Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2204356 times)

microphonie

• Tyke 2
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #2950 on: 30 January, 2011, 10:47:58 am »
Drive train on commuter hybrid is knackered & I haz no mech-fu so transfered dynohub wheel, light mounts & pannier mount (eventually) across to the Club Tour. Had to replace one badly frayed rear tyre on the CT and after lots of swearing it all works fine, except:

Marathon Plus 1 vs. Crank Bros Speedlever 0  :'(

Have to say I saw that coming as the Speedlever is rather fragile. Might have to invest in a Var lever or these Park Tools heavy duty monsters
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #2951 on: 30 January, 2011, 11:45:33 am »
Drive train on commuter hybrid is knackered & I haz no mech-fu so transfered dynohub wheel, light mounts & pannier mount (eventually) across to the Club Tour. Had to replace one badly frayed rear tyre on the CT and after lots of swearing it all works fine, except:

Have to say I saw that coming as the Speedlever is rather fragile. Might have to invest in a Var lever or these Park Tools heavy duty monsters

I always think these Brooks ones look rather fetching Evans Cycles | Brooks Wheel Kit | Online Bike Shop

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #2952 on: 30 January, 2011, 12:23:15 pm »

I always think these Brooks ones look rather fetching Evans Cycles | Brooks Wheel Kit | Online Bike Shop

Nice. Have also been getting alternatives from this thread .
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #2953 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:09:16 pm »
A new chain on my commuter, after two years of near-daily use.  It was also the second bike on which I've used that chain.  Too soon?

(I only replaced it cos that was easier than cleaning it)

« Reply #2954 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:58:32 pm »
Need to throw some code together to do something useful...

W00t!

kim@willow:~/documents/programming/1wire$ time java OneWireBus
Found temperature sensor at: /10.CFB613020800
IO latches at /1F.E46808000000/main/29.36AA09000000 are: 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Counters at /1F.E46808000000/main/1D.2F510F000000 are:     68092061,    67716534

real   0m9.458s
user   0m0.160s
sys   0m0.065s

:thumbsup:

*comments code and drags self to bed*

Oooh, very neat. :thumbsup:

But why go to bed, it was only 2am, that's not really late when geekage is being undertaken. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #2955 on: 30 January, 2011, 07:05:55 pm »
Round to Mum & Dad's for the grand de-jungling of the shed.  Find that shed is goosed, and mostly being held upright by the contents.  Two trips to the tip and the first wave of junk is gone...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2956 on: 30 January, 2011, 07:17:13 pm »
After yesterdays audax I fixed the rear light on the carbon bike so it doesn't slip down the seat stay, added a route sheet holder and fitted spoke reflectors on the wheels

I know I am supposed to fit the route sheet holder before the audax but hey, I was busy.  It's (more) ready now for the next one

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2957 on: 30 January, 2011, 07:44:02 pm »
I gave the chain on the Langster a scrape with a wire brush & a wipe with an oily rag

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2958 on: 30 January, 2011, 07:54:33 pm »
Oooh, very neat. :thumbsup:

owfs is doing all the hard work driving the 1-wire interface, my code's speaking to owserver on its TCP port.  Which is a good painless approach for doing anything IOish in Java.

I especially like the way owserver will cache values where appropriate - run that test again within a minute or so and it'll only take about 200ms (the temperature sensors take the best part of a second to sample when polled for the first time).  Means you can have multiple processes reading sensors for their own reasons and it won't overwhelm the bus with duplicate readings.

But why go to bed, it was only 2am, that's not really late when geekage is being undertaken. ;D

Had to get up in the morning.  Or an approximation thereof  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2959 on: 30 January, 2011, 11:01:29 pm »
I got some Marathon Plus back onto my tourer. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2960 on: 30 January, 2011, 11:03:08 pm »
A lavatory. New flushing mechanism.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2961 on: 30 January, 2011, 11:09:41 pm »
The rear light that came fitted to my Brompton.

It's borked.

Last time it stopped working, a little tweaking of contacts & removal of a touch of corrosion fixed it. Not now. Contacts are shot, & the body seems about to fall apart.

