Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 532760 times)

I have to wonder how blunt the knife has to be to find an avocado skin 'tough'. Bet most of those injuries are actually from trying to remove the stone with a knife (either use a spoon or a knife with a really pointy tip and don't be a wuss about stabbing it in).
There are plenty of wood carving 'cuts' where you actually cut towards the body - more control and it is safer (the classic 'potato peeling' cut being one). I have to wince when I see pictures of people whittling away with a penknife - they are often a danger to people around them or so close to hitting the femoral artery.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

I have to wonder how blunt the knife has to be to find an avocado skin 'tough'.

I don't get it either, the internet seems to be awash with stories about avocados getting warning labels. I often take an avocado to work and use one of the free knives from the canteen, they snap in two if you try to use them to butter toast.

Bet most of those injuries are actually from trying to remove the stone with a knife (either use a spoon or a knife with a really pointy tip and don't be a wuss about stabbing it in).

??? To undo an avocado, cut all the way round the longest axis, then hold in two hands and twist in opposite directions. The stone then pops out, either eat the avocado with a spoon or bend the skin back to remove.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Not sure whether to put this in the "Things I learnt today" thread, but as it was last week... Apparently you don't put a pizza *on* a pizza stone, you put it *under* the pizza stone. That is to say, you put it on a shelf in the oven above the pizza.

Tried it last week, and the pizza was amazing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
??? To undo an avocado, cut all the way round the longest axis, then hold in two hands and twist in opposite directions. The stone then pops out, either eat the avocado with a spoon or bend the skin back to remove.

That's what I mostly do but since I can no longer spoon out an avocado, I use a knife and fork.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Not sure whether to put this in the "Things I learnt today" thread, but as it was last week... Apparently you don't put a pizza *on* a pizza stone, you put it *under* the pizza stone. That is to say, you put it on a shelf in the oven above the pizza.

Tried it last week, and the pizza was amazing.
Really?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

I used to always remove the Avocado stone with the point of the knife until one time, I don't know why this happened as I'd done this many times before, but the knife went straight through the stone, Avo and then my hand. Ooops! Luckily the knife went through the 'Webbed' bit between the fingers and didn't sever any nerves or ligaments. The knife must have been sharp because it didn't hurt. It did bleed quite a bit tho.
I now chop into the stone with the sharp edge of the blade and twist.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
My revelatory food discovery of the weekend: pain choco-banane - ie pain au chocolat but with added banana.

This was from a lovely little patisserie near a small town called Mazy, somewhere north of Namur. They had loads of fantastic looking pastries on offer, but the pain choco-banane demanded to be tried above all else. What I really want to know is where have these marvellous creations been all my life?

I might have also had a rather lovely custard slice. But why bother with words when a picture does the job so much better...

Both tasted even better than they look.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Always promised myself a trip though Belgium...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
My revelatory food discovery of the weekend: pain choco-banane - ie pain au chocolat but with added banana.

This was from a lovely little patisserie near a small town called Mazy, somewhere north of Namur. They had loads of fantastic looking pastries on offer, but the pain choco-banane demanded to be tried above all else. What I really want to know is where have these marvellous creations been all my life?

I might have also had a rather lovely custard slice. But why bother with words when a picture does the job so much better...

Both tasted even better than they look.

:thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
My chilli recipe. No quantities supplied, I don't measure anything.

Garlic,
Onions cut into toenails
Ground cloves
Cinnamon
Paprika
Cayenne pepper
Chopped hot peppers if you fancy them
Any other herbs & spices you fancy at the time - oregano?
---
Fry that lot quite hot in your pot until the onions begin to brown a bit or until you get fed up waiting. Stir
---
Mince
Diced salt pork belly
Chopped chipolatas if like
---
Add that lot and fry a bit more, maybe until the mince begins to brown. Keep it moving
--
Small can of tomatoes and a hefty squirt of tomato purée
Tin of kidney beans
A banana, sliced.
---
Plonk them all in and stir it up. Keep heat medium-high to reduce liquid a bit, then lower heat & cover, simmer for 10-20 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Been doing it this way for 40 years. It's not "pure" chilli but folk like it.

citoyen

A banana, sliced.

You were doing so well until that point!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Ah, but the banana is essential for it to be my recipe.  Everyone I've fed it to has liked it, even Americans - although usually I don't mention the banana until after they've eaten it.

ETA you have to cook the mix long enough for it to dissolve, then it just blends in.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Stray fruit in bucket recipes work very well.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Green sour plums, apparently "a thing" here in Azerbaijan.  Very tasty. :thumbsup:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

Green sour plums, apparently "a thing" here in Azerbaijan.  Very tasty. :thumbsup:

And in Scotland:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soor_ploom

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I believe under-ripe mirabelles are A Thing in Romania.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Lots of local cherries on sale here yesterday.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsbury's online groceries website has been down since last night.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
It was up for long enough today for it to allow me to make a change to my order but then it died when I attempted to checkout :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It was up for long enough today for it to allow me to make a change to my order but then it died when I attempted to checkout :(

Don't think I've known it down for as long in 12 years of shopping online. It IS a Bank Holiday weekend; it's also one of the two Sundays during which supermarkets close.

Porridge oats level likely to become critical by next weekend.

Might have to send The Man to Tesco/Morrison's/Asda which are all within half a mille...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
In a way I'm glad to hear this as Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) reported problems with it when I rang him today, which he thought was due to his just not being able to see the screen very well.  I'd sell him my old monitor if his laptop was capable of lighting it up.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Suspect Sainsbury's wibble might not work until at least tomorrow. If Lt Col Larrington needs supplies, another source might be wise.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter

Don't think I've known it down for as long in 12 years of shopping online. It IS a Bank Holiday weekend; it's also one of the two Sundays during which supermarkets close.

Porridge oats level likely to become critical by next weekend.

Might have to send The Man to Tesco/Morrison's/Asda which are all within half a mille...

Whereas in the Heathen lands, not very supermarche only shut on Sunday if it's 25/12 or 1/1. Cos we are Heathens.