Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1776057 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #5325 on: 03 September, 2014, 07:29:50 pm »
OD is delayed by the train chaos getting out of That London, following a person hit by a train earlier, and will make his way to the Baker's Arms as soon as he is able...

I'm going to set off shortly, following his route until either

• I reach the Baker's Arms
  • My GPS implodes
  • I get bored of following road signs for places I've already been through and make directly for the pub

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5326 on: 03 September, 2014, 07:33:34 pm »
Dez and I will be there, under electron power.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5327 on: 04 September, 2014, 12:18:47 am »
Well, we went to the Baker's Arms and I tried three different ales: Wadsworth 6X, Chocs Away (A Maldon brew, something to do with the Stow Maries WWI aerodrome) and a Young's beer. I thought they were all pretty ordinary and was disappointed that the hand pump with an Adnams Broadside badge on it seemed to be only for decoration.

OD held forth eloquently, telling us about his romantic weekend ballroom dancing with the Inestimable Mrs. R. There was quite a significant number of us in attendance but I didn't grasp everyone's name. We had an in-depth comparison of our experiences with meles meles. Dances with Wolves pales into insignificance when it comes to Cycling with Badgers.

Dez had dropped me off at the pub, parked at the tennis club and then picked me up again. We found ourselves on the A414 following OD, Oaky and one other for a mile or so before they took the right turn into Riffhams Lane. Mildly pissed cyclists make quite an amusing sight caught in the headlights at a steady 20 mph. We didn't see any badgers.

« Reply #5328 on: 04 September, 2014, 07:02:45 am »
We all met up outside, after passing each other on The Ridge a few minutes before, and it was now properly dark. We piled bikes and piled in. Wadsworth 6X for me which was fine and the Chocs Away was something to do with Stow Maries Aerodrome. Flatlands, badgers, trains, and buttered grapes were some of the conversational entrées.

Oaky, who's only 1/3 English now, pulls off a Five of Spades impression!

Long John Silver turned up doing a passable Wowbagger. 'Yarrgh!'

I had a jolly good ride and, being early again, went along The Ridge to see if t'others would come that way. They passed me but I didn't recognise any of them as it was dark!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5329 on: 05 September, 2014, 07:54:43 am »
Wednesday evening was a good one.  Despite the train's best efforts I managed to be at the meeting point on time and even ate some dinner before throwing my leg over the Ribble. 

The ride out was pleasantly convoluted with some dodgy surfaces which prompted much moaning from Oaky.  Apparently hitting deep gravel at 20mph or more is a problem  ::-)  We then had a minor navigational hiccup and ended on Hammonds Road when we should have been on Chapel Lane (western escarpment of TMNH).  Naturally this gave Oaky the opportunity to once again regale anyone prepared to listen about my inadequacies when it comes to programming a Garmin and assured his audience that we would shortly find ourselves in Great Yarmouth.   In fairness, due to my navigational inadequacies we did once find ourselves in Great Yarmouth but that's another story.  Anyhow, having conducted a postmortem I didn't think I set the Garmin up wrong, I think I missed a turn instruction.  But at least we gave the doggers a fright by Hurrells Lane ford.

Once back on track we had a very close encounter with a badger.  Thankfully this time it didn't try to bite our front wheels, possibly cos Huggy wasn't with us.

I pushed open the front door of The Baker's Arms to be met by an enormous mottled grey Great Dane.  It transpired it was improbably named Twiglet.  Here (s)he is with companion Harvey:

From memory the assembled company were: me, Oaky,  Brian the Train, Steve (Brian's mate), James (from Witham Cycling), Dez, Wow, Tomsk, Del and Slippy.

The landlady of The Baker's Arms asked me to mention they are holding a beer festival this weekend.  If you ask the bar staff they will point you in the direction of their back passage where bikes can be securely stored.

Where shall we go next week?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5330 on: 06 September, 2014, 06:28:47 pm »
^ Next week? An old favourite or somewhere new? I'm too befuddled with last-minute questions/entries for the Flatlands to think hard about it just now!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5331 on: 06 September, 2014, 06:35:46 pm »
If a no brainer is required there's only one answer ...