Hey-ho. I've had my moneys worth from it, & a new one won't break the bank.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2962 on: 30 January, 2011, 11:16:51 pm »
It's been a week of fettling on Polly's bike.  I've almost finished fitting 150mm cranks and very shiny TA chain rings.  Someone very strong put it together.  Last week I bent two hex keys taking the drive side crank off.  The hefty socket set hex key rounded the bolt.  Midweek two hours of drilling and hammering did the trick.  Today I put it back together - more or less.  I gave the chain, cassette and jockey wheels a soak in white spirits and they're now as shiny as the new rings.

« Reply #2963 on: 31 January, 2011, 07:18:10 am »
Recharged lights yesterday for the commute week ahead.
Looked at the grime on the bike and thought about washing it.
Thought was as far as I got.

corshamjim

« Reply #2964 on: 31 January, 2011, 07:55:02 am »
(yesterday) was supposed to be installing printer driver on friend's PC but spent all day updating to Vista SP1 and dozens of updates which the user had been ignoring since the day they bought it.  Removed a trojan.  Left friend with instructions on how to install drivers and a warning to keep up to date with updates.

I'm so glad I don't do this sort of stuff for a living any more.  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2965 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:53:58 pm »
Replaced a snapped gear cable.  Tutted at the state of the sections of outer :-[

I also rewrapped the bar tape for one side of my bars.  The downside of bar end levers :(
Getting there...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2966 on: 01 February, 2011, 06:11:48 pm »
Kim is fettling her shoes and it looks like a year 7 technology project.  I am evidently feeling less ill as I find this greatly amusing and am considering photos to share with you all :D

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2967 on: 02 February, 2011, 12:14:31 am »
Finally assembled the single speed and found that the wheels were a little out of true, noted whe purchased but didn't think about it.  Went to true them today and noted that there were two spokes on the rear (a low number of spooked rear) that were loose so tried tightening and found that they were too long.  Not by a little bit but by a over 12 mm.  so off to get the two spokes and tighten up the front now both wheels true.  Now to collect a set of dia compe cherry brakes and all will be sorted. The bike will be on the road in its new life guise.  Suspect the frame is a little too big for me.  I hope not as it looks really nice.

Finally finished assembling the road bike but not road tested

The hybrid crank is buggered, not the bottom bracket the actual crank has play in it.  So off to find another hopefully cheap.

« Reply #2968 on: 02 February, 2011, 12:18:51 am »
Kim is fettling her shoes and it looks like a year 7 technology project.  I am evidently feeling less ill as I find this greatly amusing and am considering photos to share with you all :D

We definitely need the pics  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2969 on: 02 February, 2011, 12:24:15 am »

Too late.  I banned her from taking photos because I felt they would reveal my embarrassing lack of mechanical-fu (or because I was filing white plastic and it looked like I had the worst case of dandruff in recorded history).

I've cleaned up now.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2970 on: 02 February, 2011, 12:50:10 am »

Kim was mean and wouldn't consent to photos, not even just ones of her hands+fettlage.  Spoilsport!

« Reply #2971 on: 02 February, 2011, 12:58:00 am »

Kim was mean and wouldn't consent to photos, not even just ones of her hands+fettlage.  Spoilsport!

Oh that's sad :( Of course fettlage pics are really an excuse for forumites to check out your interior decor and kitchen appliances I have heard  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2972 on: 02 February, 2011, 12:59:34 am »
Oh, that's easy: Our decor is all landlord-issue magnolia, and I'm sure at least some of our kitchen appliances have already appeared on here.  :P

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2973 on: 02 February, 2011, 01:14:16 am »

Foot fetishist.

Also trued/retensioned the twisted wheels i built on the fixie as it was getting a bit noisy.  I thought it might as the twisted spokes settles down.  They don't tell you that in any of the how too guides.

« Reply #2974 on: 02 February, 2011, 08:20:30 am »
I built my first wheel from scratch last night  :thumbsup:

Nothing fancy - a cheap on-one 135mm fixed-fixed hub (reduced to a tenner in their sale!), DT-Swiss DB spokes onto a used but hardly worn Alex ACE-19 rim from my pile of "that'll come in useful one day" bits.

Also trued/retensioned the twisted wheels i built on the fixie as it was getting a bit noisy.  I thought it might as the twisted spokes settles down.  They don't tell you that in any of the how too guides.

I bult using the Roger Musdson e-book. It tells you how to check for this as the wheel tightens ("flags" of tape on the spokes), and that one of the stress relieving methods (pushing the rim) can sort it out.

We'll see how well I did on the build once I've put it on a bike and ridden it for a bit - which involves stripping all the gear stuff off first.