Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2194347 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #3125 on: 27 February, 2011, 05:31:20 pm »
A good day!!
Bathroom basin fitted, plumbed in, found the bits i'd lost yesterday and all working!
New battery cover for digi camera arrived yesterday, fitted today. All working like new.
I'm not touch another thing today. Weekend luck quota now exhausted.

« Reply #3126 on: 27 February, 2011, 06:11:22 pm »
Fitted a replacement headlamp bulb in the Mondeo.A classic example of how not to design something.
Remove radiator grille :o
Remove complete light assembly from vehicle ::-)
Remove rear panel from light assembly :facepalm:

gives access to bulbs

reverse the process
in the rain
FFS Ford,get a grip >:(

Rover 75 Headlight bulb, (dip beam, the one that is used all the time so actually needs replacing.)

Do not open bonnet.

Turn steering to full lock, turning away from side with failed bulb.

Undo fastner, no tools needed, on front surface of wheel arch, and remove access plate.

Remove rubber cover on back of light unit.

Pull off connector from bulb.

Release clip and remove bulb.

Admittedly, you get your hands dirty, and most of the procedure is done by feel, but it's well under 5 mins and no tools needed. It just shows they can get it right if they want to.

And on the same car, changing the handbrake cable start with removing radio!
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #3127 on: 27 February, 2011, 06:29:22 pm »
Took apart two cotter pinned cranks with no problem, the third decided to  just round the threaded bits.
That was your mistake. You're only supposed to fit two cranks to each bike.

Now how to get the pins out?
Drill them (carefully).

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #3128 on: 27 February, 2011, 07:16:37 pm »
Can you carry luggage on that there September or does it bend?

I can carry luggage :)
The bagman fits so I have a Barley on the back now, and it does have rack mounts at the back. I didn't buy this bike for touring though, I would use it for lightweight credit card touring only probably!
My Sabbath has carried a Camper Longflap stuffed with kit enough for a weeks camping. (I will admit I travel light, but still a decent load).  It has also hauled a trailer (albeit only a lightly loaded one).  It coped fine.  I hope you have as much fun on yours as I have had in the last two years.

« Reply #3129 on: 27 February, 2011, 07:54:50 pm »
Can you carry luggage on that there September or does it bend?

I can carry luggage :)
The bagman fits so I have a Barley on the back now, and it does have rack mounts at the back. I didn't buy this bike for touring though, I would use it for lightweight credit card touring only probably!
My Sabbath has carried a Camper Longflap stuffed with kit enough for a weeks camping. (I will admit I travel light, but still a decent load).  It has also hauled a trailer (albeit only a lightly loaded one).  It coped fine.  I hope you have as much fun on yours as I have had in the last two years.

Thanks Jane, that's very good to know! Once I have done PBP I may well consider taking my September on holiday around the UK :)
Did you buy the bigger support for your longflap or was it OK on the standard Bagman? I might well buy one of those 1kg tents for super-lightweight camping.

« Reply #3130 on: 27 February, 2011, 08:03:45 pm »
Not sure if it counts as fettling but chopped up a huge quantity of waste wood into log burner sized chunks using the sliding mitre saw I bought yesterday. It even has a laser ! Top fun.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3131 on: 28 February, 2011, 08:54:20 pm »
Succeeded in getting a PIC to talk to the 1-wire bus via a DS2408.  I can now instruct LEDs to blink on and off in complicated sequences from the comfort of my terminal window.  Next job is to dig up my notes from 2004 and cobble together a PCB design, then an altogether more reliable (not to mention versatile) alerting system will be a Small Matter Of Programming.   :thumbsup:

Which will mean I'll be able to get to work on building version 2 of my highly efficient dynamo charger, with added magic smoke retention circuit...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3132 on: 01 March, 2011, 11:37:29 am »
I'm assuming that that ^^^^ make sense....

I have cleaned the remainder of the Yorkshire Wolds landscape off my bike, and taken her to the corner shop.  I had to clean her first, she was embarassingly filthy.  They are going to do disc-brake-magic, hopefully.  And wield a pedal spanner (which, together with a workstand, I don't currently have access to) to clean and grease the pedal threads because the funny click is back.  And possibly fit some new tyres.  I decided to stick with the cheap and cheerful bontrager racelite hardcases - they've lasted a year, probably somewhere between 3annahalf and 4 thousand miles and I've had 2 visitations.  I have said that if they agree that they need replacing that I think I should swap the 32s for 28s because the mudguard clearance is a bit tight.

« Reply #3133 on: 01 March, 2011, 06:04:24 pm »
I've fitted a rear light to new bike and pumped the tyres up in preparation for tomorrow's ride to Haslingden and Accrington. If I decide to take it.
There will be hills but there will also be some tracks.
I've also put some hot-melt adhesive into the cleat bolts on my shoes (thanks Kim  :thumbsup: ).

« Reply #3134 on: 01 March, 2011, 11:24:45 pm »
In the middle of an uber-fettling session, I'm currently taking a beer break.

So far today, I've replaced the rear bearings on the SS MTB, after even earphones failed to drown out the horrible grinding noise coming from that direction.  It was a mess inside there, but now all smoo-oth.  Must sort out the front wheel sometime too, since they're of an age.

I also modified the chain tensioner a tad, but it's proving more hassle than it's worth, and since I reckon I have enough stuff, I'll probably put some gears on there.

That done, I set about solving the Mystery of the Grinding Noise on my Dave Yates.  Replacing the rear hub bearings a couple of weeks ago hadn't solved it, nor had slackening the chain.  Thankfully, a new chain has done the trick, so we once again have silent running.

