Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2205662 times)

gordon taylor

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #5025 on: 14 February, 2012, 01:57:11 pm »
Bought new mudguards at 9am and fitted them to the tandem whilst it was hanging on the tailgate rack. We were riding on an old rail track at 10 am and I didn't want my stoker or the kid on the tag-a-long to get plastered.

It worked! But they now need adjusting properly.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5026 on: 14 February, 2012, 04:09:56 pm »
I can haz bike storage

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5027 on: 14 February, 2012, 04:15:29 pm »
...decided to fit the M+ before I went out.  Of course, it was a wrestling match, but I think I did ok. ;D

Spoke too soon.  I set off for work, had a fright from an artic, then stopped and noticed a bulge in the tyre near the valve, where the bead wasn't seated properly.

I went back home, calmed down after the incident, and tried to refit the tyre.  The problem was the thick rubber at the base of the valve stopping the bead sitting down into the rim.  I used the last of my brand new tubes, finding that the Specialized tube has a more flexible valve base.  Got it fitted, but I was late for work, so I rode to Croydon and took a train. :(
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5028 on: 14 February, 2012, 04:19:32 pm »
I can haz bike storage

what happened with the steel bike box?

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5029 on: 14 February, 2012, 04:22:12 pm »
Oh, I still need to clear the back yard properly and fit a ground anchor.  Then I will have bike storage capacity in excess of my bikes.  What a nightmare!

(I should also point out that the post above is a bit of a mild fib unless we are allowing fettling-by-proxy since it wasn't me wot did it)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5030 on: 14 February, 2012, 05:43:30 pm »
That, and who'd keep bikes outside in the cold when they could have them in the living room?   ;)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5031 on: 14 February, 2012, 10:57:36 pm »
I fitted a Goddam Fascist set of Cheap, deservedly s, Bir Yueh rider racks to the Thorn Sherpa.  Simples?
Took me half an hour to figure out that they will not fit to the fork braze ons for said items and that I had to resort to U bolts, Mole grips, Juior hacksaw and the sort of atitude and cussing that would even uset Kim! Got a ride though as I need to be calmer tomorrow when I hit the U bolts with the ANGUL GRYNDER!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5032 on: 15 February, 2012, 10:19:13 am »
Kim doesn't cuss.
Think boab
 ;D

« Reply #5033 on: 15 February, 2012, 10:12:39 pm »
I've just taken the Schwalbe winter tyres off the Pompetamine and refitted the 35mm normal ones. Also took off the chain ring with a view to fitting a 34t replacement, but On One have the wrong BCD listed on the bike's build spec and it looks like it is 130 BCD not 110 so I need to swap this new ring for a different one  :facepalm:

Refitted original chain ring to ride it tomorrow. On the up side I am getting faster and faster at changing this bike's tyres and getting the back wheel in and out past the disc and the hub cable. I also now have mad skillz at removing and replacing chain rings  :D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5034 on: 15 February, 2012, 10:38:54 pm »
I have made not one but two meccano vehicles. Genuine Polish meccano, in fact, made in China and fettled in Britain, but received as a pressie by Little Cudzo last week. So we did a bit of dune-buggy racing in the afternoon.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5035 on: 16 February, 2012, 02:57:03 pm »
Started attaching my new pedals, but couldn't get the old left one off. Right is fine, but left's seized solid. Yes, I do remember it's a l/h thread. Enlisted Friendly Builder (supplier of damp-proof membrane for mud flaps "Take as much as you want, the landlord's paid for it"!) as he, unlike me, has muscles. No go. Not surprising as I remember when trying to remove it for packing to ship it, FiL, who must definitely has Muscles, couldn't do it either. In fact we've (all three of us, I'm reckoning) ranted off the edges of the axle. So it's soaking with WD40 for a few hours till a pair of mole grips can hopefully do it. Well, they've been on there 13 years so whatever grease they were assembled with, if any, has probably all evaporated.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #5036 on: 16 February, 2012, 04:47:55 pm »
Fettling fail! Set out to fit new bottom bracket and chainset for super low gears on the Mercian (46/36/26 to 12-28). 110mm Stronglight J400 as recommended as the correct BB by Spa is way, way too short - outer ring is in line with the 3rd largest rear cog and the inner ring on the chainset fouls the chainstay. Humph! 115mm BB now ordered - anyone need said 110mm BB? No ride today 'cos I spent my time messing with this.

