Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
OT Knowledge / Re: Plumbing suggestions
« Last post by De Sisti on Today at 12:57:22 pm »
If you fitted a roll-top bath would it really matter if it was flush to the wall?

With my roll-top bath it isn't an issue.

Health & Fitness / Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Last post by Beardy on Today at 12:43:50 pm »
Blimey, it isn’t actually as long as I had thought since my last run. I don’t know why I stopped again so suddenly though. I suppose I’ve not been at my best in the intervening months though.

No, I’ve not started running again, partly because I’ve still got something going on with my lungs (appointment at the breathing clinic at the end of this month). But I am feeling particularly unhealthy just now, and needed to do something ™.

So, I’ve started walking for exercise, rather than just to get somewhere. This basically entails me putting on my running gear and going out specifically for exercise. This means that I don’t get annoyed at getting hot and sweaty, which I do with even moderate exercise, thus improving the exercise value of what I’m doing.

I’m not going mad though, so no major aches or pains, but the one thing that is a bit painful is my lower back. I really need to do some yoga or Pilates or such to try and strengthen some muscles. 

The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by barakta on Today at 12:40:32 pm »
To be fair, I have to say that blind and visually impaired people are unhappy with floating bus stops and are likely to avoid travelling in their areas or may not report being hit or abused by people on bikes because they don't feel they will be believed.

We need to find something more blind friendly.
OT Knowledge / Re: Plumbing suggestions
« Last post by robgul on Today at 12:39:48 pm »
Can you line the walls with an additonal layer of thin "backer board" (a cement type board) that would bring the wall out almost over the edge of the bath - and the board is an excellent surface for tiling on.  Sealing would then be just a thin bead.
OT Knowledge / Re: Gabion basket wall - not vertical
« Last post by robgul on Today at 12:36:38 pm »
In my opinion - yes . .  the stones tend to "settle" a bit over time and look likely to fall away from the wall.     BUT what is the gabion doing, it seems an odd place to have something that high?
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 12:27:41 pm »
Forty Sheep And Twenty Reindeer ~ Michael Nyman
On the electromechanical systems I used to work with in the oil industry, they were rated for a max working pressure of 20,000psi at the bottom of a borehole full of hot sometimes conductive mud.

On hydraulically-operated equipment, the downhole motor and pump sat in the hydraulic reservoir, which then had a floating piston with the other side open to the borehole.
Thus the entire hydraulic system was equalised up to the external hydrostatic pressure.

So the hydraulic pump was generating 3000psi *relative to hydrostatic*.
This means there's no pressure differential across the instrument body between inside and out.
So you'd fill the motor with non-conductive oil, and have a piston or diaphragm to equalise pressure?

What about bearings? Just the same?
The Pub / Re: The best of ai LLM
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Today at 12:20:41 pm »
They can switch to renewable power, but they hoover up water to use for cooling. Resource use isn't just about energy.

Sam

It isn't black and white though.

Quite a lot recycle the water.

Some redistribute it to municiple heating.
Some redistribute it to greenhouses.
The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Today at 12:19:00 pm »
Mark fucking Harper again.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/article/2024/may/10/uk-floating-bus-stops-cycle-lanes

In London, which has the highest number of floating bus stops in the UK, statistics for 2020-22 showed that of 623 pedestrians injured after being struck by a bike, 0.6% of them – four in all – were hit at floating bus stops. None of these incidents appeared to have happened at a designated crossing point.

Over the same period, 11,400 pedestrians and 15,000 cyclists were injured after being hit by motor vehicles.

Yeah, but we don't need no stinking facts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10