Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2205402 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #17675 on: 27 March, 2023, 05:50:17 pm »
#CatsWithDrills

(Wasn't that an Eddie Izzard routine?)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17676 on: 27 March, 2023, 05:51:52 pm »
I wish I'd taken the picture up my stairs after I'd wiped all the dust off the wall with the mop and not before. If it's annoying anyone else I apologise.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #17677 on: 27 March, 2023, 05:52:09 pm »
#CatsWithDrills

(Wasn't that an Eddie Izzard routine?)

Certainly was!

« Reply #17678 on: 27 March, 2023, 09:13:12 pm »
I wish I'd taken the picture up my stairs after I'd wiped all the dust off the wall with the mop and not before. If it's annoying anyone else I apologise.

I was seeing a reclining frog mural up the right hand wall.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #17679 on: 27 March, 2023, 09:31:12 pm »
;D

« Reply #17680 on: 27 March, 2023, 10:03:36 pm »
Worked on a really lovely S-Works Venge this morning, belonging to my friend.
It had two problems.
1) The rear wheel was canted over to the right at the top.
2) It was not selecting 11 speeds, the rear derailleur range only covered 2 to 11 or 1 to 10.

Cured "1" by turning the right hand cone spring around on the QR skewer. I had often wondered what the effect of fitting them the wrong way round would be! Something learnt today then!

Cured "2" by fitting new jockey wheels. The bearings had worn out in both. The new ones were an upgrade and have ceramic bearings. This was my first encounter with ceramic bearing components. Not knowing the protocol for lubricating ceramic bearings, I got the owner to google it, while I did the work. Ceramic bearings need no lubrication.

Something else learnt!

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #17681 on: 27 March, 2023, 11:41:20 pm »
Worked on a really lovely S-Works Venge this morning, belonging to my friend.
It had two problems.
1) The rear wheel was canted over to the right at the top.
2) It was not selecting 11 speeds, the rear derailleur range only covered 2 to 11 or 1 to 10.

Cured "1" by turning the right hand cone spring around on the QR skewer. I had often wondered what the effect of fitting them the wrong way round would be! Something learnt today then!

Cured "2" by fitting new jockey wheels. The bearings had worn out in both. The new ones were an upgrade and have ceramic bearings. This was my first encounter with ceramic bearing components. Not knowing the protocol for lubricating ceramic bearings, I got the owner to google it, while I did the work. Ceramic bearings need no lubrication.

Something else learnt!

I suggest that you try Googling it youself.

« Reply #17682 on: 28 March, 2023, 06:40:17 am »
At the weekend. Attached the newly refurbished* Campagnolo Chorus 10s levers to my Dolan Dual
bike. Inserted new gear and brake cables. Added new jockey wheels to the long-cage Chorus rear
derailleur. Will put on bar tape and index the gears when the rear wheel comes back with its new
Shimano 105 5800 rear hub.

*These people did a very good job and got the levers back to me within a week.

« Reply #17683 on: 28 March, 2023, 02:43:32 pm »
Off camping on weekend for early 40th celebrations. Ahead of this mate popped round with his battery grinder and we converted a 205l drum into a big arse BBQ

I'd had the drums at work (had a spare incase) for ages and as loading into van Thursday one of the guys said oh we've got some weldmesh you can have to make the grill

Quite impressed with the job we did. Was an thick drum compared to ones I had to deliver in a previous job which would ding as easy as anything

Did have to liberally squirt washing up liquid on path and wash down afterwards to deal with oil rainbows

« Reply #17684 on: 28 March, 2023, 08:25:58 pm »
Have been shredding lord knows how many bank statements and other personal trivia residing in the somewhat full plastic storage box. What a right pain in the maximus. Shredder has overheated twice despite being well oiled, so this will end up being a three day operation. Fortunately I am allowed to place the resultant voluminous shredded material in our green composting bin. Now all I need is lots of grass cuttings.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #17685 on: 28 March, 2023, 10:39:55 pm »
Rear dynamo light and front mudflap.

« Reply #17686 on: 28 March, 2023, 11:09:30 pm »
Ceramic bearings need no lubrication.

Something else learnt!

I suggest that you try Googling it youself.

Thanks Jonbuoy...

I have now googled it myself...

Interesting initial reading. No quantification given but "low speed" full ceramic items can run dry.

I am guessing the highest cadence this rider will produce will be 110rpm, she has a 53/39 crankset and the jockey wheels are 11 tooth.

So 110 x 53/11 = 530rpm

I reckon that is seen as low speed.

Anyone got experience that suggests otherwise?

Jef
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17687 on: 29 March, 2023, 07:40:40 am »
I eventually fitted the Joseph Kuosac 25mm 349 tyres I bought from yanto.  I assume he sold them because they were impossible to fit  ;D

Anyway, a VAR tyre lever eventually prevailed and they look absolutely boss on the tiny Kinlin rims.  After a fortnight inflated, all folding tyre beads stretch and are easy to remove.