« Reply #5037 on: 16 February, 2012, 07:09:52 pm »
Washed the fixed.  Lubed the chain that was starting to take on a red tinge.  Tightened the rear cones.

« Reply #5038 on: 16 February, 2012, 08:03:43 pm »
When we took the load box off the Maximus to run it up for a service last week, one of the bolts failed to come out of the elastomer bung top plate, and instead sheared the plate away from the elastomer, and no amount of WD40 and me applying the socket and pliers, as well as a certain amount of percusive spanner action would shift it.

Today a stronger colleague gripped the plate with pliers, and I wielded the socket, and eventually it came loose. :)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #5039 on: 16 February, 2012, 08:27:00 pm »
Finally bitten the bullet and soldered the Tamiya battery connectors dreckly to the 4xAA battery holders - because the last one snapped off its PP3 connector.
All I need now is some Epoxy or potting compound to make it less Dalek and more Borg.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5040 on: 17 February, 2012, 10:09:46 pm »
Swapped Ice Spiker tyres off the Cyclone and fitted new rear wheel shod with Marathon Plus.

Swapped Marathon Winter for Pluses on my Orbit.  Replaced brake blocks. Cleaned.  Refitted guards.  Yet to adjust computer.

Freed off EBB on tandem and tensioned the timing chain.

Swapped brake blocks on my fixed.

That's probably it.
Getting there...

« Reply #5041 on: 18 February, 2012, 01:40:25 pm »
The coffee machine coffee holding thingie, the technical name of which eludes me. It was really clagged up internally, so I dug out the faux Dremmel and buffed it up. 2+ years of coffee remnants to be rid of. I made a cup after & can't say I noticed the difference, though the flow was faster. I made the same empty resolution as I did years ago to clean it out more often.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5042 on: 18 February, 2012, 02:13:36 pm »
Moved some spacers to above the stem on my MTB.

Assembled some Swedish flatpack (at least I didn't have to buy the stuff :))

Now about to remove old sealant from the shower.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5043 on: 18 February, 2012, 02:53:56 pm »
I built up an Alfine 11 wheel while HK fitted cleats to her new pair of shoes. Just about to de-creak my Frezoni, add some bits to a frame and rebuild an Ergopower lever. We'll see if I get to the tandem this weekend.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5044 on: 18 February, 2012, 05:32:05 pm »
Managed to access the motorbike battery and put the charger on it. I was pleasantly surprised to see it still had some charge after 3+ months lying idle.

Swapped the bars on the tandem, but ran out of steam when I realised the cables would be too short. Still have the kiddy cranks to fit to it. I suspect I will relinquish all that to the LBS.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #5045 on: 18 February, 2012, 05:40:31 pm »
Rebuilt my Pearson with the replacement frame following the broken dropout http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=55984.0.

A lot slower to put back together than strip down. 

Really a completely different frame (Taiwanese carbon rather than Italian carbon) but I think I am going to be happier with this one.  It has a proper headset not the mickey mouse glued-in job from before and the mudguard clearance at the back is fine for 28s without the need to resort to cable ties.

Only surprise is that the rear brake cable run is exposed with cable stops on the top tube, won't be able to velcro a battery pack on the top tube.

Biggest problem was that the gear cable stops on the down tube are further forward than before, necessitating a bit of rejigging and cutting, but the existing cables just fitted because I chose a smaller frame.

Did all the build using my turbo-trainer as a stand - my back hurts!  Time to look for a portable workstand maybe.

Will post a picture in the Gallery someday, so everyone can wonder at all the head set spacers :)

Hope to test ride tomorrow.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5046 on: 18 February, 2012, 06:10:59 pm »
Glad it's all back together.  That sounds like a happy ending to me. :)
Getting there...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5047 on: 18 February, 2012, 08:56:00 pm »
Some plastic 'n' paint 'n' glue:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7037/6898340593_182f7a0579_z.jpg    ;D

Tamiya scale model kits ftw!   :thumbsup:

and some words into a college essay. (boo)

« Reply #5048 on: 19 February, 2012, 04:58:18 pm »
Does partially dismantling an MR2 count as fettling?  Well anyway, that's what MFWHTBAB and I have done this afternoon. 

This morning, we cleared the hallway out.  :thumbsup:

So that we could fit the tractor in it....  ;D
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #5049 on: 19 February, 2012, 05:18:14 pm »
A replacement spoke on the drive side of an Alfine 8 speed. Which led, as these things are wont to do, to a new gear inner. The orange outer had filled up with water, and the inner was rusting in place.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip