Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2206225 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12225 on: 01 July, 2017, 09:34:52 pm »
The USB-werk, werked.  I think what happened before was that I had the garmin mount facing downwards, and knocked the connector with my belly.  The M5 is quite tight in the cockpit area with hamster bars pretty close to you. 

just now, laid my gym floor, finally.  4 sheets of 8 x 2 chipboard with 2 sheets of 8 x 4 ply in the other direction on top. 

That 8x4x22mm ply is 'ckin heavy.

Also repalced the tube in my son's pushchair wheel, 16" plastic spoked rim.  That is by far the hardest tyre/rim combo I've had - much sweating and bad words.  Next time it goes to the LBS
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12226 on: 01 July, 2017, 10:09:22 pm »
New rear tyre on HK's Moulton and topped off the front. Regreased the front suspension and promptly lost a necessary washer, with resultant swearing. I'll have to get a new one on Monday.

Dismantled my Moulton's dynowheel to send the Son hub off for new bearings. I'll have to source new spokes to build up the replacement Sondelux hub.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12227 on: 02 July, 2017, 10:01:34 am »
Also repalced the tube in my son's pushchair wheel, 16" plastic spoked rim.  That is by far the hardest tyre/rim combo I've had - much sweating and bad words.  Next time it goes to the LBS
I feel your pain. That is exactly my experience too. Flat tyre (possibly on an 8" wheel) was the hardest tyre change I have ever faced. Took me bloomin' ages.
Rust never sleeps

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12228 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:26:18 am »
Fitted a replacement suspension washer last night and promptly found that the grub screw in one of my Moulton's cable splitters was seized (broke a gear cable during Sunday's 200). Time to buy a new cable splitter before tomorrow's trains to the Loire valley.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

fuzzy

« Reply #12229 on: 05 July, 2017, 12:36:00 pm »
Yesterday saw me undertake my first weekday as a full time bike bloke. I have been appointed 'Front of House' for the workshop- booking bikes in, taking phone calls, making phone calls, PDI's, ordering stock and consumables (spending someone else money on bike stuff FTW :thumbsup: ) etc.

I fettled 2 PDI's including a recalcitrant kids bike whose gears were truly fucked up for a while, a several of punctures and spent about £300 0f the shops money on stuff.

Is fuzzy an happy teddy bear?

:smug:

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12230 on: 05 July, 2017, 12:45:52 pm »
you lucky sod :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #12231 on: 05 July, 2017, 03:38:39 pm »
Put a new belt on the washing machine with a Park tyre lever as it was bloody tight. When twanged it's a very high note.  No tyre lever, no washing machine.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12232 on: 05 July, 2017, 08:41:06 pm »
Yesterday saw me undertake my first weekday as a full time bike bloke. I have been appointed 'Front of House' for the workshop- booking bikes in, taking phone calls, making phone calls, PDI's, ordering stock and consumables (spending someone else money on bike stuff FTW :thumbsup: ) etc.

I fettled 2 PDI's including a recalcitrant kids bike whose gears were truly fucked up for a while, a several of punctures and spent about £300 0f the shops money on stuff.

Does this mean you don't have to clean pools and wheecht jobbies any more?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12233 on: 05 July, 2017, 10:15:41 pm »
Refitted the new chain to my Dave Yates. Why refitted? Because, gentle reader, when I fitted the first time, last week, it made a noise as of an thousand cats being tortured when I put anything more than moderate force on the pedals.  Close examination of the sprocket revealed it to be Shagged Beyond Redemption, so I dropped a few quid on a new one, wot arrived today.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #12234 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:48:46 am »
Put a new belt on the washing machine with a Park tyre lever as it was bloody tight. When twanged it's a very high note.  No tyre lever, no washing machine.

Assuming you have the right belt, then the way to do this is not with a lever or indeed any tool.

You need to rotate it on, much the same as picking up a dropped chain onto a chainring using the front mech.

Put the belt round the motor pulley, then get it as much started onto the drum pulley as you can by hand.
Then, rotate the drum by hand to roll the belt up onto the pulley.
The diameter of the drum is large enough that you can generate a lot of leverage.