The Moulton F-frame skunkworks project is currently 20.5lb with just the chainring and chain to go.  Target is sub 10kg, as sub 20lb is apparently impossible - the frameset alone is 10.5lb.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #17688 on: 29 March, 2023, 07:52:41 pm »
Fettled all the leaves & crap out of a gutter that was causing an overflow & water all down the front of the house.  In the pissing rain.  (The job I mean, overflow being unlikely if it weren't raining.
Then put the ladder away.
Then remembered the gutter at the back of the house with a joint that works it's way apart every couple of years.
Then got the ladder out again and fixed same. (Which way to the div thread?)
And now I'm typing this while dripping gently.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #17689 on: 29 March, 2023, 08:46:54 pm »
Now that it's a bit warmer, and having yesterday done some scrubbing, sanding and painting with Granocryl, I cut some insulating board to size and pasted it to the inside of my cold larder. I only did the bottom most shelf for experimental porpoises.
2023-03-29_08-08-51 by The Pingus, on Flickr

I need to buy some Zinsser PermaWhite now.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #17690 on: 30 March, 2023, 10:21:44 pm »
A couple of days ago Sigma Sports generously offered the Wahoo Blue SC for a bargainous £39.99 , so I bought one. Today I fitted it, configured it electronically, and tested it, though not necessarily in that order. Tomorrow a whole new exercise world awaits me.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #17691 on: 31 March, 2023, 05:29:47 pm »
Back to the larder cupboard above, I got out my sander and sanded the rest of the walls and shelves down. I made myself a bit of a tent with a dust sheet and it seemed to do a good job of keeping the rest of the kitchen clean, though I looked like a ghost.
Then I covered the rest of the walls in the insulating board and filled in the gaps with Screwfix Instant Plaster.
2023-03-31_05-22-06 by The Pingus, on Flickr

If the weather is still pishy tomorrow I'll get some PermaWhite and give it a coat.

In GAMI news, I ordered the steel security door from Latham's which the joiner is going to fit in the garage.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #17692 on: 31 March, 2023, 10:45:24 pm »
Mother Dear is in a bit of a decline.
She is currently living here in Aberdeen with my brother, whilst we get proper care set up.

So I have today been through at her place setting up some things the care team require of us:

- A Keysafe on the outside so the carers can get in and out;
- A locked medicine cabinet where they will take over the storage and manage her medication.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17693 on: 01 April, 2023, 04:03:08 pm »
Replaced the lumpy front tyre on Steve’s tandem and adjusted the front brake and timing chain/ eccentric BB. Adjusted the captain’s position to suit me, fitted my saddle and pedals and tested the gears. Fitted some headlights and moved the GPS mount. Fitted an underseat bag with spares for next weekend’s Arrow. I might retape both bars.

Adjusted the gears of HK’s upright trike, after she washed it. Adjusted the gears and headset of HK’s Kinesis, after she washed it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #17694 on: 01 April, 2023, 04:25:31 pm »
A new spring on the garage door. Very satisfying.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #17695 on: 01 April, 2023, 04:38:17 pm »
Put curtain rail up in a bay window. It's one of those cheap ones that comes coiled up.  When you unleash it from the packaging it is full of suppressed energy like a snapped bandsaw blade without the teeth.  The operation was a test of hand strength and willpower.  Taming it by the application of heat is for wimps.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #17696 on: 01 April, 2023, 05:02:25 pm »
Back on the larder cupboard. I gave it a coat of PermaWhite this morning and then we went out for lunch. After the 2hr recoat time (more like 3+) I started sticking another coat of paint on. The first coat was dry everywhere in the cupboard except at the bottom which was still properly wet, despite it being the first place I painted this morning.
This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for the future. I'm living in the vain hope that leaving the door closed to keep the cats out and it being quite chilly today is the main factor...  :-\

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17697 on: 01 April, 2023, 05:17:15 pm »
No-one makes a cantilevered pull-up bar - no wall could cope - so I bought a double-ended one (I mean, who has two walls exactly 1.07m apart to fit such a thing?!), sawed the bracket off one end, and added a scaffolding hook and a chain to an anchor hook further up the wall.  It holds a reet fat bastad swinging on it now.

20230401_171210 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17698 on: 01 April, 2023, 05:54:02 pm »
A learning tower for the Gorgeous Grandchildren.

Take one Ikea Bekvam stool, some lengths of  two by one, three by one and some screws. Add a dose of YouTube, some (very) questionable carpentry skillz and Bob's yer wossnsme.
Needs painting.
Gorgeous Grandchildren will get a look at it tomorrow.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #17699 on: 01 April, 2023, 06:02:08 pm »
A learning tower for the Gorgeous Grandchildren.

Take one Ikea Bekvam stool, some lengths of  two by one, three by one and some screws. Add a dose of YouTube, some (very) questionable carpentry skillz and Bob's yer wossnsme.
Needs painting.
Gorgeous Grandchildren will get a look at it tomorrow.
Pics !!
Rust never sleeps