Then, I set about the tourer.  Cleaned the chain, swapped the cassette, changed the rear tyre, tried to service the rear hub bearings, but I need a more substantial cone spanner.  Took off the cranks and out the BB, packed them with copaslip and replaced them, then re-indexed the gears and changed the rear tyre.  Next, the front end.

Once I've done that, I've my nephew's bike to repair.  After a once-over, the main issues are a shattered non-drive side BB cup, a broken rear rim, a stretched, rusty chain, serious signs of corrosion around the fork crown.  I might have to teach him the merits of preventive maintenance :-\

Tourer now dealt with - stem removed, slight corrosion wet 'n' dried off, repacked in copaslip and replaced.  Same with the seatpost.  Headset re-greased.  Front mech... well, looked at.  It seems a bit stiff, so I sprayed some WD40 around the pivots and worked it in a bit.  Really, it was only finding the top cog that was an issue, and a 52-tooth big ring is probably a bit unnecessary on a touring bike, and it sees very little use, except when chasing down ferry timetables and shortening the time spent on busy A-roads.

Finally, I replaced the front tyre (1.25" Paselas rather than 1.6" Marathon XRs, for road and audaxing purposes) and fine-tuned the brakes for evil stopping power.  Job jobbed.

I still have the nephew's bike to deal with  :-\

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3135 on: 02 March, 2011, 11:19:16 am »
Only fettling I did last night was to measure the chain wear on my fixed.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3136 on: 02 March, 2011, 11:22:58 am »
charged batteries and lights ready for another night ride tonight (did 20 miles last night, got back as lights severly dimming)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3137 on: 02 March, 2011, 11:31:28 am »
Cleaned my bike of Saturday's mud, repaired or tossed four tubes and fitted windy-provided limit screws to HK's MTB, along with new grips. Just need to sort out a front wheel, rear rim tape, pedals and possibly some brake levers and it's a goer.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3138 on: 02 March, 2011, 12:06:50 pm »
My bike ride reporting script to report my Eddington number. (almost, see below)

Via a simplistic, but O(n^2) :-[ SQL query... it's quick enough for now though (i.e. instantaneous)

Code: [Select]
echo "<table class=\"stats\">"

sqlite3 -html bike.sq3 <<EOF
select cast (t.distance as integer) as eddington_number from times t
where cast (t.distance as integer)<=(select count(x.distance) from times x where x.distance>=cast (t.distance as integer))
order by -t.distance limit 1;
EOF
echo "</table>"

running through the ordered query, maintaining the cumulative count outside of SQL qould be more elegant, I guess, but ICBA for now.

I also define my number based on single rides, not miles per day... although a single ride might have a (potentially long) break in it, so the distinction's not that absolute.  It does mean that some days where I did two distinct rides of e.g. 20 miles,  count (twice) into my "20" or more bucket, but not at all into my "40 or more" bucket (which the day-based definition on the wikipedia page would imply).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #3139 on: 02 March, 2011, 06:44:06 pm »
A roadside fettle no less to reconnect the front mech cable.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #3140 on: 02 March, 2011, 06:49:14 pm »
On Sunday I serviced the commuter. Thorough clean, new cables (inner and outer) new pads on rear brakes, thorough lube, measured chain wear, and according to my Park Tools chain wear measurer it's now complete!! 
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3141 on: 02 March, 2011, 09:52:15 pm »
Only fettling I did last night was to measure the chain wear on my fixed.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Well, with the help of the junior mechanic, I got the chain changed, geartrain cleaned and everything readjusted, and it's running a lot better, but still isn't quite right in bottom gear, which is a shame. 

Nice bike tho :)
Getting there...

« Reply #3142 on: 03 March, 2011, 02:55:10 pm »
I've just finished making this sail for my sit on top kayak

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #3143 on: 03 March, 2011, 05:07:25 pm »
What do you get if you cross a Mirror dinghy with a giant banana?     ;D ;D ;D

This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #3144 on: 03 March, 2011, 05:14:34 pm »
Er, the wheels seem to have fallen off.....

« Reply #3145 on: 03 March, 2011, 05:25:07 pm »
Not really a fettle, more of a fiddle.
I tried the dyno hub wheel from the MTB on the new bike to see if it would fit. It did  :thumbsup: despite the 35mm tyre (25mm on new bike) and there would be room to spare for a guard.
OK, it points to too much clearance for a fast bike, but I quite like the versatility and it would save me having to get a new dyno-wheel if I wanted to do long night rides.

« Reply #3146 on: 03 March, 2011, 05:57:20 pm »
F2H and I built up his new Enigma Etape:

Very nice it is too - beefy titanium frame, Campag Centaur / Comp Triple groupset, Open Pro rims on a record rear hub and Son front.

« Reply #3147 on: 03 March, 2011, 05:59:40 pm »
F2H and I built up his new Enigma Etape:

Very nice it is too - beefy titanium frame, Campag Centaur / Comp Triple groupset, Open Pro rims on a record rear hub and Son front.

That is very very nice! It doesn't look totally unlike my new bike, especially on that road and that stand  ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3148 on: 03 March, 2011, 06:01:27 pm »
Those titi Enigma's look like sexonabike.
I wonder if I sold all my other bikes & had one of them if it could satisfy all my cycling needs :-\

« Reply #3149 on: 03 March, 2011, 06:03:19 pm »
I successfully tightened up my gear cables now they have had a bit of use, and it is all shifting perfectly ready for the Gospel Pass on Saturday  :thumbsup:
I also fitted a Garmin cadence sensor to the new bike last night. I discovered that on my smallest gear I can do a cadence of 70 up a steep hill and do only 3mph! I am not sure I would ever need a lower gear than this even with a load.