Another approach that can work ( depending on what you can get access to ) is to use a ratchet-strap.
Wrap it around the outer drum housing and around the motor body, and ratchet it up to pivot the motor on it's pivot towards the drum.
You are working against a very powerful spring on the motor pivot, but the ratchet strap will compress the spring enough to allow you to get the belt on.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12235 on: 07 July, 2017, 04:55:12 pm »
Have sorted out a new building board.  Cork bath mat on a 1/2" laminated pine sheet.  Would have liked something bigger, but this will do for the two kits I have on the shelf as well as the scratch build I have in mind.   The pine sheet is big enough that if I can get a larger and thick enough piece of cork, the mat I bought today is a good 3/8" or more thick, it's almost certainly going to be good enough for anything I'm likely to build.   I could perhaps use two bath mats, but that risks a discontinuity in the flatness of the building surface and all the problems that an out of true build gives rise to.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12236 on: 07 July, 2017, 10:58:27 pm »

living the dream :thumbsup:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12237 on: 08 July, 2017, 03:56:18 pm »
After various iterations over the years I have now probably created the cycling tools board that does it all for the foreseeable future . . . currently pondering whether to draw round each tool with a black marker to make sure I can see what's out, and where everything goes  :thumbsup:

The bench mounted workstand is for casual use, there's a more substantial stand for ... err, more substantial work.  The ultra-sonic bath cleaner is behind the vice on the right and the cheapie roasting tin on the bench is for de-greasing stuff.  Note the "toilet roll holder" for the roll of blue wipe paper!

.... there must be better things to do with my time  ::-)

Rob

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12238 on: 08 July, 2017, 09:02:28 pm »
Oh... I've come over all unnecessary!  :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #12239 on: 08 July, 2017, 10:44:47 pm »

No more responding to "Attention facilities team- code brown in the hydro pool- code brown in the hydro pool!" or standing over the pit of doom with a crap covered float switch in my hand waiting for 20,000 gallons of sewage to pump away.

fuzzy

« Reply #12240 on: 08 July, 2017, 10:45:26 pm »

living the dream :thumbsup:
Yes indeedie!

fuzzy

« Reply #12241 on: 08 July, 2017, 10:46:13 pm »
After various iterations over the years I have now probably created the cycling tools board that does it all for the foreseeable future . . . currently pondering whether to draw round each tool with a black marker to make sure I can see what's out, and where everything goes  :thumbsup:

The bench mounted workstand is for casual use, there's a more substantial stand for ... err, more substantial work.  The ultra-sonic bath cleaner is behind the vice on the right and the cheapie roasting tin on the bench is for de-greasing stuff.  Note the "toilet roll holder" for the roll of blue wipe paper!

Rob

I say Rob! can you come and fettle my new office?

fuzzy

« Reply #12242 on: 08 July, 2017, 10:47:38 pm »
Todays fettle included busting my cherry on Brompton PDI duties.

There is something quite special about unpacking a factory fresh Brommie.

« Reply #12243 on: 08 July, 2017, 10:58:14 pm »

Rob
Mmmmmmm.
Choice. Very nicely executed.
I can think of one or two (myself included) on this forum who would salivate at teh sight of that.

ETA - You need more 13amp sockets.
Or access to compressed air.....
Or both...

« Reply #12244 on: 08 July, 2017, 11:20:16 pm »

Rob

Oh. Oh, my.

I'd vote for outlining tools - makes it much easier to spot missing ones. The only downside is it's more faff to rearrange, but you appear to be well-stocked enough that you don't need to make big changes...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #12245 on: 08 July, 2017, 11:46:40 pm »

;)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12246 on: 09 July, 2017, 10:54:56 am »
After various iterations over the years I have now probably created the cycling tools board ...

<snip>

Rob
Corrr!  Even MrsLurker says she likes that.

The reason I dropped by, mainly for AndyTheFlyer's,  ElyDave's and Ham's (heh heh heh) benefit.  Started on the Sopwith kit yesterday.  Work in Progress.  About 5 hours effort, ignoring "workshop" set up / tear down time.  On that basis I reckon on total effort somewhere in the region of 25 to 30 hours. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12247 on: 09 July, 2017, 10:56:10 am »
Snip

No more responding to "Attention facilities team- code brown in the hydro pool- code brown in the hydro pool!" or standing over the pit of doom with a crap covered float switch in my hand waiting for 20,000 gallons of sewage to pump away.

:thumbsup:

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #12248 on: 09 July, 2017, 12:07:50 pm »

Rob

Is that a Proxxon torque wrench you have there?  I have their 1/4 inch drive one (without extra tools as apparently in that view) and it is a lovely thing.  Plenty of nice Park tools there, too.  My own workshop wall was similar, but more for general model engineering and DIY, rather than specifically cycle.

All I'v semi-fettled today, was a trial partial disassembly of our bed, pending a house move soon.  It is home made, and I couldn't remember if I'd glued it together after the last house move 30 years ago or not.  I hadn't luckily.  It has to be reduced to its basic components of sides, ends, and numerous slats to get out of the room.
Wombat

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12249 on: 09 July, 2017, 12:19:32 pm »
Yeah is mighty fine, but can we get a picture mid full strip down service to see if you are using this correctly? :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit