Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2206163 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #3075 on: 21 February, 2011, 07:43:16 pm »
Following the Great Hub Gear breaking as reported here, I unmantled the borked hub. As it was jammed to buggery I had to apply an amount of percussive maintenance to separate the planet gear carrier from the spindle. Closer inspection revealed 5 teeth broken off the sun gear, the remains of which were the jamming everything together. One of the planets has a bust tooth as well. 

I have a suitable spare hub for cannibalisation, but no circlip pliers, so furthe progress will have to wait until tomorrow when I can blag a pair from work.

I never cease to be amazed by the simplicity of  a three speed hub gear.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3076 on: 22 February, 2011, 02:11:00 pm »
HK's MTB now has mudguards, a rack, new seat-post, saddle from her work bike and new brake pads, brake cables and grips. Just need to sort out rim tapes and a front wheel and tyre to finish it off.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3077 on: 22 February, 2011, 02:44:53 pm »
In readiness for this weekend's sceduled 200km audax I have prepped the Trek by refitting from other bikes....
a Bagman Q.R. Expedition
a Carradice Barley
a Topeak bar extender
a Polaris maptrap
pumped up the tyres(partially deflated due to lack of use  :-[ )

just need to prep. myself now :-\

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3078 on: 22 February, 2011, 11:26:46 pm »
Tyres. Lots of tyres.

Took the studded tyres off the work bike, mainly due to a distinct lack of snow, and refitted the Panaracer RibMos. Given that getting these tyres onto Shimano factory rims requires thumbs of steel and a good vocabulary of curse words, I'm pleased to report that there were 100% fewer demolished tyre levers (and thumbs) than the last time I did this.

Also solved the seatpost-related (non)issue on my new tourer, but that's another story entirely.

« Reply #3079 on: 23 February, 2011, 03:44:34 pm »
In readiness for this weekend's sceduled 200km audax I have prepped the Trek by refitting from other bikes....
a Bagman Q.R. Expedition
a Carradice Barley
a Topeak bar extender
a Polaris maptrap
pumped up the tyres(partially deflated due to lack of use  :-[ )

just need to prep. myself now :-\

Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Today, I've dug around in the attic and sorted out some bits for to sell.

I've also rescued the SS MTB from its gradual reversion to rust in the yard (I haven't touched it since December).  Chain cleaned and oiled, chainring bolts re-tightened, brakes fettled and broken spoke replaced. 

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3080 on: 23 February, 2011, 03:46:16 pm »
Added another bottle cage to the Trek

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3081 on: 23 February, 2011, 06:50:38 pm »
While running testdisk on my flaptop, so I can re-create yet again the MBR on my external drive, I noticed my lap was getting v. hot. And then the laptop shut down.

Armed with a teeny crosshead screwdriver and an Opinel No. 7, I opened it up,jibbled (thank you Kim) the fan, cleaned accumulated gunk out of the airways and reassembled.

Downloaded a temperature monitor doofus.

Rebooted. Fan works. Temp stays normal. Trowsis do not get burnt.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3082 on: 23 February, 2011, 09:43:01 pm »
Nothing.  I went for a bike ride instead.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3083 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:18:51 pm »
Just swapped the Marathon Plus on my Ridgebacks for Durano Plus.  They are tight.  But they look good. :thumbsup:

And I came home via OldBikeTrader, so I've got some bits to repair the cable run.  That might be tomorrow night.  Fettling is very painful right now, but satisfying.
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3084 on: 23 February, 2011, 11:22:24 pm »
Fixed Morag's bike so the brakes don't stay jammed on. Just needed some lube working into the pivots.

She should be out for the knapp run tomorrow.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

simonp

« Reply #3085 on: 24 February, 2011, 01:17:38 am »
Fixed the slow running sink drain in my kitchen. Waste trap was clear. Investigated further on and found the 90 deg bend dropping from the trap was clogged with debris.

Why was it clogged? Because the inside surface of the bend has come away creating a ledge inside the pipe to trap stuff!

Also noted that the pipe out of the bend had been cut very shoddily; by a drunk monkey by the look of it. Aka the plumber who installed my boiler. Fucking cowboys.  >:(

So I need to replace that bend. And note to self: if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3086 on: 24 February, 2011, 01:20:56 am »
The bathroom, fettled into a state of cleanliness.

I'm still contemplating the kitchen....

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3087 on: 24 February, 2011, 01:30:05 am »
you don't sleep much do you CL

CrinklyLion

« Reply #3088 on: 24 February, 2011, 01:36:42 am »
I can fall sleep pretty much anytime.  And pretty much anywhere.  And there isn't enough sleep in the world for me - I could (and at various points in the past not infrequently have) sleep for 12 hours a day quite happily.

But I rarely sleep enough.  I suspect it's a habit I've picked up from my mum (she's always a bit last minute about stuff too).  Plus I benefit hugely from a bit of time in the day with nobody around me, which in the school holidays in particular doesn't happen until everyone else has gone to bed.  And of course the kitchen still needs cleaning....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3089 on: 24 February, 2011, 01:41:57 am »
Sleep is what mornings are for.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #3090 on: 24 February, 2011, 01:46:26 am »
It must be said that weekend/holiday mornings have vastly improved since the SmallestCub got big enough to get himself up and to the the loo unaided, and the EldestCub got big enough to make breakfast for them both.

« Reply #3091 on: 24 February, 2011, 09:10:43 pm »
In the middle of an uber-fettling session, I'm currently taking a beer break.

So far today, I've replaced the rear bearings on the SS MTB, after even earphones failed to drown out the horrible grinding noise coming from that direction.  It was a mess inside there, but now all smoo-oth.  Must sort out the front wheel sometime too, since they're of an age.

I also modified the chain tensioner a tad, but it's proving more hassle than it's worth, and since I reckon I have enough stuff, I'll probably put some gears on there.

That done, I set about solving the Mystery of the Grinding Noise on my Dave Yates.  Replacing the rear hub bearings a couple of weeks ago hadn't solved it, nor had slackening the chain.  Thankfully, a new chain has done the trick, so we once again have silent running.

Then, I set about the tourer.  Cleaned the chain, swapped the cassette, changed the rear tyre, tried to service the rear hub bearings, but I need a more substantial cone spanner.  Took off the cranks and out the BB, packed them with copaslip and replaced them, then re-indexed the gears and changed the rear tyre.  Next, the front end.

Once I've done that, I've my nephew's bike to repair.  After a once-over, the main issues are a shattered non-drive side BB cup, a broken rear rim, a stretched, rusty chain, serious signs of corrosion around the fork crown.  I might have to teach him the merits of preventive maintenance :-\

« Reply #3092 on: 24 February, 2011, 09:58:38 pm »
I have a very shiny chain on a very dirty bike.

Spin-tastic.

(Turned out I'm not quite as incompetant as it appeared yesterday)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3093 on: 24 February, 2011, 10:16:19 pm »
Yesterday, I made a trek out to SE London to get a couple of little Sturmey Archer bits.

Tonight I fitted them, and now my fixed is all luvly and luvly again :D

Had a ride round town, and feel like I might be able to ride to work tomorrow.
Getting there...

« Reply #3094 on: 24 February, 2011, 10:20:40 pm »
I unstressed a wheel that I tensioned on Tuesday and laced on Sunday.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #3095 on: 24 February, 2011, 10:35:26 pm »
I got the bike computer out of the packaging. And decided I just couldn't be arsed, and  would rather watch Gray's Anatomy dvds.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3096 on: 24 February, 2011, 10:38:08 pm »
Sorted that bottom bracket out, and put all my tools away.  And hoovered the stairs (which, some of you may recall, was re-classified as "dangerous use of power tools" after a hair entanglement incident, and therefore counts as fettling rather than housework).

corshamjim

« Reply #3097 on: 24 February, 2011, 10:39:12 pm »
I sprayed lots of TF2 on the chain of my Dahon to mask the squeaky sound.  I should really replace it - I have a new chain so that's a job for Saturday.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3098 on: 24 February, 2011, 10:41:44 pm »
Sturmey-Archer toggle chains, plus assorted other bits of faffing around with canned gears.

As a result, my Dave Yates now has three properly functioning gears rather than 2 + 'floating neutral', and my Marin can now shift between 4th and 5th without making terrifying graunching noises (combination of slack cable and muck in the cassette joint)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3099 on: 24 February, 2011, 10:42:22 pm »
I got the bike computer out of the packaging. And decided I just couldn't be arsed, and  would rather watch Gray's Anatomy dvds.

Does this mean that at some point in future arsedness will return and the spoke magnet will have gone AWOL?

Actually, Gray's Anatomy and bike computers have a lot in common.  They're both a lot less interesting to watch than you expect them to be, and prone to exciting unexplained developments when you're not paying attention...