Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2205353 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #4950 on: 29 January, 2012, 12:20:47 pm »
A fettle fail.
I attempted to fit a Klik Fix bracket to the Langster but the bar diameter is too big.I'll not be using an Ortlieb bar bag on this bike untill I've acquired an Ortlieb bar bracket:which is frustrating because the Klik Fix braket works with the Ortlieb bar bag.

I have a spare Ortlieb one of them if you want it. There is an oversized bar version of the Klik Fix too.

« Reply #4951 on: 29 January, 2012, 08:00:55 pm »
Pictures onto walls
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #4952 on: 29 January, 2012, 08:09:37 pm »
Scheduled for fettling tomorrow: the rack on my Etape. I've finally found out what's causing the little squeak on bumpy roads, & that's it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4953 on: 29 January, 2012, 08:52:22 pm »
Tweaked HK's Condor (wheels, gears, lowered bars slightly) and shortly to tackle various Brompton bits. My Frezoni can wait for another night.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4954 on: 30 January, 2012, 01:18:35 pm »
Ugraded broadband contract, with Our_Favourite_Telco, such that I no longer get charged for exceeding my "so tiny it is risible" download limit. 

At least the person on the phone didn't seem to be an utter plank and the process was relatively painless.  Let's see if they get it right, eh?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4955 on: 30 January, 2012, 04:48:34 pm »
My trusty Sennheiser HD25SP headphones, which are about 16 years old and have suffered all manner of abuse, including various drops and cable-yankages, being rained on and made to monitor numerous acts of frankly dire live music.  In that time they've had a new cable and a new set of ear pads, but I appear to have warded off a Trigger's Broom situation by precision re-bending of the spring contacts on the drivers (and some precision wire-wrap-wire-fu to repair the insanely delicate magnet wire when I inevitably broke it while working out how to open the first one up), thus curing the intermittent connection on both sides.

They appeared to have fared better than my hearing  :-\

« Reply #4956 on: 30 January, 2012, 07:32:12 pm »
The RH Sora STI on my Bianchi.

Finally, today, following around 30 (I dunno - I've lost count) assemblies and dis-assemblies of the mechanism, (Shimano's online exploded view is woefully inadequate for anything more than removing the lever from the hood, and the only other online information available doesn't cover full re-assembly) I managed to restore the lever to working exactly as Shimano had intended (In fact, probably better, as I replaced some of the shot bearings within - which weren't even mentioned in Instructibles -  with higher grade ones from RS).

Which is good, because it means the Bianchi can become a loaner to my friend who had her Fratello nicked last week until her insurance coughs.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4957 on: 30 January, 2012, 10:57:12 pm »
Replaced the MTB chain. The new one was exactly the right length so I just had to remove the open outer plates to use a quick link instead of the breakable shimano pin nonsense.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4958 on: 30 January, 2012, 11:41:19 pm »
Put a new 7sp cassette and spacer on my old tourer wheels so that I could put them on my hybrid to replace the cheap freewheel wheels. Also fitted the snow studs as it looks like I'm going to need them
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4959 on: 31 January, 2012, 04:46:42 am »
Tri bars off the fixed.   Nelson and Bagman QR off too.  Super C on.  The new 105 cranks look really good as they are black and my stealth element has increased.  50 t x 19 now instead of 52 - yesterday the hills were just that little bit easier  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4960 on: 31 January, 2012, 01:05:49 pm »
I have just proofided my brand new Brooks in all it's nooks and crannies with a toothbrush. Just letting it sink in for a while before I polish it off and go for a ride on it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4961 on: 31 January, 2012, 01:09:39 pm »
Just remember which is which before you brush your teeth - or do they need proofiding too?  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4962 on: 31 January, 2012, 02:11:11 pm »
Trued a not-very-wonky trike wheel, for SCIENCE.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4963 on: 31 January, 2012, 05:14:21 pm »
At college on a Practical Habitat Management field trip:  unfettled some baby christmas Pine trees which were daring to grow in an area of sand dune.  Why?
Well, sand dunes are a rare habitat with good biodiversity and conservational potential - if left to it's own devices the baby christmas Pine trees would start to grow, eventually turning into a forest of christmas Pine trees. 

