Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2205044 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #2975 on: 02 February, 2011, 08:56:40 am »
I fettled my garden shed clean yesterday, found 55p (yay, I'm rich!) in my Carradice Camper Longflap, popped the workstand up and got my lemond etape racer bike working smoothly, and even managed to fettle more rear clearance on the rear crud racer mk2 but feeding it over the rear brake rather than under it.  It might even work with 25mm tyres!   :thumbsup:

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2976 on: 02 February, 2011, 10:14:26 am »
Here is usually a fettle-free zone since I bought a bike that rarely needs it (Koga Miyata Silver Ace). However, after a couple of thousand miles something finally got through the puncture resistant rear tyre - in 2 places. Glass, I suspect - there was a triangle of glass still embedded in the smaller hole. Anyway, one of the splits was big enough to warrant a new tyre, so I decided it was time for a Marathon Plus.

I'd only ever taken the back wheel off once before and had forgotten what a rigmarole it was (hub gears and roller brakes). From beginning to end just changing the tyre and tube took about 2 hours! Admittedly some of that time was taken up with searching on the net for the easiest way to do this (never did find anything useful), but even so that was a stupid amount of time. Oh well, it's the penalty for having a bike like that. If I had to do it again tomorrow I could probably get it down to about 15 mins, but, probably, by the time I have to do it again I'll have forgotten the procedure. I still think it's a great bike though.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2977 on: 02 February, 2011, 10:15:50 am »
If you've fitted Marathon Plus, you probably won't have to take the wheel out till the tyre is worn out.
Getting there...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2978 on: 02 February, 2011, 10:19:25 am »
That's what I'm hoping. My BikeE's got one on the back and it's never been off.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2979 on: 02 February, 2011, 02:18:50 pm »
I just gave my Alfine gears a tweak.  I think I had them setup wrong but now they are right.  We'll see when I'm riding home

Chris S

« Reply #2980 on: 02 February, 2011, 04:05:02 pm »
The Pompino has forgiven me. It is blue again, rather than a delicate shade of Skogg. Chain is no longer scrunchy.

« Reply #2981 on: 02 February, 2011, 10:03:39 pm »
Fresh brake blocks. Yikes, the bike is really mucky.

« Reply #2982 on: 02 February, 2011, 10:19:17 pm »
If you've fitted Marathon Plus, you probably won't have to take the wheel out till the tyre is worn out.
Didn't work for me on the EM fixed ride last Saturday >:(

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #2983 on: 03 February, 2011, 04:03:05 pm »
One of my neighbour's had an electric bike delivered today & I have just assembled it for him, fitted the forks, handlebars, seatpost & saddle, mudguards & lights, & 2 new inner tubes because the ones provided did not fit any type of pump I've ever seen  ???  He struggles to get up hills on a normal bike so he should now be able to get back again out for a few bike rides with his granddaughter :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #2984 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:15:25 pm »
An upstairs toilet that drains in under 5 minutes.  :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2985 on: 04 February, 2011, 10:20:46 am »
just done the roof racks on the Mondeo to carry a trike & a DF

coffee break now

next up,the backseat & boot(currently full with work-related stuff: transfer into the Volvo) to make room for passengers & luggage  DONE THAT

then a towball-mounted  Witter cycle carrier DONE THAT(to carry another DF & possibly a 'bent)

then transfer a pannier rack from the Longstaff to the Langster so that I can use a Carradice Prima racktop bag to carry cake,food,lights etc  on tomorrow's ride. DONE THAT

It's all go innit?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2986 on: 04 February, 2011, 11:56:39 am »

coffee break now

next up,the backseat & boot(currently full with work-related stuff: transfer into the Volvo) to make room for passengers & luggage  DONE THAT

then a towball-mounted  Witter cycle carrier DONE THAT(to carry another DF & possibly a 'bent)

then transfer a pannier rack from the Longstaff to the Langster so that I can use a Carradice Prima racktop bag to carry cake,food,lights etc  on tomorrow's ride. DONE THAT

It's all go done innit?

& now I've just noticed that the pointy bit atop the caravan ariel is through the roof of the caravan cover ::-)  I think I'll secure a tennis ball on the pointed mast & relocate the cover.An application of gaffer tape will patch the hole in the cover,I hope.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2987 on: 04 February, 2011, 01:27:54 pm »
I fettled a scratch out of the screen of my ye olde worlde Nokia 5140i, then a applied a nice coat of Pledge Multi-Surface wax to make it look good as new!  :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2988 on: 04 February, 2011, 06:30:32 pm »
15 laptops imaged, and a new AV installation done and deployed to clients, plus a few other bits and bobs.  Engineer on site all day, and a lovely chap he was too.  Rides a Trek Madone :)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2989 on: 05 February, 2011, 01:45:44 am »
Think I shall strip and soak bits of the midget bike as no one seems to want it any more.  Unloved again.

« Reply #2990 on: 05 February, 2011, 08:34:22 pm »
New trigger shifter and cabling for rear derailleur on the Marin, plus set-up.
Brake levers and new inner cables on the fixed, including trimming and filing the outers. I'll leave the bar tape for tomorrow evening, I think.

« Reply #2991 on: 05 February, 2011, 08:41:51 pm »
Been messing about tightening forks, prolly tightened bearings too much now cos forks wont fall one way or the other. I am beginning to have a horrible feeling that steerer is a bit bent.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2992 on: 06 February, 2011, 06:22:41 am »
Yesterday I oiled my old leather jacket with neatsfoot oil.  It is currently hanging in the garage to let the "biker smell" dissipate, but it looks good.

(incidentally this is true, and not related to Gideon over there on the left)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2993 on: 06 February, 2011, 06:41:50 am »
Got someone coming to view our Madsen, so gave it a wipedown, an checked everything was adjusted, then fixed two punctures. Thats 4 for the week in our house, 3 being on my tourer. Loads of tread on the tyres, so guessing its a run of bad luck.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2994 on: 06 February, 2011, 11:21:50 am »

coffee break now

then transfer a pannier rack from the Longstaff to the Langster so that I can use a Carradice Prima racktop bag to carry cake,food,lights etc  on tomorrow's ride. DONE THAT

It's all go innit?

I have reverse-fettled Volvo/Mondeo stuff

« Reply #2995 on: 06 February, 2011, 05:27:29 pm »
Turned this Raleigh Pursuit (obtained from Toby of this parish)

Into this

Removed the downtube shifters and gear mechs.
Built a fixed wheel on an old Alex Rim (from my old singlecross) using an on-one hub. The rim is black, the brightness in the photo is the Marathon tyre's reflective strip in the camera flash.
Modified the dropout on the RH side to allow the wheel to have a bit more adjustment F-R.
Removed the excess chainring.
Stripped, cleaned and regreased the front hub and (old style) bottom bracket.
Fitted new chain.
Replaced the pedals with some old Time ATACs.
Cut down the front mudguard stays to make it fit without big bends in the stays.
Replaced the saddle with the one that came on my MTB that's been kicking around the garage for years.
Replaced the brake cables with black rather than bright yellow outers.
Put new bar tape on.

Amazingly, the chainline was absolutely perfect without doing any fiddling with BB lengths!

Still to do - replace the mudguards altogether with the black SKS guards off my Audax MK3 (they are getting a bit tired now, so I'll put new ones on the Audax bike). Replace the chainset with a nicer one from the spares box.

Took it out for a quick spin this afternoon - lovely  :thumbsup:
This is low-end Raleigh, but I always fancied one thinking the stealth black looked cool. It'll make a nice hack bike.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2996 on: 06 February, 2011, 06:06:54 pm »
Nice, very nice.

Fettled the skip find (Raliegh Rapide) so removed seized chain, has seized cranks with very worn teeth so  have to decide what to do with it.  Maybe another hack?  Hopefully the frame will fit me.

Have washed a few greasey items by soaking in warm water and pink degreaseant that way they can go either back on bikes I have dismantled to fettle or in to the spares box.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2997 on: 06 February, 2011, 06:56:18 pm »
The garden. Sadly neglected for various reasons for over a year. Several bags to the garden waste tip later it looks much better. Just need to work on the lawn moss next.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2998 on: 06 February, 2011, 07:45:46 pm »
Unpacked two bikes from their S&S cases. Looks like a replacement Octolink BB will be ordered soon, along with some SPD pedals.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2999 on: 06 February, 2011, 07:49:03 pm »
It'll make a nice hack bike

Certainly will, very nice.

Me: Brooks bar tape. Very pleased with the end result, but not one of my favourite jobs. Considering how much the stuff is, an extra 10 cm per side surely wouldn't send them into the red.