Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Knowledge / Re: Smart trainer
« Last post by ravenbait on Today at 10:33:00 am »
I have the same trainer and have used it regularly for about 2 years now. I tried out zwift using the trial code, but didn't like it. I use the Tacx app. It's very handy for me as I can ride along to a video or use it to do one of the workouts from my Garmin training plan, which automatically syncs to Tacx. Also, miles on Tacx count towards Garmin badges, and I'm a sucker for the badges. Tacx also has inbuilt training if that's your bag. If you have some other form of garmin that will talk to the trainer, for instance a Fenix or Edge, you can use it to control the trainer. You can even ride a course you've previously recorded on GPS, or a course you would like to do in future (not with a movie, though).

For me, the best bits about the trainer are:

• Being able to ride when my asthma is playing up, so I don't worry about having an attack in the middle of nowhere and needing rescue;
  • Being able to ride when the weather outside is so foul I'm more worried about careless drivers, or aggravating my asthma;
  • Being able to do structured workouts like intervals without road conditions being an obstacle; and
  • Having time to watch movies Mr Bait wouldn't want to watch while also doing something constructive.

I normally use my phone (Samsung S20FE) to control the trainer and play any tacx movies, and have the option of streaming a movie or something up on a telly on a trainer table. I don't have the space to have a dedicated set up with a laptop or tablet -- both my laptop and tablet are too old and slow to run the Tacx app, and connecting my PC to the telly is awkward. I have used Google TV to mirror my screen, but that tends to get laggy at the TV end because I have to set up so far from our router, so I gave up. When I first got it, I just used my phone and didn't have a table -- I listened to downloaded audio dramas on an MP3 player and had the phone sitting on my aerobars. You don't need a table and a telly, but they're nice to have.

Sam
Thanks Kim, I will suggest that to my tame cycle mechanic next time I am in the shop 😀
Audax / David Matthew's retirement
« Last post by Tull924 on Today at 10:22:24 am »
David Matthews (slohill on here) retired as an Audax UK organiser on Sunday.

David took over the Tour of the Berwyns 23 years ago (the event has been going over 30 years!).

The Tour of the Berwyns got me into audax, I had heard of audax and I had previously walked in the Berwyns on a couple of occasions and I was intrigued by both, this was one of my earliest audaxes and I have yet to find an audax that offers more (to me anyway). You leave Cheshire and ride out to the outskirts of Wrexham where you head into the hills. You ride along the stunning Llangollen Panorama Escarpment (that needs ot be on every cyclist's bucket list), on the old road between Llangollen and Corwen, as the route is usually run in May, there is a section that is covered in bluebells, the likes of you've never seen before. From Corwen you nearly get to Bala before turning for the Milltir Gerrig mountain pass, this essestially takes you over the back of the Berwyn mountain range and has a really wild, remote feel to it, the climb uphill has a short hard section at the bottom and then becomes a steady 4 mile climb followed by one of the best descents you could wish for into the Tanat valley. From here to Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant where it's always time to stop and refuel for the next section. This next section takes you into the heart of the Berwyns on rare visited roads, riding alongside a mountain stream on the edge of a broadleaf forest is another key element of the ride for me, eventually you end up at the very top of the Glyn Cieriog Valley meaning about 20km downhill all the way to Chirk passing near or through wooded sections where the smell of wild garlic is sensational. There is a little stinker out of Chirk at Pont Y Blew, not long and not particularily steep but it's enough! For me, from Panorama to here is the definitive section, this has remained the nub of the ride for over 30 years. The section from Pont y Blew to the HQ is still over 65km away, there are no outstanding stunning sections but David really has done a fantastic job of finding the absolute best lanes to the current HQ in Duddon, using his extensive local knowledge to keep the last 65km interesting and challenging. Duddon is a welcome alternative to the one I first rode that finished at the pub at the top of the bank in Kelsall!

David went on to create The Pistyll Packing Momma, another excursion into the Berwyns that visits Llyn Vyrnwy and drops down to Bala down my favourite all time descent, Hirnant Pass / Rhosygwalia. I rode the inaugraul event in 2011 and always remember the routesheet said, after we had been riding uphill for 2 miles, "turn right and now climb The Shelf", David also managed to squeeze a crossing over Hope Mountain just to completely finish you off. David retired from organising this event (and two shorter companion rides) three years ago and I took over as custodian for three years and as of this year there is a new organiser in the chair to keep the event available to the audax community.

