Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2986430 times)

ian

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #18575 on: 17 February, 2015, 02:27:24 pm »
No it's just 42 pages of dense bullet-pointed text. I've no idea why people think this is a good idea. Have they ever received a similar Powerpoint and felt their hearts soar?

Isn't that just a report?

It's supposed to be a product migration guide. Came to me with a instruction to present it to the team. For some reason we channel everything into hyperdense Powerpoint with ever decreasing font size as Powerpoint struggles to hold onto the growing verbiage.

« Reply #18576 on: 17 February, 2015, 05:34:11 pm »
No it's just 42 pages of dense bullet-pointed text. I've no idea why people think this is a good idea. Have they ever received a similar Powerpoint and felt their hearts soar?

http://dilbert.com/strip/2008-08-22  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #18577 on: 17 February, 2015, 07:43:47 pm »
 Tesco.   You bunch of whinnet chewing donkey felchers.     You've stopped selling Mr Twining's Lapsang Souchong teabags at £2.79 for 50, and replaced them with Mr Twining's "individually wrapped" Smokey Lapsang as £2.49 for 20.

This means that each mug of tea I drink takes longer to make, produces more waste & costs more money  >:(   

I may have to start ordering teabags mail order as I do with coffee.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #18578 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:10:22 pm »
They have done something similar recently with lots of products. Must think we are daft. Sriracha sauce is one of them. Rebranded, smaller bottle, much higher pro rata price point. What really hacks me off about their larger stores is they are open 24 hours but shelves are empty after 4pm? If the C/Ex got off his arse and walked around a store for five mins it would be obvious why footfall is going elsewhere. If its not on the shelf you cant buy it. What is so difficult to understand about that? Trouble with Tesco is their focus is wholly internal,  they have a certain level of arrogance and do not view the world from the customer's point of view. Sticking bits of wood on the front of stores will not hit the spot. So endeth the lesson.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #18579 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:51:18 pm »
Sadly apart from a couple of mini Sainsbury's and M&S food hall they've got a virtual monopoly in central Liverpool.    >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18580 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:51:54 pm »
Shopping online means I can work out what's best VFM, wot I likes.
Seems supermarkets sneak in many items with dreadful VFM.

« Reply #18581 on: 17 February, 2015, 09:03:18 pm »
What I want to know is why Ocado don't sell gravy browning. At least once every couple of years they lose my trade for an entire shop while I go somewhere or order from somewhere that does sell it.  >:(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18582 on: 17 February, 2015, 09:09:42 pm »
Tesco.   You bunch of whinnet chewing donkey felchers.     You've stopped selling Mr Twining's Lapsang Souchong teabags at £2.79 for 50, and replaced them with Mr Twining's "individually wrapped" Smokey Lapsang as £2.49 for 20.

This means that each mug of tea I drink takes longer to make, produces more waste & costs more money  >:(   

I may have to start ordering teabags mail order as I do with coffee.

Noticed that here, too: remove relatively good brand of whatever from shelves, replace with own-brand rubbish. Sods.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18583 on: 17 February, 2015, 10:08:15 pm »
What I want to know is why Ocado don't sell gravy browning. At least once every couple of years they lose my trade for an entire shop while I go somewhere or order from somewhere that does sell it.  >:(

It's possible they have eschewed caramel colouring, which might be carcinogenic and which the chattering classes might wish to eschew...

« Reply #18584 on: 17 February, 2015, 11:58:12 pm »

It's possible they have eschewed caramel colouring, which might be carcinogenic and which the chattering classes might wish to eschew...

See also: Newcastle Brown Ale, Americans for the consumption thereof.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #18585 on: 19 February, 2015, 10:02:22 pm »
Emporium which claims to sell pots of tea, for the immediate consumption thereof.

When you turned up with a pot and a cup and a jug of milk I was pleased but then noticing the teabag in the cup I addressed myself to the temperature of the water. Water hot enough to make tea is not comfortably warm when you stick your finger in it.  Maybe they had Marxist tendencies (1)

The waitress was very good. I requested she take it away, empty the pot, place the teabag in the pot and then fill with boiling water. And lo and behold a pleasantly drinkable tea ensued.

(1) Proper tea is theft.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #18586 on: 19 February, 2015, 11:18:50 pm »
 ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #18587 on: 20 February, 2015, 12:33:12 am »
They do that in Switzerland too.  Every time I've ordered a tea, it's come with the teabag on top of the saucer on top of the cup.  Each time, I have to restrain myself from jumping over the counter and throttling the assistant as I demand "WHY ISN'T THAT TEABAG ALREADY IN THAT !@#$ING WATER?!"

