Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2510445 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #21600 on: 13 November, 2023, 08:06:36 pm »
This morning nearly took car as rain was bouncing but waterproofed up and then sweated to work. Noticed mid morning it was starting to get pretty windy which worked in my favour as absolutely smashed the journey home. Despite getting stuck behind a bus a couple of times of the 23 strava segments on my commute achievement in 21 and 17 PBs.

Unfortunately still a stiff breeze tomorrow so ride in won't be as fun

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21601 on: 21 November, 2023, 10:23:02 pm »
Managed to get home quicker than I got in.  I suspect a mild cross-tail wind had something to do with that, as well as a return to normal traffic rather than the psycho conditions last Tuesday.  Seemed to have reduce the nagging cold symptoms that had been hanging around for weeks as a result, although I said that last week, so we will see what happens.  79th time I've done a 100-mile round trip work commute into London.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #21602 on: 22 November, 2023, 07:58:33 am »
cold and slow. I think I'm getting slower, but maybe I'm just pacing myself better - 1kph slower getting out of London, but didn't need the feel to hammer it on the chance of being lucky with the lights. Warmer riding across town in the morning, but into a cold headwind on the way home. North London traffic was mental, but now it's drier, and most of the leaves are off the trees the cyclepaths are getting less like rural bridleways. The Redbourn road was as unpleasant as always, but after that it was so quiet that I fancifully decided that the Russians had started launching missiles and everyone was hiding at home. Then normal service resumed and I was brought out of my reverie...
23rd commute of the year, I think.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21603 on: 24 November, 2023, 08:28:59 am »
Commuted in yesterday.  I don't often do two commutes in the week and this was certainly the first time in winter hours (as the 3+ hour ride home is entirely in the dark), but I got fed up with the Machiavellian timetable back to Basingstoke.  After 7pm there are 3 fast trains an hour.  They leave at 5 minutes, 9 minutes, and 20 minutes past the hour, so if you rock up at 7:25 you have a 40 minute wait.  So it took me 2hr 45min to get home by train on Wednesday night.  Fuelled by a pint of Adnams Old in the Hole in the Wall I resolved to ride in yesterday and was rewarded by a blissful tailwind on the way in, and plenty of Rule #5 nagging headwind on the way back.  Only the 12th London commute this year, but I've had a lot more Basingstoke - Oxford - Basingstoke commutes to make up for it.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #21604 on: 24 November, 2023, 09:27:03 pm »
See, it's those sort of posts that take commuting to a whole new level.  Here I am worrying about jobs being a further 10 or 20 mons ride away.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #21605 on: 27 November, 2023, 12:16:02 pm »
Dentist appt in town at 8am before work (in opposite direction).  As I was struggling with the cold on Friday I layered for warmth, too much it turns out as I was sweating like a pig.
Didn't help that I had a 5 min detour due to road works on the Rea Valley route.

« Reply #21606 on: 29 November, 2023, 09:39:33 am »
Canal now iced up all the way into Glasgow.  The cold makes the pigeons sluggish to take off and get out my way !   One hit my arm lightly trying to get airborne. 

« Reply #21607 on: 29 November, 2023, 12:36:43 pm »
COLD!

There's a problem with the heating in our office which means that it is often a bit too hot when I arrive, before setting to a more acceptable level. I was very glad it was warm when I got there this morning.

« Reply #21608 on: 29 November, 2023, 06:39:54 pm »
Yes it was fairly cold and glad nearly all my cycle is on bus routes or on decent cycle paths next to gritted roads so hope a bit of spread

The sunrise made up for it. Was absolutely beautiful, think ill keep the phone closer to hand for pictures incase same tomorrow. As did avoiding the usual carnage in the carpark which just isn't big enough for the usage

« Reply #21609 on: 30 November, 2023, 08:27:04 pm »
No where near as picturesque this morning. That kinda grey cold semi fog. Some ice and frost about. Managed to catch (slowly) a guy on a Brompton and exchanged a few words about it being rather nippy

Was convinced I had a rubbing brake or similar on way home as struggled but spun wheels when got home and run fine. I think it's partially a North wind so harder on way home, partially the heavy marathon tyres, partially having all the layers on and a fair bit I'm rather tired. Roll on having the week off between Christmas and NY

« Reply #21610 on: 04 December, 2023, 08:55:00 pm »
Weather was meant to be very wet so donned leg condoms or waterproof trousers as some call them and my very old but still pretty waterproof walking jacket as my cycling specific ones no longer even water resistant

There was precisely no rain so I gently broiled on way to work

Forgo leg coverage on way home which was drizzly and hard work but just slowed it down and enjoyed rolling at a slower speed

Once home was dark and whilst sorting chickens and putting bikes away head torch picked up the reflective bands of tyres and I was surprised how much visibility they add

« Reply #21611 on: 04 December, 2023, 10:06:54 pm »
Lovely ride in.

« Reply #21612 on: 05 December, 2023, 09:31:18 pm »
Lovely ride in.

I assume you have spikes?

