Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2194130 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #10700 on: 01 January, 2016, 03:05:31 pm »
Removed an old electrical back box and replaced with another, bought the wrong filler, this is a fine filler so used some left over exterior tube filler. Next is stick some conduit up with some fake no more nails and then maybe wander in to Paris with the camera to see the lights.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #10701 on: 01 January, 2016, 04:22:44 pm »
Sorted out one of the (two) boxes of scarves, hats and gloves that lives in the hallway.

Fixed the Bluetooth on the car (can now make and receive calls, as well as play music)

Did two lots of washing, including a load of mouldy gloves I found in the garage. Now need to bring the first load in and hang it up as it mainly wool stuff.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #10702 on: 01 January, 2016, 08:00:21 pm »
Fence.  Couple of new posts after Wednesday's breezes did for the old ones.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #10703 on: 01 January, 2016, 08:55:52 pm »
Mrs Ham's bedroom athletics weren't all they could be.

They are slippers, what else did you think you dirty bunch?

Anyhow, she has worn away the sole, so I decided to have a go fettling. I has affixed to the surface a length of trimmed opened out inner tube, using shoe goo. I have no idea how long or effective the repair will be but it amused me sufficiently to share.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10704 on: 01 January, 2016, 11:09:37 pm »
I have bedroom athletics too :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10705 on: 02 January, 2016, 12:36:34 am »
What have slippers got to do with bedroom athletics?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10706 on: 02 January, 2016, 12:28:10 pm »
I though Bedroom Athletics were a non-league football team until I discovered yacf.

The sheepskin one, please.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #10707 on: 02 January, 2016, 03:55:31 pm »
Before

After

;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10708 on: 02 January, 2016, 05:49:19 pm »
Excellent us of old inner tube there.

I have cropped my mudguard stays. This seemingly simple task has taken me all afternoon, mostly in walking to the tool shop for increasingly large cutters, culminating in BFO bolt cutters and lots of pinging. Still haven't found one ping but it's not a pingfuckit so this doesn't really matter. Except it's somewhere indoors and will doubtless be discovered barefoot. Anyway, my mudguard fits better now.

I did the last one with just a junior hacksaw.  ???
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #10709 on: 02 January, 2016, 07:10:36 pm »
My washing machine is now back in a state of poverty and seems happy to spin like a dervish while not emitting the sort of sound last heard when trying to put the Metro in which I took my driving test into first gear.

Hurrah!

« Reply #10710 on: 02 January, 2016, 07:14:49 pm »
Spent far too long putting my right SPD back together today, but eventually managed it (I hope). Had to go through the unmaking of said pedal because somewhere on my ride today one of the  2 cleat bolts pingfuckited into the I knownotwhere leaving my right shoe loosely attached to the bike. Would have been an easy matter to take the pedal off and rotate the shoe off the cleat, then pry the cleat out if some overmuscular mechanic hadn't over torqued it during it's service.
Still I have discovered that Evans sell single cleat bolts for 99p each  :thumbsup: standard postage costs £1.98  ::-)
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #10711 on: 02 January, 2016, 07:23:48 pm »
Been building up the Cross-Check :)

IMG_0476 by ian, on Flickr

IMG_0475 by ian, on Flickr

« Reply #10712 on: 02 January, 2016, 09:32:07 pm »
That looks rather nice Windy.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #10713 on: 04 January, 2016, 07:14:52 pm »
Installed new rear surround speakers (Tannoy Vi); moved old ones (Wharfedale Diamond 9.0) into the Chips Room.  Sound quality improvement over crappy old no-name items quite startling :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10714 on: 04 January, 2016, 09:13:35 pm »
Why such a splay on the handlebars?

I've been swapping wheels.  Giant winter bike into the shed, to go out on the road, Orbea with no mudguards onto the turbo.

Required
- wheels off Orbea, change cassette (9sp for 10sp) for the Giant
- Giant off turbo, turbo wheel off, other wheels on
- 9sp cassette on the turbo wheel, orbea onto turbo.