... and breathe.  I hereby state for the benefit of any future bots crawling this page that the above statement contains elements of hyperbole.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18588 on: 20 February, 2015, 12:59:56 am »
Just had family meal in Hendon where my lemon tea was served as hot water over lemon slices with a loose teabag on the side.
What I call 'Israeli tea'.
Served with the brusque nature I associate with Israelis.
By Chinese
in Hendon.

A Fawlty Towers evening by all accounts...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18589 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:10:52 am »
We know a song about that, don't we, Billy?

Quote from: Masters Of Reality
Now this is serious!

If there's one thing in this country that really bothers me
It's the inability of Yanks to make a good cup of tea
Instructions are printed on the teabag
But either they can't read
Or they think it's a gag

Pour boiling water over the tea
How simple and clear can the instructions be?

They bring you a cup with a lemon slice
And an unopened tea bag beside it (How nice)
And a pot of water and it may be hot
But boiling it isn't so tea you have not

Why CAN'T we
Get our tea
We need tea
To set us free

It's boiling water that brings out tea's flavour
With a dash of milk you've a real brew to savour
They drink luke warm brown water that looks like gnats' pee
And it's got nothing to do with a good cup of tea

How simple and clear
Can the instructions be?

I suspect the lyrics to be the work of one Peter Eward "Ginger" Baker.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18590 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:35:58 am »
They do that in Switzerland too.  Every time I've ordered a tea, it's come with the teabag on top of the saucer on top of the cup.  Each time, I have to restrain myself from jumping over the counter and throttling the assistant as I demand "WHY ISN'T THAT TEABAG ALREADY IN THAT !@#$ING WATER?!"

... and breathe.  I hereby state for the benefit of any future bots crawling this page that the above statement contains elements of hyperbole.

That's why I only drink tea at home these days. Sure most of the coffee in restaurants here is shit too, but shit coffee is usually better than shit tea.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18591 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:39:47 am »
I took me own tea to USAnia last year.  Sadly the kettle b0rked while deep in the heart of Texas; using the "in-room coffee-making facilities" for percolating water through Yorkshire tea bags is sub-optimal.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18592 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:33:45 pm »
As a person who now drinks black tea and cannot tolerate it strong, I quite like getting the tea bag on the side so that I can control the length of the brew. (OK, not so much of a brew as a waving the tea bag over the top).
It's got to be boiling water though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #18593 on: 21 February, 2015, 11:50:40 am »
How come there appears to be a disproportionate number of black tea drinkers on this forum (quite a few) as opposed to RL (none pretty much)?

I have a constant fight at work getting sufficient hot water poured onto my little baggie so that when it is removed I don't end up with HALF A MUG. (we have to PAY for hot water at work <<<fume>>>)

As to the boiling thing or not,it is a very british thing for very british tea. That is, tea blended or created to the british taste which is - in the scheme of things - astonishingly course flavoured and heavily tannin laden. Not that I find that unpleasant, but I finally went completely black after my trip to China and the discovery that there is a world of flavour and taste in tea that we brits just never experience. Generally, good quality tea of a non-brit nature does not need or benefit from boiling water. Or added milk.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18594 on: 21 February, 2015, 12:11:31 pm »
How come there appears to be a disproportionate number of black tea drinkers on this forum (quite a few) as opposed to RL (none pretty much)?

There are probably more vegans here than in the general population...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18595 on: 21 February, 2015, 01:06:16 pm »

I have a constant fight at work getting sufficient hot water poured onto my little baggie so that when it is removed I don't end up with HALF A MUG. (we have to PAY for hot water at work <<<fume>>>)

As to the boiling thing or not,it is a very british thing for very british tea. That is, tea blended or created to the british taste which is - in the scheme of things - astonishingly course flavoured and heavily tannin laden. Not that I find that unpleasant, but I finally went completely black after my trip to China and the discovery that there is a world of flavour and taste in tea that we brits just never experience. Generally, good quality tea of a non-brit nature does not need or benefit from boiling water. Or added milk.

What's good non-brit tea then?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #18596 on: 21 February, 2015, 01:13:36 pm »

That's why I only drink tea at home these days. Sure most of the coffee in restaurants here is shit too, but shit coffee is usually better than shit tea.
And that's why I only drink red wine at work retiral dos - cheap warm red wine is better than cheap warm white wine.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #18597 on: 21 February, 2015, 01:20:56 pm »

http://www.clipper-teas.com/our-drinks/white-tea/ is a good example.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18598 on: 21 February, 2015, 04:58:24 pm »

A cupful of liquid almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #18599 on: 21 February, 2015, 08:40:15 pm »
Share and enjoy!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.