The Compasses!

« Reply #5332 on: 06 September, 2014, 07:22:10 pm »
Sounds like a plan. I'll probably do a direct route again, it depends on how my legs are after tommorow's 60ish mile jaunt to Brighton.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5333 on: 06 September, 2014, 08:14:35 pm »
I will be in Maidstone every Wednesday and Thursday for quite some time to come, so I reckon my next appearance could well be the Christmas Do.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5334 on: 06 September, 2014, 09:38:52 pm »
If a no brainer is required there's only one answer ...

The Compasses!

:thumbsup:

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #5335 on: 08 September, 2014, 11:44:02 am »
Any route planned out as yet Steve? Will it be a 7.30pm meet at Spa Road roundabout again?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5336 on: 08 September, 2014, 03:32:10 pm »
Doggers Lane please identify yourself!

The Retiree

« Reply #5337 on: 08 September, 2014, 04:02:30 pm »
I can reveal myself as James Millard (Witham Cycling) sorry not had the chance to complete my profile with a picture as yet!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5338 on: 08 September, 2014, 08:08:09 pm »
I can reveal myself as James Millard (Witham Cycling) sorry not had the chance to complete my profile with a picture as yet!!

;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5339 on: 09 September, 2014, 07:02:37 am »
Any route planned out as yet Steve? Will it be a 7.30pm meet at Spa Road roundabout again?

7:30 at the roundabout will be just fine. I'm not going to have time to come up with a route so feel free to devise something or we can just wing it.

The Retiree

« Reply #5340 on: 09 September, 2014, 08:52:29 am »
Looking forward to it and I trust you to wing our way there Steve  ;) do we have anyone else joining us this week?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5341 on: 09 September, 2014, 02:34:48 pm »
Last time I did a solo ride to The Compasses I did this route http://connect.garmin.com/activity/559089541, which I quite enjoyed.
At this point in time I do not have a pass for Wednesday evening pending home office govenor relenting because of weekend silliness coming up and feeling like she's going to be on her own on bike ride night and the weekend, but I'm sure it'll work itself out by 7:30 tomorrow...  ::-)

EDIT: the route shared has the potential of diverting via Doggers Ford especially for DL  :D
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

The Retiree

« Reply #5342 on: 09 September, 2014, 04:40:01 pm »
Fingers crossed you secure a pass for tomorrow night Grant! Looks like a good route to take and last weeks diversion past the Doggers ford was certainly an experience  ;) thanks to Steve's Garmin playing up.....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5343 on: 09 September, 2014, 05:44:00 pm »
I want to understand more about James' fascination with Hurrells Lane. Is there something he's not telling us?

« Reply #5344 on: 09 September, 2014, 09:11:32 pm »
I put the rubbish out :thumbsup: alas I will not be a plying for a pass. I feel being away all weekend  and getting a lift pre 5 am is probably not really covered by 1 week of successful  rubbish duty.

The Retiree

« Reply #5345 on: 09 September, 2014, 09:27:02 pm »
I do like dogs Steve, those of the four legged furry variety and I was struggling for a username and after last weeks excursions Hurrells was fresh in my memory :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5346 on: 09 September, 2014, 09:32:03 pm »
Yeah right!

Something to bear in mind ...

It is not uncommon for yacf members to refer to their partners as Mr/Mrs <insert forum name>.  Your Mrs is going to love being referred to as Mrs Doggers  Lane!

;D

The Retiree

« Reply #5347 on: 09 September, 2014, 09:36:32 pm »
Haha oh no what have I done, she doesn't know yet maybe I will let her known that she will be called Mrs DL  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5348 on: 09 September, 2014, 09:55:22 pm »
Quickly change your forum name to Hurrells Lane and give each of us £50 and she'll never know!

The Retiree

« Reply #5349 on: 10 September, 2014, 08:43:23 am »
Ok Steve sounds fair I'll settle up with you tonight  ;)