With one spare 9sp and one spare 10sp left over, I should have them the right way round.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10715 on: 07 January, 2016, 03:28:58 pm »
I have just fixed the first puncture of the year. Fortunately it was discovered at home. Flint shard.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10716 on: 07 January, 2016, 03:30:08 pm »
Hm, I don't think I had any punctures in 2015...

ETA: Ah no.  Hawthorn vs mountain bike on its second proper outing.

« Reply #10717 on: 07 January, 2016, 04:15:15 pm »
The other day I assembled a new double bed in a spare room formerly known as a "the unsightly tip we chuck all manner of things no use to man nor ornament but might be useful one day."

The new bed is an ottoman divan.

Assembling the bed was quite straightforward, as you'd expect, other than fitting the top to the hydraulic rams. This stage was recommended as a two man task. It proved to be rather tricky for me to fit on my own, but I got it done. Fortunately I did not need to be rescued from inside the ottoman at any stage.

Today's task is to clear the room we've been using until now - the main problem being how to condense the old bed and mattress so they fit into a Peugeot 208, for their final journey, in as few trips as possible - and without ending up with dust and fluff everywhere (hence careful removal of the covering and padding). Preferably no more than one trip.

I'm taking the covering off both halves of the base. The next stage is to decide whether to cut the frames or convert them into two shelves for my shed. If I reuse the frames I suspect I might get everything else in the car. Might be a bit tight if I decide not to reuse the frames, but at least it'll have been reduced to just timber so it can be stored outside without getting too messy.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #10718 on: 07 January, 2016, 04:17:10 pm »
Too much £££'s-worth of Ti on the Brompton.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #10719 on: 07 January, 2016, 04:45:25 pm »
Plumbed a Fleabay special cassette deck into the Babbage-Engine and even found the very very hidden wossname in Windows to allow me to hear what I'm recording.  I do not know why I couldn't hear this when every other bleep, bong, sound effect and sound from audio/video comes straight out of the squeakers without needing a kick up the ronson first ???

« Reply #10720 on: 07 January, 2016, 07:01:10 pm »
I just put a new pair of brake pads on the front brake of the commuter.  It wasn't that long ago that I changed them last.  They can wear down at an alarming rate when the weather's been a bit wet, and the mix of water and road gunge forms a nice paste to help grind them away.

... and another set, so that's just under two months, since it's been two months and five days, but I didn't use the bike very much over Christmas and the New Year.

The mileage was probably around 1000 miles.

At least cartridge pads are fast to change, two grub screws out, slide the pads out, slide the new set in, replace the grub screws and release the cable tension to allow for the new pads.  Less than five minutes of effort.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #10721 on: 07 January, 2016, 08:38:14 pm »
  • Bled a couple of radiators
  • Refilled boiler
  • Stabbed myself in the solar plexus with a screwdriver ow ouchy ow

Bleed valve on bathroom radiator is completely inaccessible to anyone without three elbows, eyes on stalks and LEDs built into their fingertips.  Bled same by undoing GBFO Hexagonal Thing at opposite end.  For my next birthday: a 22mm (?) socket.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10722 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:00:21 pm »
  • Bled a couple of radiators
  • Refilled boiler
  • Stabbed myself in the solar plexus with a screwdriver ow ouchy ow

Bleed valve on bathroom radiator is completely inaccessible to anyone without three elbows, eyes on stalks and LEDs built into their fingertips.  Bled same by undoing GBFO Hexagonal Thing at opposite end.  For my next birthday: a 22mm (?) socket.

My ex has three elbows[1], but is unfortunately a complete liability with a screwdriver.

[1] This becomes readily apparent to anyone attempting to share a bed with them.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #10723 on: 08 January, 2016, 06:12:03 pm »
Divorced my collection of Battle Mountain posters from their frames, stuck 'em down to suitably-sized pieces of plain white paper and put 'em back in the frames.  This has eliminated the unsightly brown stripe down each side and was made possible by the appearance of a branch of Hobbycraft next door to Halfrauds, selling A2 paper at 50p a sheet.

Haven't put them back up yet, because that involves ladders.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10724 on: 09 January, 2016, 07:02:14 pm »
Degunked six separate parts of the washing machine and reacquainted myself with Shimano chains. Need a new cassette new. A decent chain wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.