Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519271 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #3275 on: 08 November, 2010, 07:59:30 am »
scrounged a lift  :-[ , my father commutes straight past my office. Itherwise it was a bit wet and windy.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3276 on: 08 November, 2010, 08:10:52 am »
Hmmm.  Over-dramatic weather forecast or was I just lucky?
Nowhere near as windy as Thurs. last week and not that wet either.
In fact it was a downright pleasant ride in.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3277 on: 08 November, 2010, 08:14:21 am »
Well it is windy, and it is rainy in Brighton. In the night it sounded like somebody through a bucket of nails against the window.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #3278 on: 08 November, 2010, 08:17:31 am »
A couple of hours ago Pippa said to me "Its windy out there".

"Oh" I said, not shifting from under the duvet, "From which direction?".

"All of them" came the reply.

Having arrived home, I'd say she was right.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3279 on: 08 November, 2010, 08:22:11 am »
:smug: my meeting's been cancelled so I can work from home :smug:

« Reply #3280 on: 08 November, 2010, 09:01:13 am »
Similar experience to TheLurker here in South Wales.  A calm, dry ride in, though colder than last week and the roads were wet.  I was woken at 5 by the battering at the bedroom window.  It all just died down in time for my ride.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3281 on: 08 November, 2010, 09:18:30 am »
It was a bit windy, it was a bit wet.  It's November, so what's the big deal?

Not sure what it was like in other parts of the country, but London wasn't bad, even cycling into the wind/rain.  Took a diversion to avoid cars this morning, just because I didn't feel like 'sharing' the road.  Took CS3 from Canning Town then the Thames Path/canal from Limehouse.  I haven't done the latter in ages, but despite the more exposed route, the wet and the leaves I enjoyed it.  Too bad it will be dark by the time I leave the office.  Hopefully the wind will keep up and blow me back home.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3282 on: 08 November, 2010, 09:26:38 am »
Gloves, hat, Shoes, socks, humvees now toasting on various radiators around me.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3283 on: 08 November, 2010, 09:36:50 am »
That's TWO frikkin freehubs trashed in two days.  Bah humbug.

I think it's time to get a decent hub like a hope.

The cheapest way I found to get a Hope Pro 3 was to obtain a wiggle £5 voucher and then to use the ctcshop.  It came out a smidge under £120.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3284 on: 08 November, 2010, 10:06:45 am »
Quite a pleasant ride in.  One of several things I like about the rain is that it seems to keep the most stupid and annoying cyclists of the road.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #3285 on: 08 November, 2010, 10:15:19 am »
Wet. Very wet. Cold.

I think I should have put some overshoes on. Sandals + thin socks + gale + lots of water = cold toes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3286 on: 08 November, 2010, 10:17:52 am »
Yep, very few cyclists around this morning. Also, silly season with cars and puddles!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3287 on: 08 November, 2010, 10:21:20 am »
Oh BTW, the rain and wind hit the Westcountry last night and although I cycled up a fast flowing stream when climbing Culm Davey it was pretty much sunny loverlyness this morning

Lots of leaves on the ground however, please be careful

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3288 on: 08 November, 2010, 10:30:05 am »
I think I should have put some overshoes on.

I think I need to buy some overshoes!

I cut my ride short this morning - a paltry 13km instead of the planned 26km. Yesterday, I was moaning to anyone who would listen about my fellow club members being dawdlers, but I must have been putting in more effort than I realised at the time because I'm knackered today. Plus I was running late so would have had to push really hard to do the full distance in time, and just didn't have the legs for it. Not quite Friday legs, but maybe Wednesday legs.

Shame, cos I actually had a tailwind for once. And it wasn't actually raining down in east Kent. Raining quite hard in central London, though - hoping it stops before I leave the office this evening but the forecast isn't promising...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #3289 on: 08 November, 2010, 10:49:12 am »
Strong tail wind + very light rain = not a problem.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3290 on: 08 November, 2010, 11:16:22 am »
Bah that was wet! Overshoes FTW though  :thumbsup: Same number of dickhead buses up the Walworth Road. I think this rain is in for the day now.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3291 on: 08 November, 2010, 11:22:48 am »
I drove in...  :-[

...but I do have to drive to a meeting this afternoon.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3292 on: 08 November, 2010, 11:27:20 am »
Used the tube for the first time in ages as I'm off out tonight. Not happy.

I'd rather have been out in it this morning and got wet and cold rather than endure that again.

You lucky b*stards!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3293 on: 08 November, 2010, 12:43:10 pm »
Damp.

I'm so glad I have access to the boiler room, so I can dry my gloves & socks.  I did, though, bring a spare pair of socks jic.
Getting there...

« Reply #3294 on: 08 November, 2010, 12:46:15 pm »
I'm feeling a bit grotty, some sort of low level lurgy, that's hanging around, so foolishly I decided to use Public Transport, since the wind and rain was enough to put me off using the bike.

The District Line was buggered at Wimbledon, so I got off the Tram at Morden Road, and walked to South Wimbledon.  Then I got the Northern line to Kennington, and changed for the Charing Cross branch, went to Embankment and changed to Circle & District, and then onwards to Gloucester Road.  It only took me 1½ hours, which isn't bad for a fubared route, but not exactly speedy or simple.

I think I should have stuck to cycling. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3295 on: 08 November, 2010, 12:55:35 pm »
I'm feeling a bit grotty, some sort of low level lurgy, that's hanging around, so foolishly I decided to use Public Transport...

...in order to catch a higher-level lurgy?

I really do worry about the personal hygiene implications of travel on the London Underground.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3296 on: 08 November, 2010, 12:57:19 pm »
The District Line was buggered at Wimbledon, so I got off the Tram at Morden Road, and walked to South Wimbledon.  Then I got the Northern line to Kennington, and changed for the Charing Cross branch, went to Embankment and changed to Circle & District, and then onwards to Gloucester Road.  It only took me 1½ hours, which isn't bad for a fubared route, but not exactly speedy or simple.

I think I should have stuck to cycling. :-\

That's a bonkers route! A much more sensible route (assuming the District Line problems hadn't upset the nearby trains)  would have been:

Get to Wimbledon, get a train to Clapham Junction (more than 10 an hour).
London Overground train from Clapham Junction to West Brompton.
Then either walk from there if the District Line is still hosed, it's only 1.5 miles.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3297 on: 08 November, 2010, 01:58:27 pm »
There are many many routes, but some are cheaper than others, and most of them take a lot longer.

The fastest route isn't the one I use, but it's probably the cheapest.  East Croydon to Victoria, and then the District line to Gloucester Road is faster, but a bit more expensive (actually I'm not so sure about that now, since I think I can use my Oyster PAYG card on the entire route now).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Chris S

« Reply #3298 on: 08 November, 2010, 02:00:59 pm »
* looks out of window *

I love working at home  :smug:

« Reply #3299 on: 08 November, 2010, 02:07:45 pm »
I was quite impressed by the numbers of cyclists out and about in London this morning. All well kitted up apart from one mudguard-free eejit in T-shirt and footy shorts. I suspect that for many people like myself cycling to work is preferable to tube hell not just because of the general cruel-and-unusual aspects of the tube but because it is quicker (I'd have to get up 30 minutes earlier to go by tube and even then I'd run the risk of being late if there was any kind of cock-up or, as is more likely on the District Line, the tube just decides to park somewhere for a while).