David also created a Clwydian Series, three events starting in Corwen. Now, I've lived in North Wales for over 20 years and as a young air force cadet spent many hours around the Clwydians, I know all the areas, but somehow David's The Clwydian 200km took me places I had never been before, the route passes through significants parts of an Area of Oustanding Natural Beauty and culminates in a weary ascent up to the back of the Clocaenog Forest after which, true to the event listing, the last 20km is ALL downhill. David found a replacement organiser for these events about 5 years ago.

Finally David created another masterpiece in the Barmouth Boulevard (and companion rides). David really manages to showcase some of the best bits of North Wales: Bala Lake, the gated road to Trawsfynyd,  Harlech Castle, Barmouth Bridge, the wonderful valley south of Cadair Idris to Corris, the Bwlch y Groes from the hard side and a descent of the wondereful Hirnant Pass / Rhosygwalia. This was handed over to another organiser about three yearts ago.

When Mike Wigley suggested to me it was about time there was some Crewe organised events I decided to become an organiser and I could think of not better mentor than David. I approached him and he accepeted and showed me the ropes.

I am David's biggest fan. I think his legacy of keeping the Tour of the Berwyns running for many of it's 30+ year history is an acheivement in itself. To then create another three equally fabulous routes is really worth of applause! I absolutely passionate about these routes (in case you hadn't guessed), If you haven't ridden them then you really must add them to your bucket list. All four events and their companion events have been taken over by three organisers and we are working to get them set up as perms over the next year. David is no longer organising audaxes but will now focus on organising the Bob Clift Memorial Rides on behalf of Chester and North Wales CTC which os well worth entering early as it always gets full.

From me personally, and on behalf of the Audax UK, a massive heartfelt "Thank You" to David Matthews for 23 years of service to the audax community
Where The Wild Things Are / Re: Seen today
« Last post by cycleman on Today at 10:19:13 am »
On my way back from twitys tipis on Monday I spotted my first skylark singing merrily as it ascended  :)
The Knowledge / Re: Tyre width
« Last post by HTFB on Today at 09:44:26 am »
I've been riding Marathon Plus exclusively since before the millennium. At one point there was a lot of towpath in my life and I was up to 700x38s; now I think they're 700x32. Tyres that never make you stop and fix a puncture are the quickest of all.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Woofage on Today at 09:42:19 am »
Draining the Pool for You - The Go-Betweens
The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by fd3 on Today at 09:38:58 am »
Gillian Keegan and Rish!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-69013002
For playing political football with children.
The Knowledge / Re: Tyre width
« Last post by Asterix, the former Gaul. on Today at 09:25:38 am »
Two of my bikes have 700x28.  They are audax bikes and I think they are faster than my tourer which 600x1.75"s.  However, the tourer is more comfortable which is very important on the crappy road surfaces we now endure.  Tyres that can iron out more potholes may well be faster, like the tortoise and the hare and I also think that the construction of the tyre might be more important than the width factor. 

Tyres can make a big difference to how much I enjoy the ride, faster or not.

Regarding old frame stiffness, I found a large 531 frame too compliant for hill climbing, 531st is much better. My height and weight is the same as Eddie Merckx was in his day, but there is no other similarity! 
The Knowledge / SRAM Guide R sticky lever piston
« Last post by Tim Hall on Today at 09:23:50 am »
The Pino is fitted with SRAM Guide R brakes. In hot weather the (nylon) piston in the brake lever expands and sticks, which can led to the brake binding on.  This is a known fault and I understand that when it was first discovered there was a swap out programme.  Current Guide brakes have a slightly smaller piston and don't suffer from this.

Having watched a handful of YouTube videos I'm now a world expert familar with the basics of dismantling the lever and either replacing the piston or sanding it down a few thou. The actual sealing against the hydraulic fluid is done by , umm, seals.  The trickiest bit of the whole operation seems to be getting a snap ring out but I've identified a cheap set of snap ring pliers from Screwfix that other people have used succesfully.

Has anyone on here attempted this? How much fun was it?
The Knowledge / Re: Smart trainer
« Last post by fimm on Today at 09:23:01 am »
You'll need a tablet, laptop or smartphone to talk to the smart trainer in order to run any of Zwift/Rouvy/FullGaz/whatever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10