07:07:18 pm »
Mamas & papas too it seems
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.