Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519565 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #18225 on: 14 March, 2016, 04:46:19 pm »
I got lost in Middlesbrough. No one wants to ride on the A66, Mrs Google!

I commuted to Middlesbrough for eight years.  It is an utter, utter shithole.  In phases, the houses on my commute were derelict, boarded-up, demolished, and turned into grassed areas.  And during all that I got t-boned at a junction.

I think you should buy a helicopter to bypass the Boro section.
Milk please, no sugar.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #18227 on: 15 March, 2016, 12:04:56 pm »
I had a nice spin in and got to laugh at the idiot who rear ended a cab because he was cycling like a complete twonk.

« Reply #18228 on: 15 March, 2016, 12:48:08 pm »
The Toy Bridge was open this morning. I'm wondering if I'll ever get bored of crossing a big River on a viewing platform. I suspect my Facebook friends will get bored of the pictures before I get bored of taking them.
In other news: headwind. Ugh.

« Reply #18229 on: 15 March, 2016, 06:51:23 pm »
^^ I'd never get bored of that, very jealous, apart from the Boro bit.

Cracking tailwind tonight, taking turns with a friend, I was holding 40 kph when he came past like a train, clinging on at 48, then the road went up and the elastic snapped, great fun though

« Reply #18230 on: 16 March, 2016, 08:32:39 am »
Paying for that ^^ a bit this morning, that nasty cold headwind at just the right angle to be tough all the way didn't help, mind you the Sharpe's Atlantic I enjoyed last night probably had an effect too.

« Reply #18231 on: 16 March, 2016, 08:48:24 am »
A road which has been on my commute for well over the last ten years, Cedars Road, became a 20 mph zone sometime last week, when I was not commuting.  So far it doesn't appear to have made any difference, the traffic seems to be going at the same speed as it always has, not surprisingly since it's a straight wide hill.  That's not much different from most of the other short areas I cycle, that were made 20 mph zones.
Actually, it is rocket science.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18232 on: 16 March, 2016, 09:41:56 am »
Sun's out 8)

Short sleeves and shorts for the first time this year! Also a much quicker ride than for a while :)

Only negative was kicking the tail of the crud guard on the front, and not being able to find the little nut and bolt that holds it on.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #18233 on: 16 March, 2016, 10:34:19 am »
Dear fellow bike commuter this am, please give some bloomin warning when you intend to pass from behind between me and the kerb, with a handful of inches to spare, on a not too wide dual-use path...

Other than that good sunny ride .
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #18234 on: 16 March, 2016, 01:35:12 pm »
The main thing of note is that there actually was a commute today.  For the first time in two years, now that my trapped nerve isn't, any more, and by 'eck did it feel good.  I suspect my 6am start is a tad earlier than mcshroom's, cos although the sun was up (gloriously so, in fact) it was about 5C and definitely not short sleeves & shorts weather.  But still lovely.

« Reply #18235 on: 16 March, 2016, 02:01:14 pm »
The Toy Bridge was open this morning.

Whats the Toy Bridge ?  Google shows brio and lego and stuff.

« Reply #18236 on: 16 March, 2016, 05:16:30 pm »
The Toy Bridge was open this morning.

Whats the Toy Bridge ?  Google shows brio and lego and stuff.
Ah. It's funded by the poor tax lottery fund and closes at the merest hint of wind or mist.
The Toy Bridge

« Reply #18237 on: 16 March, 2016, 05:34:59 pm »
That's cool. I'd like that on my commute.

« Reply #18238 on: 17 March, 2016, 09:01:18 am »
Very steady cruise in the sun for what'll be the last one of the week since it's the cattle car tomorrow to try and conserve some energy for the weekend. Just need to find an excuse not to ride home with my mate without offending him, he does not do steady whatever he says and I'm not bright enough not to go into terrier mode.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18239 on: 17 March, 2016, 09:12:15 am »
Not quite as warm today but another quick ride in the sunshine :)

I'm slowly gaining speed I think, even with an extra rucksack today

« Reply #18240 on: 17 March, 2016, 10:05:55 am »
Close call this morning. There is a regular group of school lads who I often see on my way to work. They pull out of a side turn and either up onto the pavement or into the cycle lane, however they never look for cyclists coming along the cycle lane and don't stop. This morning they got the junction just as I was approaching so I was already slowing when the lead rider came into my lane without so much as a look. As with the last time they did this to me I had a car in the vehicle lane on my rear quarter and couldn't pull out to make room.

My bellow of "Morning" rather shocked him and was followed with an instruction to "look next time".

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #18241 on: 17 March, 2016, 10:13:59 am »
'Twas a bit linsey-woolsey this morning. The lack of wind was a most splendid thing. The lack of visibility, on the other hand...

Where did that fog come from ???
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #18242 on: 17 March, 2016, 09:08:37 pm »
Bright  and clear here today (nippy tho'). Am enjoying the "false dawn" before the clocks go forward and it's back to dark o'clock am for a while.

Two barn owls at 10 mile interval.  Nice to see them, they've been a bit few and far between since we had that harder than usual winter 3 or 4 years back.  Possible skylark singing.  Can't be sure, skull cap interfering with hearing. Bit early, but the lambs and other things are 2 to 3 weeks early this year so p'raps not impossible.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #18243 on: 17 March, 2016, 10:10:37 pm »
Bit of a traffic jam on Cleasby Lane today...

(click to show/hide)

red marley

« Reply #18244 on: 17 March, 2016, 10:35:56 pm »
Looks like Iron Maiden's Eddie on the front of that tractor.

« Reply #18245 on: 17 March, 2016, 11:48:39 pm »
All farmers are metal fans on the sly. Well-known fact.

« Reply #18246 on: 18 March, 2016, 10:58:59 am »
1st commute this week. I was totally floored by the flu earlier, but felt I was over it not too bad. I knew I'd feel a wee bit weak today, and I was totally right.  Slight headwind which is unusual, but I just had to slow right down and plod on. I enjoyed it a lot.

« Reply #18247 on: 18 March, 2016, 11:03:34 am »
Pleasant ride in. Stopped to talk to a workman to point out that their traffic management round their works wasn't brilliant. Come round a blind left hand bend to be confronted by a van with flashing lights and a keep right board as you approach a railway bridge with a crest.  Suggested the van should be on the verge on the other side of the road and then the sight lines of the working area and the time to assess the traffic beyond the bridge would be better. Worse still the school run was about to start and it is the sole access to the primary school and no through.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #18248 on: 18 March, 2016, 11:13:55 am »
Quite nice, a little breezy and chilly but good to be awheel!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18249 on: 18 March, 2016, 11:18:25 am »
I walked out into bright sunshine then rode almost immediately into a bank of fog. Looks like it's burning off now but it was a chillier ride than I expected when I set off.