« Reply #21613 on: 06 December, 2023, 11:17:23 pm »
Same BMW driver doing close pass a short stroll from their house.  So, how do I breach the subject with them without going nuclear.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21614 on: 06 December, 2023, 11:50:21 pm »
Use his car to cook an Edmonton Casserole.

Place your meat1 into the car, douse the car with a good quality petrol2, add a watermelon, throw a Zippo into the window, stand well back. Ready in a couple of hours, or sooner if it rains.

Serving suggestion:

1 - anything that you can catch with a tin of Pedigree Chum and a shovel
2 - Agip, Elf or Total for that authentique Continental tang
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #21615 on: 07 December, 2023, 10:10:14 am »
Lovely ride in.

I assume you have spikes?

Actually, no.  The roads were clear enough, that’s on the canal path
The path is slippier now with a few non flat icy bits but there’s clear bits at the edges

« Reply #21616 on: 07 December, 2023, 07:32:00 pm »
Well that was grim, first commute where really didnt fancy it. About 500 metres into my commute there's a t junction in turn right at, very nearly turned left and headed to Station. Managed to persuade myself to just get on with it and once I'd got to saturation point it wasn't THAT bad. Forsaked my usual cut through as that's basically a swamp now and got home and covered several radiators in stuff to dry

The wife very kindly said I could take the car tomorrow, till I pointed out no i couldn't as she needs it

« Reply #21617 on: 08 December, 2023, 09:14:07 pm »
Well today was a massive improvement. Milder despite being clear enough for a beautiful crescent of moon and I think venus to be clear in the sky, the light was just starting to show in the sky and a little mist made it rather ethereal. Wasn't quick but didn't really care as was tired so just wound it down and enjoyed the ride. Did go and check my bike at lunch as a bit paranoid about getting to end of day a d finding I've had a visitation. Only thing I found was my chain despite spraying with chain lube most evenings was a nice rusty colour. Need to apply something heavier

Homewards I must have had a tail wind to go with Friday feeling as sped along (at the speeds a not very quick cyclist on a tourer set up in full commuting and weatherproofing with heavy panniers goes). Was passed by another cyclist which is rare as hardly see any and most are similar speeds. He kindly gave a little ring on the bell and a hello before passing me

Did have to swing by and pick youngest up from school disco which had planned for in as much as got the wife to ride to school with her this morning. Problem was I'd pushed quite hard on way home and built up a bit of a sweat which had rather chilled me by the time I'd waited 15 minutes to collect and then a slow cycle home.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #21618 on: 12 December, 2023, 01:03:34 pm »
It was raining in sunny Suffolk, quite hard. 
I made the mistake of using the psyclpath in order to avoid being splashed by vehicles charging through the extra large puddles.  This was a mistake as there is an undrained underpass.  Which was about 8" deep in (warmish, muddy) rainwater. 

Said underpass has the endearing feature of a kerbstone on the middle to, y'know, separate cyclists and pedestrians.  It wasn't exactly visible in the murky puddle so guess who had an unplanned descent and paddle (and had to rinse out their lunch).  The work laptop still works though. 
I've been sitting in a damp lower half (jeans etc, barefoot though) since 8:00am approx.; I've managed not to get too chilly.  Some of me has even dried out.  But I will certainly be wearing different shoes for the next few days.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #21619 on: 12 December, 2023, 01:28:09 pm »

Said underpass has the endearing feature of a kerbstone on the middle to, y'know, separate cyclists and pedestrians.  It wasn't exactly visible in the murky puddle so guess who had an unplanned descent and paddle (and had to rinse out their lunch). 

At least you'll know on the way home.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #21620 on: 12 December, 2023, 01:53:18 pm »
Oh, it is nice when it is not so cold.
Got out of the station and expected to be very wet when I got to the office. Was a bit damp, but not as bad as Id feared.

« Reply #21621 on: 18 December, 2023, 05:04:09 pm »
A tale of two halfs. Really didn't fancy the ride but was an event at work so parking would be even more restricted then usual so cycled. Dark, head wind and a barely 20kmh average

Had a big panic as an overtaking truck must have run something over but feared I'd jettisoned a pannier and had my work laptop in one of the panniers. Thankfully both still attached but may try and cable tie on for piece of mind

Way home had a lovely tailwind, ridiculously mild for last week before Christmas and a bit of pep in the pedal so ended up around 5kmh faster in way home

« Reply #21622 on: 20 December, 2023, 08:10:54 pm »
Again heavily wind affected, dragged myself to work this morning and was looking forward to a sail home but didn't appear quite as directly behind as hoped, then hit traffic up the hill I need to climb so was slow but did manage a few uphill sprints past cars

Then had an utter nob abort an pass as I was cycling past a traffic island and they realised at last minute they weren't going to make it. Made me swear rather loudly in surprise but the driver didn't even look at me when they shot past shortly afterwards.

« Reply #21623 on: 22 December, 2023, 04:10:42 pm »
Looking out the window, there’s little tree movement or other signs of windiness, yet that ride home was a right chore, and my knees complained near the end.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21624 on: 02 January, 2024, 05:23:02 pm »
Modest headwind in, Henk up.my arse on the way home.  Win.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.