« Reply #4964 on: 31 January, 2012, 09:29:13 pm »
On the way home I stopped and moved a gas canister out of the tool bottle and put it into the side pocket of the Super C.
It was rattling and so fecking annoying.  >:(

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4965 on: 31 January, 2012, 09:30:34 pm »
I've also been unfettling a pine Christmas tree. Out of the window then removing metric gallons of needles from the floor and other surfaces. Some have knitted themselves into the carpet rather firmly. It was actually a spruce, I think.

Also fettled a new cassette onto my wheel, with the tools and help of Smurphboy. Derailleur tuning time tomorrow, and probably the day after as well.  :)

« Reply #4966 on: 31 January, 2012, 10:51:57 pm »
I've also been unfettling a pine Christmas tree. Out of the window then removing metric gallons of needles from the floor and other surfaces. Some have knitted themselves into the carpet rather firmly. It was actually a spruce, I think.

Also fettled a new cassette onto my wheel, with the tools and help of Smurphboy. Derailleur tuning time tomorrow, and probably the day after as well.  :)

Hmmm, derailleur shouldn't need fettling for a cassette swap. Ahhh, but you had a diff cassette, didn't you. Should have said, ive got a work stand you could have used!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4967 on: 31 January, 2012, 11:17:00 pm »
The other reason it needs fettling is cos I was twiddling it this way and that in a vain attempt to get it to work on the worn out cassette. Anyway, I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

« Reply #4968 on: 31 January, 2012, 11:28:09 pm »
Changed the worn out tyres on my Dawes Horizon to a pair of slicks -Vittoria Rubinos   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4969 on: 02 February, 2012, 01:23:50 am »
Checked the forecast for the next few days then fettled my winter tyres onto the Pompetamine:

Clearance behind the BB was fairly tight with the SKS guards so I moved the end of the guard to infront of the bridge rather than behind it and secured with a couple of zip ties. As bodges go it is pretty neat and secure ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4970 on: 02 February, 2012, 01:31:20 am »
I have what I'd describe as 'barely adequate' clearance for Winters on my hybrid (a fair bit more with the non-studded cyclocross tyres I use off-road, and positively silly amounts with normal 28mm Marathons).  Fine for a little bit of mud or slush, but it'll quickly jam up with proper fluffy snow.  I'm working on the principle that we're not going to get very much of that...

The great thing about studs is you really know if the mudguard is rubbing.   ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4971 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:25:51 am »
Replaced the tube in the front wheel of the InBred (it appeared to have a very slow puncture), turned the tyre around (easier said than done as it is a 700C Big Apple), cleaned the contacts on the dynamo and tightened loose bearings on the rear wheel.

Now just waiting for a delivery of a new rear wheel from MacB, then I'll swap over the cassette, disc and tyre.tube, hopefully ready for the ride tonight.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4972 on: 02 February, 2012, 03:02:26 pm »
My gears are now changing smoothly and swiftly and my chain is no longer skipping under load. Somehow the bike also feels lighter - I expect this is because I've taken a load of crap out of the pannier but I can always tell myself it's the increased efficiency of new chain and cassette.

LindaG

« Reply #4973 on: 02 February, 2012, 03:05:30 pm »
I cleaned my bike, in preparation for tonight.  And broke it.   >:(  FFS

There's a reason I leave its characterful patina as it is.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4974 on: 02 February, 2012, 04:07:18 pm »
I cleaned my bike, in preparation for tonight.  And broke it.   >:(  FFS

There's a reason I leave its characterful patina as it is.

:(

What's up with it?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!